Mondeo Oil Filter Difficult to remove - Yoby
Have just changed the oil and filter on my 2001 new shape Mondeo. The filter is the one which you unscrew and replace the inner paper mesh bit. I had no end of trouble in getting it off the car as it was on so tight. Am I missing a special tool for doing this? Want to make it a bit easier next time!

Also, when oil is unplugged and filter is off should you start the engine for 10 secs or so to pump the remainder out? I have seen this done and am not sure whether it is a good idea or not.

Thanks Y
Mondeo Oil Filter Difficult to remove - Roberson
Hello.

When I did my work experience at Vauxhall, they too had the renewable element type filters, (on some cars) where the filter assembly remained fixed to the block, and an unscrewable cap on top of the assembly revealing the filter element within. The cap, was fitted with a hexagon nut, which enabled it be removed using a socket set. Does your car have the 'nut' on the cap, as if it does you could use a socket to remove it. This was some time ago now, so there?s a chance I'm wrong.

This web page shows what I mean, looking at the image to the right of the web page. www.hengst.de/conpresso/en_auto-oe_filter-systems_...p

With regards to pumping the remainder out, do you mean draining off the old oil, removing the filter and with the drain plug removed, run the engine? If so, this is a very bad idea. Running an engine with no oil is the best way to RUIN it. The amount of oil remaining in the lubrication system after draining would be so small, its irrelevant.

Hope this helps

Roberson
Mondeo Oil Filter Difficult to remove - Yoby
Thanks for this - no there was no socket on the filter. Just the filter itself which was basically a (large) hexagonal shape. The Haynes manual infers that you just unscrew it with your hand. It was on so tight, I was worried about using anything too hefty to wrench it off lest I cracked it.

Could be a Ford special?

Y
Mondeo Oil Filter Difficult to remove - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I havent come across one of these on an Ford yet but imagine it to be same as the Volvo. Special tool required but luckily not expensive, I got a genuine Volvo one packaged (I think) in a Laser tools box from my local AutoMate for not much money.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
Mondeo Oil Filter Difficult to remove - MarkSmith
Hi,

Machine Mart sell a tool which attaches to a socket handle and goes over the end of the oil filter (the part where it's got the straight edges). Doesn't damage the filter like some tools do. Not a great description but look on their web site for oil filter removal tools and I'm sure you'll find it.

Cheers,
Mark
Mondeo Oil Filter Difficult to remove - Civic8
As I remember this is old type but without the centre bolt holding the case in place.No never start the car without oil/filter in place lack off oil will cause starvation of oil to all components damage may well occur.it is up to you but not recommended.think you will find most tools will suffice in removing the oil filter case.?
Mondeo Oil Filter Difficult to remove - mfarrow
Surely just turning the engine over with no fuel won't harm?
Mondeo Oil Filter Difficult to remove - Aprilia
Surely just turning the engine over with no fuel won't harm?

What's the point. If the oil is warm then 95%+ will drain out anyway. The remaining few % won't do any harm. More damage will be done by cranking an engine without oil - then when you re-fill and start it up there will be further delay in getting the fresh oil around the engine.
Mondeo Oil Filter Difficult to remove - Civic8
Aprilia said what I was going to.