Pug406 HDi - stiff accelerator - AdrianM
The accelerator on my 406hdi is very stiff (firm is probably a better description)- I'm used to it, but everyone else (ie SWMBO)who drives it complains. I have tried jiggling with the adjuster and this seems to make it a little lighter for a short while but it is soon back to normal.

Am I missing a trick? Should I have it replaced (it looks & feels OK from under the bonnet) or is this typical of HDi's?

At least my right leg gets a good work-out each day!

Any advice appreciated.
Pug406 HDi - stiff accelerator - Andrew-T
Assuming it is cable-driven like the 306, have you tried detaching the cable at the far end and lubricating it? Try a squirt of SG85 (white spray grease with PTFE).
Pug406 HDi - stiff accelerator - DL
It is cable driven, between the pedal and the pedal demand sensor which is near the radiator. The cable runs to about 4ft in length.

Easiest way out of this is to compare your car with another, unless you like lubricating cables and getting all oily!

Modern bowden cables are teflon lined to minimise friction, oiling them will do no good whatsoever.

Hoew many miles has the car done?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Pug406 HDi - stiff accelerator - jc
Make sure the cable is correctly routed;ie. the the bends in it are not too tight-sometimes the cable gets caught on the wrong side of one of the components in the engine bay.Disconnect the cable from the engine demand sensor and then you can check if the stiffness is in the cable or the sensor.
Pug406 HDi - stiff accelerator - DL
The demand sensor has a large spring inside to return it to the idle position, with hand pressure it takes some force to move it!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
I was prompted to post because I have driven two other 406 hdi's in the last couple of weeks and they made me realise just how heavy my accelerator is!

I'll check the car over in light of the suggestions made (for which, many thanks).

The car has done 60k miles (V reg).
Thanks for replies - now (touch wood) feels fine.

I disconnected the cable from the demand sensor. Cable moved freely and sensor was fairly easy to turn by hand. Re-routed the cable under a couple of pipes that it ran over before and clipped it into all three guide clips (previously only clipped in two, perhaps because it was stretched over the two pipes?).

Incredible the difference this simple fix has made.
Pug406 HDi - stiff accelerator - gelston
I had same stiff accelerator on my 406 hdi 90 2003. Assumed I needed a new cable after 220k miles but was wrong. It was just that it had stretched over time and I was pushing the peddle against the carpet. Pulled off the paper clip looking thing from the outer cable, took up the slack in the outer cable and refitted said clip. Instantly like driving a new car. Cheap fix too £0 and 5 minutes labour.