Landrover's in Rio - Mark (Brazil)

To that Nice Mr. Woollard,

In the 2 weeks driving since you asked, counting cars when I remembered (not all of the time !!)

12 Discoveries, 3 of which Diesel
37 Real Landrover's, 9 of which Diesel
No Freelanders
A few Cherokees & Blazers, all Petrol

No diesel saloon cars at all

Mark.

p.s. sorry about your e-mail download time, I sent you a picture of where I walk the dogs.
Re: Landrover's in Rio - David W
Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. Seems the old rattlers are still quite popular. Do you have MOTs out there? Old Land Rovers seem to be used a lot in such areas where there is no control over old vehicle condition. Holes in the floor so you can see the road and so on.

Lots of petrols then, is it still cheap?

Behind on my mail replies but images stunning. Shame you can't post images here really. One of the Land Rover forums I use does and it is brilliant to look at a pic of someones latest project. Mind you the thing would clog up if folks were posting 3x240kb all the time. ;-)

David
Re: Landrover's in Rio - Mark (Brazil)

> Do you have MOTs out there?

Yes and whilst they are compulsory they are also free !! The ownership and legality of the car is covered by a single document. This document shows that you own it, you've paid al the current taxes and its had its revision (mot).

However, this is Brazil. 10 quid gets any car a certificate and 20 quid stops a policeman noticing that yours isn't current, or 40 quid if you haven't got the right documents, up to 60 quid if you haven't got any documents at all.

> Lots of petrols then, is it still cheap?

By UK standards, yes. By mine, no, its bloody expensive. fast calculation says about 45p a litre.

> Behind on my mail replies but images stunning.

Not bad for a back yard, is it !

Mark.
p.s. if you really care enough...

www.detran.rj.gov.br/sub_sites/veiculos/sub_veicul...m

I can translate if you wish.

M.
Re: Landrover's in Rio - andy bairsto
With you looking at them so much you will proablybuy one now Mark
> With you looking at them so much you will proablybuy one now

Except that I found this website the other day. Its not motoring related.

www.iwantoneofthose.com/

Actually, I do like the old Landrovers, but they're quite a long way down on the list of things I want to get.

Since SWMBO is a vet and we are intending to live int he UK next year, that's probably the time for a Landrover. Anybody want a spanish speaking vet who's very good with Llamas & Monkeys ?
Re: Landrover's in Rio - honest john
They call this korupsi (or somethign lije that) in Indonesia. It's how I acquired a 200,000 rupiah fine for not having the right driving licence, but the money also bought a 3 week immunity from any other form of prosecution for a motoring offence. Interesting variation in Malaysia. Guys get a copper's uniform made up at the local overnight tailor, then go out on their motorbikes stopping cars with buleh (white guys) driving and hitting them with on the spot fines for driving a dirty car.

HJ

> It's how I acquired a 200,000 rupiah fine for not having the
> right driving licence

I have mixed feelings about it. Corruption annoys and offends me. IMO, if you have a law you enforce it, or you don't have the law.

On the other hand I have escaped a number of tickets with bribes.

I think I'm just going to have to focus on accepting my own confusion and hypocrisy.

Conversation about a week ago. I'd left my car double parked outside a bar, intending to only be in there a minute or two, but predictably it didn't work out that way.

After an hour I left the bar to find my car attached to a policeman.

Policeman (P): you can't double park in this street
Mark (M): Don't speak Portuguese, no idea what you're saying at all
P: You get a fine for parking here
M: not one word, you could be speaking chinese
P: Or I can have your car towed away (yeah right, too hi-tec for Rio)
M: Its my birthday in February
P: Give me your driving licence
M: I'm going to buy myself a Ferrari
P: You can get another fine if you don't show me your licence
M: I'm thinking a red one. Did I mention I don't speak Portuguese ?
P: Are you English ?
M: Yes (oops, forgot, don't understand/speak portuguese)
P: I like beer
M: Me too
P: I *really* like beer
M: Me too
P: It makes me forget things
M: ?
P: Like tickets.......
M: How much beer do you like ?
P: 6 or so usually, unless I have a lot of things to forget
M: I suppose it takes about 10 if you have a lot to forget ?
P: More like 15 !

So, I gave him the 3 quid and we both left happy.