Head Gasket on Omega replaced temp probs - Daz
Hi, have had the new head gasket fitted. Done about 50 miles so far with no loss of water. However, temp is still operating very hot and blowers still not up to scratch heatwise.

I rang garage and they advised it was an air lock, does this seem reasonable?
Head Gasket on Omega replaced temp probs - keo-the-dog
yes try leaving it overnight top it up in the morning sometimes thats all it needs
Head Gasket on Omega replaced temp probs - Sooty Tailpipes
Which Omega engine is it?
It's the dreaded 2.0 ecotec.
Head Gasket on Omega replaced temp probs - Altea Ego
You need to get this resolved ASAP or you will be looking at another head gasket. Back to the garage and get them to finish the job they have been paid for.
Head Gasket on Omega replaced temp probs - Dynamic Dave
Did they also change the thermostat? Maybe the one that's currenty in their is jammed closed.
Hi, yes it is going back again on Monday to be flushed.

I had thought the thermostat might be at fault too but it wasn't replaced.
Head Gasket on Omega replaced temp probs - Aprilia
If my recollection of your previous posts is correct then the garage have seen more of this car than you have.
Isn't it time to stop throwing good money after bad and get shot of it?
Seen a couple of Toyota Camrys and Nissan QX's on Ebay this week....same sort of size as Omega, and they keep working.

Good luck with it anyway.
Head Gasket on Omega replaced temp probs - Sooty Tailpipes
I have an Omega Elite, and i did ponder for a long time over the Nissan QX, but the interior is like a Nissan Bluebird taxi, and I only reckon they\'re reliable because they\'re driven by OAPs to Tesco and the post office, I just looked on ebay, and the only one even has a walking stick lying in the passenger footwell!

I really do doubt that they would stand up to an enthusiastic driver, and the don\'t the auto boxes only last about 40,000 miles?

Grandma\'s and Grandad\'s cars always last forever because they treat them like their best china.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2469...8
I have an Omega Elite, and i did ponder for a
long time over the Nissan QX, but the interior is like
a Nissan Bluebird taxi, and I only reckon they\'re reliable because
they\'re driven by OAPs to Tesco and the post office, I
just looked on ebay, and the only one even has a
walking stick lying in the passenger footwell!
I really do doubt that they would stand up to an
enthusiastic driver, and the don\'t the auto boxes only last about
40,000 miles?
Grandma\'s and Grandad\'s cars always last forever because they treat them
like their best china.

LOL!

Anyway, there's four on Ebay as of a couple of minutes ago and a couple of Toyota Camry's too.

Maxima (US name of QX) is the best selling Nissan over in the USA and is frequently heavily tuned since it is regarded as a 'sports saloon'. Ditto in Japan, and Far East. There is all kinds of serious race-car kit available. There is also a version with a turbo (think it featured in Fast and Furious film). The V6 engine (four chain-driven cams) used in the QX has been voted one of five best engines in the world by Car and Driver magazine for several years on the trot.
One contributor on here (Gazza) has used his for racing and it has over 120k on the clock. Plenty of examples in US with 200k+ miles and original autobox.
A properly maintained QX will easily outlast anything GM can produce, enthusiastically driven or not.
Head Gasket on Omega replaced temp probs - Gazza
I have not been contributing lately so here is a quick review.

Currently passed 125k on the clock, it took part in a road rally and the NSMSC autotest and trial (on grass hills) in the first two weeks of this March. Extremely useful car as it has a viscous LSD standard on the 3.0 auto.

No problem with the car at all since I had it from 95k. Just wear and tear items like a set of tyres, front pads, and wishbones bushes. Oil change every 7.5k at Rapid Fit using 5w30 oil at £20, supply own Nissan filter and washer at £10. ATF changed at 115k and every 30k thereafter. Average 25mpg over last 30k, including consumption during races (Highest = 31mpg; lowest = 15mpg)

No intention to change it until it dies of old age or when I start my secondment in US in 2006
Nice going Gazza.
Have you got a strut brace on it? According to the US Maxima tune-up sites they really improve the handling. Maxima strut braces on US-Ebay go for about $20, but shipping to UK is v. expensive.

Anyway being a frugal sort of person I programmed up a CNC machine to carve strut-brace mounting brackets out of steel - turned out OK and fit really nicely under the three acorn nuts each side. I just have paint them and then bolt the cross-bar in place. Will let you know how it turns out (unless you have one fitted already?).
Omega temp problems still remains! - Daz
Hi my N 96 Omega 2.0 ecotec has just had a replacement head gasket due to losing water and high running temp probs.

However, whilst not losing water it still runs at anywhere between 96-105 degrees once fully warmed up. When stationary temp creeps up and goes down after starting from a standstill.

The car has been back to the garage three times now and still this problem remains. Also the heaters do not seem to blow what i would call hot air only lukewarm.

Third time I went back the garage claim to have put in a thermostat as they reckon there was not one fitted previously!

I think there must either be an air lock, a dodgy thermostat or possibly a dodgy temp sender gauge.

Any ideas please before I take it back......AGAIN!!

Cheers

Daz
Omega temp problems still remains! - Aprilia
Any ideas please before I take it back......AGAIN!!
Cheers
Daz

>>

Take it to a different garage. Have the system drained and vacuum-filled to eliminate air locks. Then have them check for combustion gases in the header tank.
Before I go spending more money could you tell me what the likely causes of gases into the combustion chamber would be and whether or not there is a cheap remedy please.

Omega temp problems still remains! - madf
Combustion gases in coolant = blown cylinder head gasket/ and /or warped cylinder head.

Non heating of heater is probably cuased by airlock when garage did not bleed system properly. This is not difficlut to do if garage are competent.

From the sound of things your garage are not competent.:-(

madf

Thi is starting to worry me now as the head gasket has been replaced and I'm concerned the head mught be warped!
Omega temp problems still remains! - keo-the-dog
Thi is starting to worry me now as the head gasket
has been replaced and I'm concerned the head mught be warped!

sorry to hear problem not sorted , surely garage would have checked head for warping ,should have sent to engineering shop to check it and skim it if neccesary. still sounds like an air lock though especially as heater performance is poor.
I did ask about the head being warped and he said it was ok, then 2nd time it went back he made a comment that he hoped it wasn't so I'm pretty sure it's not been checked.

I'm praying it is just an air lock tho!
Omega temp problems still remains! - Aprilia
Head should have been check for warpage and pressure tested (its not expensive) - pressure testing is because head might have a crack (something else to worry about).
Many garages now have a 'vacuum filler' for the cooling system - basically it sucks the air out and then lets coolant in - eliminates air locking (handy on French cars!).
Cheers.
Omega temp problems still remains! - RobertH
Daz
i know it might sound a stupid question and if it is please forgive me your sure that the fan is starting up as i once had this problem on a renault exactly

Bob
Hi Bob you are quite right:

Have just got my car back from the garage and checked the fan and it is not circulating whilst the engine is running. I was pretty sure that it did before this problem but not 100% can anyone confirm whether or not this fan should be
permanently whizzing round please?

Assuming it should how do i get it working again. I've checked the fuses which look ok, altho the guide on the back cover seemed to bear no relation to the actual fuses themselves and I've disconnected and reconnected the plug on the blower fan but still now hizzing fan. Is there a fan switch that could be at fault elsewhere, if so where!!
Omega temp problems still remains! - Ian J
Hello Daz
I have a v6 pretty sure fan only comes on when temperature gauge climbs above approx 95 degrees - typically hot day stationary in traffic for example. If you let engine idle when stationary fan should eventually kick in to compensate for the lack of air cooling the radiator when you are moving.
Kind Regards
Ps when I changed coolant airlock seemed to correct itself aftershort run and switch off taking care to watch the temperature gauge.
Omega temp problems still remains! - Civic8
I assume from whats been said the cooling fan/s are electric.if the temp switch isnt working the fan wont work.not certain about yours but its usually located around thermostat area.may be built into temp gauge sender unit.If not switch would usually be next to sender unit.my guess would be the sender switch to fan is faulty.and no it wont run all the time