Q about selling my car - Daish
Hmm OK I hope this is the right kinda place to ask this? I few weeks ago I sold my car in the local paper and it was bought for a stupidly cheap price by a very dodgy looking/acting guy who paid cash. (I was desperate to sell).

Strange thing is I know he was a trader, but he insisited that he must have the invoice that I got from the main dealer when I bought the car two years ago. As I said I was desperate to sell and so gave it to him, but now I'm thinking what could he have wanted this for? Also he did not leave his address (I was a bit naive and didn't think to ask him) And weeks later I get the licence renewal form from the DVLA.

Its a bit late to do anything now but I really kinda think this guy is pulling something dodgy? Any Ideas?

Q about selling my car - Hugo {P}
You should have insisted on his address and written it into the V5 top part.

If he said that he needed the V5 then you give him the bottom part.

I should phone up the DVLA to make sure he has done what you should have done and that is to forward the V5 with the bits on it to DVLA.

If not I suggest you contact the DVLA/police ASAP and tell them all.

Hugo
Q about selling my car - Mark (RLBS)
Do what Hugo says.

It won't be so funny when the speed camera NIP comes through the post.
Q about selling my car - Daish
Thanks for the advice guys. I have spoken to the DVLA and they say the new owner has registered it now thankfully.

Any ideas why he insisted on taking my original invoice though? I guess there is not much he could do with it?
Q about selling my car - BobbyG
Could be his way of trying to prove that it was legit - ie the more paperwork you can show for a car the better, the previous owner was so meticulous he even kept his original invoice blah blah
Q about selling my car - superstyler
may have been a chancer who wanted to stretch the waranty terms on said car!! i buy my cars off e-bay and turn up with cash!! i also look dodgy as i am tree surgeon, usualy very dirty through day!!!! dont judge the buyer by his appearance, cash is the one last bastion of the car market and dont be frightened by it, its actualy what checks and credit cards need to work. plus its invisible to tax man!! cash deals are good and you did sell the car.
trust must prevail
Q about selling my car - Hugo {P}
You are one lucky man Daish!

"may have been a chancer who wanted to stretch the waranty terms on said car!! i buy my cars off e-bay and turn up with cash!! i also look dodgy as i am tree surgeon, usualy very dirty through day!!!! dont judge the buyer by his appearance, cash is the one last bastion of the car market and dont be frightened by it, its actualy what checks and credit cards need to work. plus its invisible to tax man!! cash deals are good and you did sell the car.
trust must prevail"

Can I be forgiven for thinking that Superstyler was your dodgy buyer? ;)

I would go along with the others on the original receipt.

This IMO effectively forms part of the history of the car. I am the 4th owner of my Discovery and I have all the purchase receipts from new.

Just for interest sake, I had the opposite problem to the one that you escaped. The lady who sold me the Discovery either didn't send the paperwork off, or it didn't reach DVLA and the vehicle was still registered in her name months afterwards! As you can imagine taxing it did require a bit of magic! We simply agreed a later transfer date and I applied for a V5 in my name, attaching the tear off slip that she originally gave me, after using it to tax the vehicle as the transfer date was within the two months max time limit, ahem!

Hugo