Garage problems - legal advice needed - Middle Earth
We are currently having a dispute with a local garage over a car purchased from them just over a year ago and I am looking for any advice on how to proceed with our case.

The car is a Renault Clio 1.2 and was purchased 13 months ago and had 9K on the clock at the time. Within 2 weeks of us having the car it developed a problem starting. It would take anything between 4 ? 10 attempts to start it.

We took the car back to the garage (Independent Renault Dealer) for them to look at. They played around with the car for a few days and claimed to have solved the problem.

Everything seemed fine for about 6 weeks, but then the fault came back and was identical to what had happened previously. The car went back to the garage, they had a look at it and claimed they couldn?t find a fault. One of the main problems we have had is the fault doesn?t seem to have any pattern, one day it will be fine and the next it wont so there is a possibility that they did not experience any problems when they had the car.

This scenario continued over the next few months ? car not starting, we report it to garage, they take it in for a day, claim to have fixed the problem only for it to re-occur several weeks later. Each time they come up with a different reason, changed sensors, changed fuses, reset the computer etc.

My other half lost all faith in the car so I visited the garage again to try and sort something out, once and for all. This all culminated in a rather heated discussion with the manager, he came out all guns blazing and tried to shout me down. Eventually he realised I wasn?t moving until something was sorted out. We decided that they would provide us with a courtesy car and take our Renault indefinitely until the problem was rectified. This would allow them to discover the fault by running it day to day and hopefully repair it.

Three weeks later we get the car back and they claimed to have found the fault and repaired it.

A month later the problems surface again. This time we call them and they send a mechanic round to the house to look at the car. The car was hooked up to the computer and four faults appeared on the diagnostic. Unfortunately I wasn?t there at the time, but the mechanic did say to my other half that during the three weeks that they had the car it did not fault, rather they changed a few things hoping that that would be the solution. So now we are getting 2 stories and the plot is beginning to thicken. Yet again the mechanic played around with a few things and the car seemed to be ok for a few weeks.

We are now 13 months on from the purchase of the car and the fault has not been rectified.

This is where I need your advice. We have been keeping a log of dates/times when the fault occurs, the weather conditions, mileage on the clock etc for the last 6 months or so. Unfortunately the warranty that the car was sold with has now lapsed (12 month warranty), but under the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, we are entitled, in my opinion, to an effective free of charge repair.

I have thus far tried to keep dealings on an informal and amicable footing with the garage, but now feel that this route has been fully exhausted with no real resolution. My gut reaction tells me that either the garage genuinely cannot find fault with the car or that they know what is wrong, but are unwilling to divulge this as it would be a rather costly repair and would prefer to fob us off.

Any advice on how to proceed with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Garage problems - legal advice needed - malteser
Get proper legal advice!
Roger in Spain
Garage problems - legal advice needed - Vansboy
Just checked 'car by car breakdown' link to our left. Were they checking the known coil problems??

First off....

Meet the manager you had a barny with, apologise!!

Give him the that list of the failures, that you've made.
Confirm they're looking for the same thing.
Let them have one more chance to sort the faults.
Follow this with a letter confirming that you are of the opinion that the car was defective when they sold it to you & you will be formally rejecting it, should the problems re-occour.(not much chance, 'cos of how long you've had it, but looks like you mean business!)

If you bought it on finance, through the dealer, send the finance company a copy of your complaint, asking what they can do to help you.

Ask that your warranty be extended by 12 months, to give you some re-assurance, that things are now OK. No harm in asking.

Check with the previous owner, as to if they had similar problems.If they can't be traced, or was owned by Renault themselves, ask for a FULL breakdown of any repairs or service work carried out prior to you owning it.

See how you go!

VB

Garage problems - legal advice needed - carl_a
Its a Renault what did you expect, get it working again then sell it and buy something reliable there's no point in wasting your time with it.
Garage problems - legal advice needed - BobbyG
Carl, its always annoying when someone is trying to get a valid problem solved, which is the purpose of this thread, to be met by an answer like yours.

As with all threads, only contribute if there is something constructive to be added.
Garage problems - legal advice needed - carl_a
Point taken BobbyG.
Garage problems - legal advice needed - Ivor E Tower
You need to get proper legal advice - this sounds very similar to the problem my parents have with their Volvo 850, which will occasionally not start when warm. The problem developed after they had had the car for about 6 years, so obvioulsy well out of any guarantee, and despite 2 overnight investigations by a main dealer, no problem can be found and the on-board computers are not logging any faults. The AA have no sympathy and are now invoking the "charge you if we get called out again" clause despite dad being a memeber for over 50 years. Volvo UK were not interested and just referred them back to the dealer, who cannot find anything wrong! The only solution appears to be to sell the car, which is what they are now in the process of doing. It may be easier for you to do this too - I know it will cost money but hopefully you will not get another car with the same type of fault.
Garage problems - legal advice needed - Dwight Van Driver
The fact that you have put up with the problem for so long, al beit vehicle back and forward to Garage may, and I repeat may,work to your detriment if you are trying to reject the vehicle under Sof GA.

As Malteser and I E T suggest it may be prudent to get proper legal advice on this one starting firstly with Trading Standards.
Run the problem passed them and see what they suggest and then consult solicitor.

DVD
Garage problems - legal advice needed - Vansboy
& don't forget the guy I mentioned in other Backroomers customer/dealer problems...

www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties

Talk to Stephen Rhodes weekdays 10am - 12 mid day.Doesn't matter if you're not in beds, Herts, Bucks & he sorts problems FAIRLY, not into slanging matches with the offending company.

It's an entertaining consumer prog. worth a listen 95.5FM, 630MW.

08459455555 the number to call, while they are on the air. You'll need to go 'live' to get your matter heard, too.

VB
Garage problems - legal advice needed - paulb {P}
As Malteser and I E T suggest it may be prudent
to get proper legal advice on this one starting firstly with
Trading Standards.
Run the problem passed them and see what they suggest and
then consult solicitor.

IME, sadly, Trading Standards are absolutely hopeless with this sort of thing - I tried to involve them when I was having a punch-up with a SEAT dealer last year. The guy there was pleasant enough, but said that they couldn't get involved at all, unless there was something going on for which they could prosecute someone.

I think now is the time for solicitor-type legal advice, especially if the service manager is inclined to be as unhelpful as you describe.
Garage problems - legal advice needed - David Horn
Carl A - this is completely off topic, but selling it is completely unfair. What happens when the next owner experiences the same problems and has to start from scratch?

Is it naive of me to assume this? Has anyone here ever sold a car knowing that it has a fault but kept quiet? I guess it\'s fair enough if it\'s a mega problem and they don\'t check the car properly, but this is an intermittant thing and a decent mechanic would give the car a once over, say, \"Looks like a good deal!\" and then a new owner is stuffed.

I severely dislike people like that and don\'t mind making it obvious.
Garage problems - legal advice needed - Aprilia
I have sold lots of cars in my time, but never knowingly sold a car with a major defect to a private punter.
Once we did sell a Mini with a very worn clutch to a woman who wanted it for her daughter (who'd just passed her test). The car was sold *way* below book value because of the clutch and I told the woman in no uncertain terms that it would definitely need a new clutch.

Within two weeks she was on the 'phone complaining the clutch was slipping and was going to the CAB, TS, local paper etc. etc.
I learnt a lesson from that one.

By far the most difficult customers were the middle-class women.

I *have* sold a few duff cars through the auctions - but that is what they're there for, LOL!! - and generally its only other traders that get stung.
Garage problems - legal advice needed - Dalglish
and generally its only other traders that get stung.

>>

my personal view - someone further down the chain is likely to be a trusting and decent punter. but that is business ethics for some people.

i believe the decent thing would be to sell it to the dealers who claims there is nothing wrong with the car and then let them sell it on with their legal obligations and/or with a warranty.

Garage problems - legal advice needed - Aprilia
my personal view - someone further down the chain is likely
to be a trusting and decent punter. but that is business
ethics for some people.

Not just business ethics, my friend. Spend a bit of time in the car trade, as I have done, and you will find that you get plenty of problems from the middle-class 'moral majority' trying to cheat dealers (who are all assumed to be dishonest and therefore fair game).
Examples include trade-ins being brought in with equipment removed (i.e. no spare, no radio, good tyres swapped for nearly bald part-worns - you get the idea). You spot a slight colour mismatch and so ask if car has ever been damaged - they tell you 'no' and then you find they've just had it back from repairers following a major accident. Or you find that they overheated it last week and the head gasket is gone.
Dealers get stung like this more often than you would think.

One advantage of buying at auction (where, it has to be said, there can be a lot of iffy cars at the general sales) is that if you do pick a bad one you can put it back into the ring the following week and not lose very much money.
... from the middle-class 'moral majority' ...

i have wish to hijack this thread so i will just add these final personal opinions.

aprilia:

i agree what you say about private sellers can be quite true.

recent published research has proved your point that the words middle-class and high-moral-values are oxymorons.

we all know how private car sellers can be dishonest but they are not in business doing it everyday.

we also know how some motor dealers have an arthur daley reputation.

my philosophy is that because someone else uses bad practices, whether private or business, it is no justification for me to follow their example.
freudian slip! correction :-) :

" i have NO wish to hijack this thread so "
Garage problems - legal advice needed - Bill Payer
i believe the decent thing would be to sell it to
the dealers who claims there is nothing wrong with the car
and then let them sell it on with their legal obligations
and/or with a warranty.

It would be interesting to see if they knocked the value down due to a fault which their workshop can't find. Having said that, even if Ivor's parents went down this route (would they really want another Volvo) the dealer would probably trade on or auction their car - most main dealers for any franchise are not interested in 6 yr old cars.