Engine Knocking-Rover 25 - midlifecrisis
My wifes 25 has a slight knocking noise that appears to be coming from behind the engine. It is noticable when the engine is cold, but quietens down when warm. There is no noticeable drop in performance.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Should have said, it's a 1.4 with 28000 miles.
Engine Knocking-Rover 25 - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Probably a little piston 'slap' when cold. Has it spent its life doing lots of short runs? My Suzuki Vitara does the same, as does my dads 1985 Micra with 50k on the clock. As long as it disappears when warm and is not using any vital fluids not worth bothering about.
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Engine Knocking-Rover 25 - Civic8
I may be wrong but think the pistons are hardened on these engines.which makes it prone to as andrew said piston slap the colder the engine the worse it is.had it on all rovers I have had 214/216/..827 wasn`t that bad but was the Honda unit ie 827 only suffered tappet noise.I doubt you have anything to worry about? as you are talking about 25 do regular checks and do replace oil/filter at or before times and also anti freeze.I gather the head gasket is or has been updated.be aware these units do need to be kept an eye on.first sign of H/G failure may be oil in water it seems to be common prob.?
Thanks for the replys. I've just serviced the car and changed the coolant. All with my own fair (actually oily) hands. Rover wanted £210 for something that cost me less than £35 parts.
Engine Knocking-Rover 25 - stressed eric
This does sound like piston \'slap\' and the only real cure is to have new teflon coated pistons, which to be fair is not worth doing if no damage is being done. The only ones I know which get repaired are under the Rover 3 year warranty(from new).