Citroen Xantia 16V 1.8 P Reg\'97 - andrewjyoung
Seems the engine management control unit is duff, had tried a replacement unit from local scrapyard but seems without key code they dont work and surprisingly local scrapyards had been selling without realising the key codes needed....

is there a cheap way of testing/repairing control unit and or replacing as seems every garage/dealer i speak to says something different...

citroen main dealer says new unit over £400 and needs to be
\'specialy\' installed by them to work....?

appreciate feedback....

cheers
hacked off from Emsworth......!

Citroen Xantia 16V 1.8 P Reg'97 - RichardW
Try these folk:

www.bba-reman.com/

If your car is pre-face lift with the key pad immobiliser, I don't think you need to have the new one programmed, you just change it out.

What is wrong with the car that makes yo think the ECU is duff? Other faults (like crank sensors) are more common I think - and cheaper!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Citroen Xantia 16V 1.8 P Reg'97 - joely
Just found this site and I am hoping that someone may be able to help with a Citroen Xantia LX 1997 problem....
Car was going fine, filled up with petrol (yes, checked, definitely petrol) and about 7 miles later the car lost all power and coasted to a halt. Lights, alarm etc. all still working, but car will not re-start.
Have checked fuel supply and that is OK. Fuses checked - OK
Feed to coil checked and seems OK. (Feed to coil is same reading with immobiliser code entered as it is without)
I am thinking that the immobiliser may be the problem, because while looking under the bonnet the alarm went off without warning. Or it could be the coil, or the ECU. Can anyone help with how to check the coil, immobiliser and ECU. Also, the entry above mentions crank sensors; what are they and how can I check them?

Would be very grateful for any ideas.

Thanks,
Joely
Citroen Xantia 16V 1.8 P Reg'97 - David G.I.Davies
Crank or,in this case,flywheel sensors are a very common failure on tnis model.Their purpose is to transmit the speed of the engine to the ECU.The sensor is located on the bellhousing directly beneath the cylinder head and may be damaged by a coolant leak from above.You can do a resistance test on two of the three pins whch should read about 300ohms.They are not expensive (about £20) and reasonably easy to fit.If your flywheel sensor checks out OK you might like to check for a cambelt problem which is also a common fault.As I understand it an immobiliser fault would not cause the engine to stop whilst running.