Hard to start without priming - Fiesta. - johnmac
Fiesta 1.8 LX diesel.

I just changed the hand fuel pump, primer pump. The car is quite hard to start after an overnight wait unless i prime the pump a few times then start no problem. Its like low fuel pressure which would indicate a leak somewhere but the bolts were all tighened properly all seals were oiled and added so i cant see where the problem might be ?
Hard to start without priming - Fiesta. - Simon
If it won't start until you've primed it then it is losing fuel pressure somewhere. I would firstly check the bits that you have undone to ensure they are tight and sealing properly keeping an eye out for any traces of diesel that may indicate where the problem lies. Other than that is it a faulty primer pump? Why did you have to change it in the first place incidently?
Hard to start without priming - Fiesta. - jc
The hand pump is there only to refill the fuel system if you run out of fuel.The injector pump itself pumps fuel up from the tank both when cranking and running.You must have an air leak somewhere.Some Ford diesels have a one-way valve in the system between the filter and the injection pump to stop any fuel draining back but this is unlikely to occur as the filter is usually higher than the injection pump.
Hard to start without priming - Fiesta. - Peter D
Yep, You have an air leak and over night air is getting sucked into the system theus the poor/no starting. It may be the pump fitting or something elase you have disturbed. Regards Peter
Hard to start without priming - Fiesta. - Civic8
as you have changed primer would think the connections are not sound.you should not need to overtighten I know you didnt say that.it is possible to get a small bit of dirt in the connections.they do have to be very clean.try undoing conections give a clean up then redoing.not unknown for swarf to be left in primer connections.just a thought.
Hard to start without priming - Fiesta. - autumnboy
Why did you change the Hand fuel pump, any problems? That maybe linked to your problem.