Astra Flickering Lights....Again - Mobile Office
I have a 2000 (W) 1.7DTi 16v Isuzu engined Vauxhall Astra, and have am having a recurring problem with flickering lights of which I have previously posted:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=15398

I bought the car in August 2003 and discovered that every interior/exterior bulb/display flickered, electric window motors oscillated and the engine was slightly surging. With the Voltage Regulator suspected, a brand new alternator fitted under warranty remedied the problem.

However, 8 months and 25k miles later, the flickering is back but this time I am out of warranty.

Am I on the verge of discovering that this seems to be a common problem with these cars/alternators? Are the voltage regulators in these alternators unreliable or are they simply a symptom of other gremlins in the electrical/charging system?

I don\'t simply want to buy a new alternator 8 months after a replacement and was considering a recondition of the one thats in, but will I be going down this road again in 8 months time?

If anybody can offer any advice (or sympathy come to think of it) it would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mobile Office
Astra Flickering Lights....Again - Carse
Mobile,

Although you may be out of your formal vehicle warranty the new part fitted should have a warranty of its own which is usually 12 months. It is worth contacting the dealership who fitted the replacement part and asking that very question. They may expect labour costs but the part should be free.

Hope this helps.

Carse
Astra Flickering Lights....Again - Dynamic Dave
Although you may be out of your formal vehicle warranty the
new part fitted should have a warranty of its own which
is usually 12 months.

This is not apparantly the case. I had a leaking pipe on my air con of my Vectra replaced a month before the end of the 3 yr warranty. I was told the replaced parts were only covered as long as the manufacturers warranty was still valid - in my case 1 month.

Could be wrong, but I suspect it's the same story with Mobile Office's replaced alternator.
Astra Flickering Lights....Again - Civic8
I had a years warranty on my car.ok it was second hand but warranty stated once the warranty run out any repaires done within warranty period whether it being one month from expiry or several.if breakdown occured of same component after warranty period was not covered.I think the same goes for electrical appliances during warranty.ie unless you reinstall cover.but costs may inhibit that?