golf gti 1.8 idle problem - squibsquib
My golf gti 1.8 (year 89) has an idling problem. Sometimes it idles ok and other times the idle speed goes up and down. I think it could be the idle control valve. If it is were would i locate this in the engine and how would i repair it? Many thanks.
golf gti 1.8 idle problem - Kuang
GTIs can be a pig to adjust properly, so consider making that your last option - check first that the air filter is ok, that there aren't any leaks in the vacuum pipes and that the valve in the airbox isn't sticking as those are common cause of hunting. You could also check the timing belt tension, but you'd probably already know if that was the issue.
golf gti 1.8 idle problem - Peter D
The throttle body is mounted on a rudder isolation gasket and often splits at around 8 years old. If you move the throttle body side to side and back and forth and the tick over changes then there is you problem. Regards Peter
golf gti 1.8 idle problem - Rab355
The idle control valve is mounted above the cam cover and between the oil filler cap and the breather valve. It is cylindrical with an aluminium body. It has a hose connected to the end nearest the oil filler and an electrical connection at the opposite end. When the ignition is turned on it should buzz (more easily felt by holding the valve rather than heard).
If the valve is doing its job, it should be possible to drive along in 5th gear with no throttle and the engine holding 750 to 850 revs.

A fault with these engines that does cause uneven idle is breakage of the wires to the throttle switches.
golf gti 1.8 idle problem - Robert Fleming
The ICV gets gunked up from not changing the oil often enough/using cheap stuff.

Take it off (can be a little tricky if the rubber under the circlips has been undisturbed since birth) and give it a thorough clean out with carb cleaner.

I had to clean the whole breather system before mine would behave itself (and sometimes after parking up on hot days it still goes a little beserk).

Rob