Scrapping old cars (Polo anyone?) - Mapmaker
I didn't expect that to be so difficult. As readers may be aware, I am proud owner of a 1983 Mark ii Polo, 1.1 Formule E. Don't think there's anything much wrong with it (except for tell-tale light for indicators which doesn't seem to be working, and it uses a prodigious quantity of oil - I suspect it could do with a new oil breather).

Anyway, it is surplus to requirements. Not worth MOTing & selling though (£35 for MOT, plus £21 to put it on ebay/in Autotrader etc, so not worth the risk of throwing money away on the MOT when it's probably not worth £150 even with 12 months MOT). Anybody want it (free)? 6 weeks' tax, 48 hours' MOT. Half tank petrol. Haynes manual. Just south of Tower Bridge? Recent cambelt; brand new points & plugs & rotor; recent leads, well maintained recently. Recorded 83k miles, but more probably at least 183k or maybe 283k. Starts 1st or 2nd time.

The real point of this post is that finding somebody to take it was remarkably difficult. Some breakers wouldn't touch it for any money, most wanted at least a tenner, some £25. Finally found somebody who will take it for free provided I deliver.
Scrapping old cars (Polo anyone?) - patently
Could you dress it up as a W123? It'll vanish in no time then.
Difficult. There's not enough rust on it - as was noted in the SL300 thread, they rust, and Polos don't. But thanks for the very helpful suggestion...
Scrapping old cars (Polo anyone?) - Civic8
I thought local councils took em for free.apart from the time it takes for them to pick it up at least its free and car is then off your drive.make sure the windows are open when they come.as they are messy.
Scrapping old cars (Polo anyone?) - henry k
I thought local councils took em for free.apart from the time
it takes for them to pick it up at least its
free and car is then off your drive.make sure the windows
are open when they come.as they are messy.

>>
The sure do. Give them a call:
www.alg.gov.uk/scrap-it/

"Q ? What can I do if I have an old car that I do not want?
A ? When a vehicle has reached the end of its useful life it must be disposed of correctly. Your local council now provides a free take-back service, which includes removing the vehicle, disposing of it responsibly and informing DVLA - all you have to do is contact your local council."

Scrapping old cars (Polo anyone?) - Hugo {P}
Stick it in LOOT or similar.

"Free to good home, just pay me for the remaining tax if you want it"

This is still quite a popular bangernomics motor, so someone is bound to want it for spares or running around.

H
Scrapping old cars (Polo anyone?) - Ford Dagenham
Hi

I suggest you put it in the local paper instead of offering it for peanuts

(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
It is _the_ bangernomic car. They go on ebay for just one pound without MOT. 6 weeks' tax isn't worth anything either (annoyingly!).
Scrapping old cars (Polo anyone?) - Big_CDA
I don't suppose anyone knows if the local councils in Kent have a similar policy - the web site only seems to apply to London...