speed wobbles! Vauxhall Astra - plm
I\'m getting a lot of vibration/speed wobble at about 65-70 mph, my car had a front end shunt about 18 months ago and a friend suggested I might need to get it \"jigged\"? Also suggestions for uneven tyre wear?
What does \"jigged\" involve? It\'s a front wheel drive Astra.

Phil
speed wobbles! Vauxhall Astra - LeePower
Hi

Jigged means the car is clamped to a jig & is measured to make sure the shell is straight & true.
Bodyshops use them to check & help staighten cars after accidents.
They clamp the car down & take several measurements of the shell & compare them to the manufactures specifications.
What kind of shunt has the car had in the past?
Thanks for the jig definition Lee.

The shunt took out the nearside light and added a few curves to the wing. The wobbles have only started to be noticable recently, and I have done the tyres in the last 12 months. Can I get any clues from looking at the tyre wear, or better getting someone who knows to check this out?

phil
speed wobbles! Vauxhall Astra - Dynamic Dave

If you're getting a vibration, and your tyres are wearing unevenly, then it sounds like the tracking is out. Also if you haven't had the wheels balanced in the last 12 months, it might be worth while getting them rebalanced while you're at it. Both fronts and rears.

This'll be the cheapest option before you consider the expense of having the car jigged.

speed wobbles! Vauxhall Astra - BB
It may sound silly, but have you made sure that your wheel nuts are on tightly?
speed wobbles! Vauxhall Astra - Big John
If the damage was at the front end you may have a damaged (ie bent) driveshaft.
Jack up the car and rotate the wheels loking at the drive shafts to see if they are bent etc...

P.S. Dont get under the car unless secured on axle stands etc..
speed wobbles! Vauxhall Astra - John S
plm

65 -70 is the classic speed for out of balance tyres to show up, so get that checked first. Alternatively swap front and rear tyres to see if it improves the situation.

Regards

John S
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Will try them over the weekend.

Phil