For £5000 should I buy... - far0n
3 year old

Nissan Almera 1.5
Toyota Corolla 1.4 vvti

Frankly the Almera is a bit better looking and I've seen examples with 20k miles for £4500 ! Seems like a bargain to me. The toyotas all seem to be around the 40-60k mile mark. Hate the shape of the 5 door ones too. Are the Almera engines renault sourced ?

For £5000 should I buy... - Altea Ego
"Frankly the Almera is a bit better looking"

well after your visit to the optician, you should have £4,500 to spend.
For £5000 should I buy... - DavidHM
The new Corolla is better looking than the Almera, but at three years old, we're talking about late old shape ones. I'm not sure which of these I'd go for - both are likely to be reliable and the Almera is probably marginally the better car, but while I prefer it styling I think the Corolla is likely to prove the better long term buy if resale is an issue.
For £5000 should I buy... - Porkstone
3 year old
Nissan Almera 1.5
Toyota Corolla 1.4 vvti
Frankly the Almera is a bit better looking and I've seen
examples with 20k miles for £4500 ! Seems like a
bargain to me. The toyotas all seem to be around
the 40-60k mile mark. Hate the shape of the 5
door ones too. Are the Almera engines renault sourced ?

I had a 1.4vvti corolla for three years from new and sold it to my mum last year. It is an effortless car to drive, frugal (40mpg), cheap to service (3yrs cost £250). It has plenty of room, I agree with you about the looks, Toyota have problems designing cars that appeal to western tastes. The 1.4 is quick enough the car is only to be driven sensibly, try and go round a roundabout quickly in the wet and you will know what I mean, in fact thinking about it avoid going round roundabouts quickly in the wet!