MB E300 TD Fuel pump problem - legacylad
Friend of mine with 98R E300 TD suffered problems starting on a morning(car, not himself!)This was diagnosed by the AA as a leaking fuel pump, due to either a seal or cracked casing. Apparantly, he is informed by the MB dealer that the front of the engine has to be removed in order to gain access for replacement, and the cost is in the region of £3.5k! However, a reconditioned unit from Lucas, including fitting, is £1k.This still seems expensive. The car has some 100k miles on it, is obviously off the road at the moment whilst a hire car is being used.
Do these prices accurately reflect the repair costs, or are other options available please?
He is located in West Yorkshire. Any advice gratefully received.
MB E300 TD Fuel pump problem - Roger Jones
This would get a quick response in the MB Owners' Club forum. If your friend isn't a member and doesn't know anyone who is, I could post it myself if you don't get a good response here.
Roger,
thanks for that.
My friend is not a member of the MB Owners Club.Please post on their forum if not too much trouble.
How do we access replies to his query?
Thanks
OK, I've posted it on the basis of "a friend of a friend". If the replies are concise, I'll post them here; if not, I'll e-mail them to you via the mods.
MB E300 TD Fuel pump problem - Aprilia
Strangely enough I was at my friend's garage (he's a busy local 'independent') last Friday afternoon and he had a Merc in with the exact same problem, although I think it was a little newer than a '98. He reckons its an O-ring seal that failed and causes a loss of fuel pressure. He was awaiting a price on a re-con unit. I suppose I could find out what the outcome was.
Aprilia,
If you could it would be appreciated.Thanks

OK, here are the MB Club responses so far:

Not familiar with engine layout of a 300TD but I would not have thought that the "front of the engine" needs removing for fuel pump replacement !

On my 300TE24, the fuel pump is visible and readily accessible just behind radiator...

I could be wrong of course ...

----------------------------------------------------------------

Possibly a phone call to the nearest Bosch diesel agent might be worth a try. There's a dealer locator at www.boschautoparts.co.uk/ Hope this helps, Tim.

----------------------------------------------------------------

By the "front of the engine" they probably mean the timing case which might have to come off to gain access to the fuel pump drive. This is commonly driven on a spur gear from the crankshaft or may be on a chain or belt, either way the pump shaft is probably on a taper to whatever type of drivewheel it is. Having said all that, any competent engineer should be able to remove the pump and a Bosch agent will change an oil seal as long as the pump casing is not cracked.
Given the complexity and cost of a diesel pump and the labour involved, £1k doesn't sound too much of a bill to expect. £3.5k is sheer greed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
LegacyLad

No more MB Club responses. I hope those above are of some help to your friend.

Roger, and Aprilia,

thanks for the advice. My friend informs me that the problem was diagnosed, as you suggested, as leaking seal and is having a recon unit and the O rings replaced.The cost, he informs me, is slightly in excess of £500, and not the horrendous amount as quoted by a main dealer for brand new parts and labour.
Glad it's sorted at reasonable cost. Yet more evidence of the need to sup with a long spoon when dealing with dealers.