HGV Lanes? - Flat in Fifth
Off at a tangent from Mattster's Inside or Outside? lane thread see
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=22...7

Recently noticed a strange phrase when checking O2 Trafficline for road holdups and incident reports. (dial 1200)

There have been many cases where you get an incident report like the following made up example:-

"M1 J11 to J13 Northbound the Heavy Vehicle lane is now open" (or closed whichever is the case)

Briefly discussed this one day with DVD after the first time this had been heard and we wondered if it was a crawler lane type situation, but it's so frequent now and has occurred where I'm sure there is no crawler lane see PS below.

So what's the deal with the "Heavy Vehicle Lanes" handle?

Frankly I'm confused,

FiF

PS Just checked the live info (see post date/time) and amongst others we get "M5 Southbound between J7 Worcester and J8 the Heavy Vehicle Lane is blocked"
HGV Lanes? - OldPeculiar
Well if they're going to start calling the 'inside' lane the heavy vehicle lane then they'd better make sure that the heavy vehicles stay in it!
HGV Lanes? - A Dent{P}
HGV lanes are inside, nearside, lane 1 whatever you want to call it.
It is distinguished from the other lanes by having deep ruts.
Cars with sporting pretention and hence less suspension travel should be banned from them because once in, they can never get out.
HGV Lanes? - BazzaBear {P}
I know I'm taking your statement to an illogical conclusion, but I can't help getting images of people jumping their sportscars over the first lane as they enter and exit the motorway, in order to avoid breaking the ban.
I'll just get me coat...
HGV Lanes? - NowWheels
Cars with sporting pretention and hence less suspension travel should be
banned from them because once in, they can never get out.

hmm, the idea of cars with sporting pretensions being stuck to the inside lane sounds rather attractive. They tend to be the ones driven most aggressively, so sticking them in with the trucks would make life much easier for the rest of us!
HGV Lanes? - Big Vern
In a roadwork/contraflow situation do you not have the inside lane, which is often routed onto the hard sholder designated as the only lane that HGV's can use as the 2nd lane may be slightly narrower due to the width of the cones and therefor restricted to cars only .... perhaps this is a heavy vehicle lane..
HGV Lanes? - tartanraider
As a Large Goods Vehicle driver I can tell you there is NO designated lane for LGV's.Everyone should be driving in the left hand lane,other lanes are for overtaking.I of course realise traffic volumes make a nonsense of this nowadays
HGV Lanes? - Mapmaker

THE 100,000TH NOTE !!!!!!!!!!

Oh tartanraider you just don\'t understand. The right hand lane is paid for by and reserved for the use of Patently.
The 100,000th note...... - Mark (RLBS)
according to my calculations, was this one by Mapmaker.
The 100,000th note...... - BazzaBear {P}
So who's fame is raised more by it? Mapmaker as the author, or patently as the subject?
The 100,000th note...... - Mapmaker
I shall be along to claim my bottle of champagne later!
The 100,000th note...... - Flat in Fifth

As the thread author I'll send you a virtual pack of Scrumpy Jack. On its way.........now!
The 100,000th note...... - BazzaBear {P}
That can't be good for your modem...
The 100,000th note...... - No Do$h

I'll buy you a pint one lunchtime. Drop me an email if you want to collect.

I promise I won't mention Alfas.

:o)

No Dosh
Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
The 100,000th note...... - Dwight Van Driver
I demand a re-count....

DVD