car takes ages to start pug gldt405 - pienmash
i get in my car,turn the key,after about 1min it starts,it cranks for ages before it gets started after that, all is well,when its warmed up it will turn over no problem,the car is a 93 pug 405 gldt,also on another problem,its jumps out of 5th,when the accelerater is pressed the gearstick jumps back when depressed it goes back in ??????help ,many thanks john
car takes ages to start pug gldt405 - Civic8
Have you changed the glow plugs.usually the cause.have you checked remote control linkage from lever to gearbox they have a mounting I think.if that goes may cause that But as it is not happening on other gears would guess it is a box problem.? I cant remember what caused it now
car takes ages to start pug gldt405 - RichardW
John,

Starting - it's either the glow plugs or an air leak in the fuel system. Try pumping the fuel primer before starting it - if it's intially soft, and then goes hard, and this makes it start OK then it's an air leak, if not it's the glow plugs. If plugs, only fit Beru or Bosch ones as others just don't last. The one behind the injection pump is 'interesting', but can usually be got with a 12mm cranked ring spanner. Primary candidate for an air leak are the small leak off hoses on the injectors.

Jumping out of gear - if you can feel the gear lever pulling as you come on/off the power in third, then it's probably the bottom engine mount - this gets soaked with oil and goes all soft allowing the engine to rock backwards and forwards - you can buy the rubber part for under a fiver from German Swedish and French, but it's a bit of a challenge to get it in. If there's no rocking then the 5th gear arrangement might be worn - the good news here is that you can strip 5th gear off the box without taking it out, as it is right on the end under the LH wheel arch (a bit of USEFUL PSA design nonetheless!)

HTH

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
car takes ages to start pug gldt405 - RichardW
Oh, and an afterthought on the starting issue - check that the cold start device is pulling into the cold start position - look for a cable running from the thermostat housing to the injection pump - this should be taut when the engine is cold, and slack when hot. If slack when cold it won't be pulling the pump into cold start position, and if taut when hot it won't let the idle drop back to 800 rpm and it will stay at 1000 (as mine does....!). If it's failed in the hot position, you can effect a temporary repair to east the stating by jamming the cold start lever in cold start position - should be easy enough with a piece of wire or something - don't be tempted to adjust the stops on the lever as you might not be able to set it up again easily!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
car takes ages to start pug gldt405 - pienmash
Many thanks for your replies,buy you all a pint when your in new addington,gis a email if your my neck of the woods,many thanks again
John
car takes ages to start pug gldt405 - DL
Have fun replacing the glowplugs at the timing belt end of the engine!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link