omega climate control illumination - johnboy
Just managed to change the dashboard light bulbs in 15 minutes, thanks to a 2002 posting which I knew would come in handy one day. Current problem though is that the bulbs behind the climate control buttons need changing. Any tips on how to remove the climate panel/radio to get at the bulbs? I assume the ash tray plays a part, but I can't work out how to remove it.
omega climate control illumination - smokie
Search here, I did it some time back. I think the poster was Robert.

I would help but...

From memory - remove the ashtray, then the radio and it's case. Put your hand in the hole where the radio was and reach upwards, there is a horizontal bar towrds the front (no, not the cable which I pulled) which pulls downwards, and releases the latch holding the whole of the unit containing the bulbs in place. Takes about 10 mins when you know how...

IIRC the bulbs were about £2 each from a Vx dealer, I bought a spare just in case, but then didn't have enough!
omega climate control illumination - Dynamic Dave
I *think* this is one of the threads to which Smokie is refering to:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=16267

omega climate control illumination - smokie
Thank you DD :-)
Thanks for your help D.D. and Smokie
omega climate control illumination - RobertH
john
did u manage to change the bulbs as i tried same on my 1998cdx but could not find the bar every one talks about so ended up taking it to local electronic fitter charged me £55 to change 2 bulbs yuk

RobertH
omega climate control illumination - Sooty Tailpipes
A few more hints, I had big trouble finding the bar, in fact I pulled out a loom support that was made of coat hanger wire, I have no idea where it belongs!

You need to have removed the radio cage, and have your hand upside down in that aperture!

The bar is about the width of your hand and square section bar - feels about 4mm thick. It's like a die cast zinc? bar.

You can probably feel a thick bunch of wires wrapped in fabric tape that's hone all sticky, the bar is kind of hidden behind this!

You need very strong fingers to wriggle them about and manipulate the loom, then pull the bar down!

Well, you have to pull it straight down about 1cm, this unlatches it at either end, if you don't pull it evenly, it will just unlatch one side. once this has happened, the whole console will pull out of the dash, as long as you haven't fogotten a screw (behind dash)

Once apart, you will see how it works, and it will be easier next time, you may like to attatch something to the bat like a cable tie or ribbon that you cn pull next time!
omega climate control illumination - RobertH
sooty
read the thread thanks for that
thanks jonboy

robertH
Robert H
No, haven't tried to change the bulbs yet. I'm assuming you have to remove the ashtray fitting first to get at the retaining screws for the nice walnut fascia. However, I can't work out how to remove the ashtray - neither can my local independent garage. Any thoughts on this?
omega climate control illumination - Sooty Tailpipes
The ashtray... you remove the insert, you have to push some knob in there and it pops out, then the actual tray comes out by undoing a philips screw in the middle at the top, ... you will see it with a torch in the gap at the top when the tray is open......I think it comes out after that to reveal 2 more screws at the bottom....one each side.
Help! The ash tray and genuine walnut panel came out easily enough but as I was changing the offending bulb the heater blower fan came on and won't go off. The ignition wasn't turned on at the time I was doing the bulb swap and now the only way to turn the fan off is to remove its fuse. The other cc controls are not working either. I know I didn't touch anything except the bulb and I'm mystified as to what's happened. Can some nice expert reassure me that I somehow haven't blown the cc control panel circuitry and won't have to replace the cc panel - but if I do have to, how much will a replacement be (and are second hand ones easy to get hold of)?

Johnboy