starting a stood rover 414 - sails north
im attempting to start a car stood for around 8 months. after putting jump leads on, it made some clicking noises (pressurising fuel system??) at first. but as i try to start it, all it does is make the ignition lights go dim. any suggestions most welcome
starting a stood rover 414 - Civic8
would think starter motor.constant clicking suggests solenoid working but motor isnt.if the battery is totally flat would suggest a full recharge unless it has been done.but what you said.by using jump leads it isnt.if that wont work a stripdown/replacement starter.
starting a stood rover 414 - guzzler
You could try putting it in gear and then rocking the car backwards and forwards. Then try jump starting again.
starting a stood rover 414 - DL
Make sure the jump leads are making a good connection......
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
starting a stood rover 414 - mfarrow
Jump leads are designed to provide power to complement that which is still left in your battery.

If the battery is completely dead, then jump-start might not work. I'd charge the battery first, then try again.

Mike Farrow
starting a stood rover 414 - Mondaywoe
I know this isn't your problem - at least not quite yet - but this might be something to bear in mind. I tried to start my motor mower this morning after it lying unused since about last October. The petrol was getting through (wet plug) and there was a good spark. I tried every trick in the book - dried everything, even heated the plug with the blowlamp and stuck it back in quickly (often works!) but with no success. Stripped the air filter, checked carb linkages etc - nothing. Eventually I phoned the shop I bought it from and the first thing the chap said was, 'Have you tried fresh petrol?' Well I hadn't - not that it hadn't crossed my mind, but because the petrol strimmer had just started no bother minutes before (same batch of petrol.) Anyway, to cut a long story short, I emptied the tank, put in fresh and after a bit of priming it shot into life.

The guy in the shop said that current unleaded is absolute rubbish (not his exact words, but I'll keep it polite!) He reckons it can go off within a month to 6 weeks.

So once you get the electrics sorted, I'd suggest you get some fresh fuel in the tank.

Graeme
starting a stood rover 414 - bikemade3
I agree in parts with what is said about petrol 2going off2 however 6 weeks max for a "shelf life"? Having just got the bike to start having been stored from end of september with the same fuel in the tank as when it was put away. IMHO the problem with unused fuel is that the additives can gum up jets in the carb if left unused for a protracted period and not the petrol "going off"
starting a stood rover 414 - rustbucket
>>The guy in the shop said that current unleaded is absolute rubbish (not his exact words, but I'll keep it polite!) He reckons it can go off within a month to 6 weeks.

I agree petrol these days goes stail in a mater of weeks, my petrol mower manual says empty fuel tank and refil with fresh every time you use it.And it will not start no matter what with old fuel in it after its winter rest.

rustbucket (the original)
starting a stood rover 414 - defender
I would put jump leads on ,then run jumper car for 5 mins then try .sometimes if a battery has been standing and very low you are better taking the negative lead of the flat battery and earthing it on a clean bit of the engine as this stops a dud cell soaking up the jump lead power,worth a try
starting a stood rover 414 - DL
Just be careful not to spike the ECU.....jump starting can have it's drawbacks!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
starting a stood rover 414 - madf
I assume your jump leads are connected (correctly!:-) to the battery of another car which is running. If it is not it should be.

If all you get is a clcking noise and dim lightt then the Rover's battery MUST be dead..If it was not charged in the lay up 8 months and it has central locking or an alrm, it will have gone flat in 2-4 weeks and the battery plates sulphated up. Hence high resistance and no start.

Try swapping batteries - with all the due care for radio codes etc that that entails.

If it still does not work, then you may have a fualty earth.. indeed you may wish to check the erath wire from battery to chassi connection at the chassis.. If corroded that may be your problem.

Then if it turns and does not start try changing petrol as baove.

madf

starting a stood rover 414 - 659FBE
As soon as you get this sorted and the engine fires, change the cambelt. Engines which have been stood are prime candidates for failure, however new the belt is.