Car paint and bird do do - winston
Some bird has done it's business all over my bonnet and low and behold it has stained the paintword. I jet washed it all off but it seems to have burnt into the paint work leaving an inground mark in the paint, just like a water mark.

Is there anyway to get this off or is it too late. The car is more or less brand new. A3 FSI Sport. Black metallic.
Car paint and bird do do - winston
Please delete this post, I just did a search and found out all I need to know. Ooops
Car paint and bird do do - patently
Can you link to the search result?
Car paint and bird do do - volvoman
Yes, an annoying problem. Apparently black (especially) and darker colours are the worst for showing the damage.

Don't know what it is about today's paints - until recently I had a 13 year old white car whose paintwork was unaffected by bird droppings. Interestingly, following a shunt which required the bonnet to be replaced, the problem was no worse whereas a friend's brand new Passat (dark metallic blue) looked like it had a bad case of 'acne' within a couple of months.

Agreed white wouldn't be my first choice of car colour but it's very easy to keep looking nice.
Car paint and bird do do - runboy
I read over on the SEAT forum about someone who had bird thingy on their car-their partner used white spirit to remove it!.

OUCH! Made it a whole lot worse!!!

Would a good quality paint restorer or polish work? I'm thinking Mer, T-Cut etc?
Car paint and bird do do - OldPeculiar
White easy to keep looking nice??

You should see my car - covered in salt and road spray in the winter, covered in splated bugs in the summer, and yes I do wash it:)
Car paint and bird do do - Andy P
Does anyone have access to Which? magazine online? They tested 25 car polishes/waxes and rated them for resistance to pigeon poo. I'd like to know which one came out top.

Andy
Car paint and bird do do - Andy P
Stop press...just found our company has a subscription to Which Online, so I have the results!

Best for pigeon protection was Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

Best was overall was Turtle Wax Colour Magic Plus

Andy
So how did they persuade the pigeons to "assist" to order?
Car paint and bird do do - GrumpyOldGit
Hold one over the car and squeeze!
Someone else's car, presumably??
Car paint and bird do do - Altea Ego
Pigeon poo is not the worst of it. Birds that eat berries score top of the paint burning test, Second comes seagulls (they eat anything noxious).
Birds that eat berries score top of the paint burning test

I seem to remember that its because the berries contain a laxative to make sure the seed is distributed by the bird while airborne. So perhaps you get the stomach acid as well.

All we need is a way to persuade the bird to "go" on alloy wheels instead. Or is it alkali that alloy wheel cleaners use?
Car paint and bird do do - teabelly
Wouldn't it be best if the birds didn't go at all? Not sure how one would manage to cork all those birds and uncork them again at regular intervals and in areas where there are no cars. If they weren't uncorked then they'd explode which could prove devastating for any vehicles in the vicinity....
teabelly
Car paint and bird do do - GrumpyOldGit
"That bird has just dumped on my car!"

"Hang on, I'll get a tissue."

"Don't be stupid - it will be miles away by now."

(A very, very old one.)
Car paint and bird do do - madf
Elderberry bird poo is very acidic and very corrosive.. and a revolting purple colour.

Not as smelly as fox or badger poo tho...

madf

Car paint and bird do do - Altea Ego
Dont get too many badgers or foxes pooing on the car in surrey.
Car paint and bird do do - Andrew-T
vm - "Don't know what it is about today's paints" - I suspect that car paint may be less resistant to aerial bombardment since manufacturers switched from cellulose and spirit-based paint to waterborne, because of environmental pollution pressure. As birds tend to prefer a water-based diet their output, while more environmentally friendly, may go for the new paint.
Easy - we just need to switch the birds to a spirit-based diet, then?
Car paint and bird do do - BazzaBear {P}
If it's heavily enough spirit based then they theoretically wouldn't be able to make it up the tree in order to aim at your car roof anyway.
Car paint and bird do do - billy25
put plenty of dry porridge oats on your bird table, and empty the water bowl, then they are usually miles away from your car when they need to go!!.
They're aiming at me??!!

Proves the point I suppose - just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Car paint and bird do do - madf
Cellulose paint was as bad imo: elderberry poo left 3 large circles on my roof after it was washed off- a 1977 Allegro.
(Mind you BL paint quality!)

madf

Paint job on the one Allegro that I remember was so lurid that it probably frightened the wits out of the poor bird.

And frightened something else out, by the sound of it.

Sorry - I'll get me coat.
Car paint and bird do do - Civic8
Autoglym and Extra will prevent damage to paint.seagulls are the worst offenders as theirs is acid based.much like a pigeon.quick wash down and all is gone without paint probs.mind you when you see what they eat no wonder its lethal
Car paint and bird do do - Mondaywoe
My C5 is black and when new (2 years ago) it seemed that every bird poo left a bad mark. Since then, it has been polished a good few times - latterly with Autoglym resin, followed the same day by Autoglym Gloss. That does seem to have made a difference. The poo now washes off (use LOADS of water!) and doesn't seem to leave a stain.

Having said that, the bottles are almost empty and I've been toying with the idea of buying some Meguiars. I've never tried it, but people seem to rave about it.

Anyone know how it stands up to poo?

Graeme
Car paint and bird do do - Andrew-T
The worst feature of a seagull-poop (and probably many other sea-birds') is that it contains a good deal of sand. Trying to shift that without first soaking it thoroughly will cause serious abrasion to the paint.
Car paint and bird do do - barney100
#inspect your car regularly:wash off any birdie offerings immediatly and hope cows don't learn to fly.
Car paint and bird do do - topaktas
I think it is significant that this discussion is taking place at a time when the so-called "dawn chorus" is at its height. I have long believed that there is more to this activity than a whole lot of birds shouting their heads off at 4 o'clock in the morning with the sole purpose of waking me up. No, it is the time of the daily strategic planning meeting, when the condition of the neighbourhood's cars is reviewed, and plans drawn up for a bit of co-ordinated dumping. Otherwise why is my car, which I take some trouble to keep clean, invariably the target of some avian B52, whereas my neighbour, who doesn't clean his car in a month of Sundays, gets away scot free?
And while on the subject, has anyone noticed that today's birds, especially big ones, seem to be fitted with laser targeting? This ensures that the dump doesn't just land on flat surfaces, which are easy to clean off, but is aimed at door jambs and other crevices, and thus much more difficult to get rid of.
Car paint and bird do do - smokie
Excellent post topaktas, made me LOL...