Vectra rear discs - doog
Posted on the other board re a vectra I purchased last weekend.53 plate nearly 8k on the clock. Its going back in to get a few niggles'sorted'.

Ive noticed that the rear brake discs are scored also very slight lip on them, which suprised me due to the age and mileage of the vehicle .The front discs are fine as are the pads front and back.Raised it with the dealer and he stated the scoring was due to rust!! I ran my hand over the rear discs on a nearly new Astra and likewise slight scoring.

Is this normal,if it is due to rust then why arent the front scored as well?..or is it actually down to normal wear and he's feeding me bull.Should I insist they are changed?

Doog
Vectra rear discs - Altea Ego
No its not bull, rear disks dont get the same abuse as front disks that carry most of the braking effort. Hence the surface rust does not get so thorougly cleaned so quickly. Nor do they get so hot and dry out faster.

This may sound rude - its not meant that way - just an observation
If you saw the same thing on a nearly new astra yet you still feel its a problem on your car do you not feel you are starting to get a bit paranoid about its condition?
Vectra rear discs - doog
paranoi'a - 'mental derangement characterised by systematic delusions'..mmm....thanks for your answer re the brakes and for your following observation.
Vectra rear discs - Sooty Tailpipes
When GM discs are new, the friction-contact area is honed, so I assume it would wear down quickly as they bed in.