Pulling up the insurers - Mapmaker
Snotty message from insurance company to call them. (Dear reader, you may recall, I had 2 A-reg Mercedes 230TE W123s pinched in a 4 week period.)

'Hello, this is mapmaker'
'Hello why didn't you tell us your car was recovered'
'Was it?'
'Yes. You should have told us. Why didn't you tell us? You're required to tell us if it is; we've paid out [no they haven't, but that's a separate issue] so it belongs to us.'
'Errrr. Which vehicle?'
'The Mercedes 230TE'
'What registration number'
'A111AAA'
Me: 'When was it receovered?'
'Well it was stolen again so it must have been'
'No it wasn't'
'Oh yes it was'
'[It's behind you!] No it wasn't, that was a different car.'
'No it wasn't, that was a 230TE.'
'Yes, and what was it's registration number?'
'A222AAA'
'And what what the reg of the first theft?
'A111AAA'
'Oh. They're different. Well, that was it, no more questions thank you for calling.'
'Well done!'

Pulling up the insurers - frostbite
What more could you ask? Insurance plus a good giggle.
Pulling up the insurers - Thommo
Hilarious!

They are clueless aren't they.

Car insurance expires in May so just about to do the insurance hokey cokey again.

Renewal notice comes out, 5 billion squids, a 2,000% increase on last year.

Get three alternative quotes about the same cost as last year, take lowest.

Call original insurer to cancel, get put through to the 'retain business department' which is staffed by human beings with brains. Tell them I've insured with someone else, get reply (huffy voice) 'what did you do that for we could have matched that price'.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Pulling up the insurers - cockle {P}
Thommo, I now tend to make the first call to my existing broker, tell them I'm not happy and ask them what is their best price before I go elsewhere, it's amazing what comes off the top price.

Mind you, always insisting on the cheapest premiums probably gets us to mapmaker's call, to keep it cheap I suppose they tend to pay peanuts, and if you pay peanuts you get ........

Having said that aren't you supposed to get Hamlet if you've enough typewriters and simians to tap the keys?

Cockle
Pulling up the insurers - Thommo
Cockle,

I hear what your saying but I HATE companies that use inertia to rip people off so I will not renew with a company that does this (they all do so maybe my argument just fell apart).

I am hoping, perhaps naively that in doing this I am helping push towards a situation where they send out their best quote first.

I also believe in fairies...
Pulling up the insurers - patently
Having said that aren't you supposed to get Hamlet if you've
enough typewriters and simians to tap the keys?

You also need infinite time.

And some of my posts on a bad day - 6 monkeys, 10 minutes.
Pulling up the insurers - No Do$h
>> Having said that aren't you supposed to get Hamlet if
you've
>> enough typewriters and simians to tap the keys?
>>
You also need infinite time.
And some of my posts on a bad day - 6
monkeys, 10 minutes.

You have good days???

No Dosh
Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Pulling up the insurers - patently
You have good days???

Did I say that? I don't think so...... ;-)
'Yes, and what was it's registration number?'
'A222AAA'
'And what what the reg of the first theft?
'A111AAA'

I didn't think you approved of personal number plates.....

::: reaches for flameproof overalls :::

;o)
I think personal numberplates are a great way to take money off the naive to put it into NHS managers... better than my paying more tax. Or your paying more tax.

They rang again this morning, regarding a valuation of A2. Now it was the same chap in the engineers department as I'd spoken to on A1. He said 'it's too old for price guides so I've looked on the internet to find similar cars for sale'.

Owing to the vagaries of cars advertised, when he undertook this oh-so-scientific exercise 3 weeks ago, he came up with £400. This time he came up with £1,000.

What a marvellous system they have!
Take the offer on A2, then use it as a precedent to squeeze another £600 out of them for A1.
funny, why didn't I think of that... :)

Different insurance company, new problem. Renewal coming up very soon. Insurance has gone up owing to 'the accident'. 'The accident', about which I've already had correspondence with the insurance company, happened last July, before we acquired the vehicle. Pointed out to them, twice now that they weren't insuring the vehicle at the point it is alleged to have had an accident. They've asked for copy of V5 to show that it wasn't in our ownership at the time of the accident. Given they weren't insuring it, cannot understand how they've even got this far. Being commercial insurance, I have my own broker whom I know by name, and we normally get excellent personal service.
Pulling up the insurers - Altea Ego
This could work one of two ways. There are two more on sale (ie yours) so supply and demand means the price could go down. OR the same scroat that nicked yours has nicked others, so supply means they are rarer and hence dearer. Take your pick.