VW Golf MK2 Engine mounts - Peterco

I have a 1.6 golf and it has been suffering from torque steer for a while now at all speeds. So far I have changed all the bushes on the wish bones, had new tyres fitted, had the tracking and camber adjusted, and I am running out of ideas!! The car also recently passed its MOT. The only think that I can think of is could faulty engine mounts cause torque steer?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
Peter
VW Golf MK2 Engine mounts - steveo30
torque steer on a 1.6 hmmmm

id have said its a alignment prob,was the place that did it clued up?? maybe consider a better place

as for engine mounts get the bonnet up and have a mate watch while you (handbrake on!) shunt up and down on the clutch ...the engine will move alot if the mounts are worn, if your a big lad you can grab the manifold and lift the engine when theyre shot
VW Golf MK2 Engine mounts - Ben {P}
I think torque steer is possible, but i have also noted this effect on cars with knackered gearboxes. Wobble the engine around and see how much movement there is. If the mounts are really bad, its best to change them all at once. Its the front mount that usually causes problems. Dont bother with the hydro front mounts they dont last- even the genuine VAG ones. Get yourself and early 16v metal top mount and see what happens.
VW Golf MK2 Engine mounts - Peterco
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated!

Someone had also said to me that it could be the gearbox (diff mainly), but I was hoping that it may be something cheaper.
I'll check the engine mounts and see if there is any play. I noted what you say about the hydro mounts, and bearing in mind the car is 18 years old, and covered 97K, so I guess some play might be evident, if so I will change them for the metal top mounts.