Was the gesture justified - top turkey
Hi all.

Just thought I'd recount an incident from the commute home last night around J10 of the M42 and invite some comments.

I was doing the normal 70 mph and came into a 50mph zone as a result of roadworks, so upon seeing the warning signs around 800 yards, gradually reduced my speed so that by the time I was in roadworks I'd be doing 50. Went through said road works fine, and then when the national speed limit resumed, I started to gradually accelerate back up to 70 mph. All of this driving was in the left hand lane (2 lane Mway). As I am doing so, a van in the right lane is giving me all kind of gestures from behind.

He was going through the 50 zone at 70 so he interpreted my acceleration as a sign that I did not wish to be overtaken.

So should I have waited for said van to have overtaken me before accelerating or was I OK to have done what I did, given that I was only going slower at that point due to the speed restriction? Both weather conditions and visibilty were fine.

Life is too short and precious to worry over being overtaken on a road, so I can honestly say that my intention was not to make a point to the van driver.

Cheers all.

TT
Was the gesture justified - Wilco {P}
TT

Remain chilled - as you say life is too short, especially to worry about this.

Van-man is obviously stressed, and stress is a killer....
Was the gesture justified - Deryck Tintagel
Don't worry about it. I use that section through the 50mph limit from time to time and I do exactly the same thing - sit at the limit through the restriction then accelerate gently at the end.

The only thing I check for is potentially slower vehicles that may want to return to my lane. In this case I will wait before accelerating.

One thought. If white van man was doing 70mph through there then the cameras might have taken his picture :-)
Was the gesture justified - martint123
I was advised to check mirrors etc when accelerating from the end of a speed limit for just this reason. (during an observed drive).
Was the gesture justified - Van Driving Man
You were in the right; he was in the wrong.

His problem methinks. :)
Was the gesture justified - Ivor E Tower
I had a similar scare on the M4 around Swindon in roadworks some years ago. I too reduced speed to 50mph but a large, heavily laden artic behind me wished to exceed the limit. Realising his gestures were making to difference, he went into the outside lane (of 2 narrow ones in the works) and rushed past me. At the end of the roadworks comes the long climb uphill (going eastbound) and I promply passed him when I resumed cruising at 70, whilst he struggled up the hill. I really do not understand people with such mentality! Do they really expect others to break the law just because they want to?
Was the gesture justified - davemar
TT, how do you know he was gesturing about your speed? Maybe it was something else he was gesturing to you about, maybe you left a fog light on, or you did something miles ago he didn't like such as box him in? Was he even gesturing at you, or was it another car nearby?
Or maybe he was just dancing to some music in his van!
Was the gesture justified - top turkey
Hi Davemar.

All fogs lights off.

Nope - no boxing in and the van in question was not seen prior to incident.

Definately gesturing at me - coupled with tailgating when at 70, it was obviously directed at me.

I've never seen any kind of dance with such an observaable wrist movement.

;-)

TT
Was the gesture justified - Chuffer Dandridge
You were clearly in the right, and shouldn't worry about it. My guess is the van driver is one of the many motorists who apparently has some sort of immunity from the law.
Was the gesture justified - Motorwayman
TT, how do you know he was gesturing about your speed?
Maybe it was something else he was gesturing to you about,
maybe you left a fog light on, or you did something
miles ago he didn't like such as box him in? Was
he even gesturing at you, or was it another car nearby?
Or maybe he was just dancing to some music in his
van!

Good point. However, I think we can all safely assume that the fool behind the wheel of the van is the idiot here.

TT, keep up the good driving!!
Was the gesture justified - runboy
Not your fault at all. I find driving through these 40/50 limit roadworks, I will have some trying to steal the number plate from my hatch (they are that close), then as soon as you hit 70 limit again they fall away as you speed up and they revert to the 60mph, which they do, everywhere, be it dual or single roads with a 30 limit. They just drive at 60mph and god help anyone in the way.
Was the gesture justified - Phoenicks
Dont mean to be devils advocate and no offence intended Top Turkey, but there are always 2 sides to a story and we've only heard 1 side so how do we know that you werent driving badly at the time. Everyone always thinks theyre in the right.

Just wondered if there are 2 lanes and he was in the right lane and you were in the left why would you impede on him?

Also its easy to tag the other guy because he drives a van but most people dont get riled without a reason. Doesnt make aggressive and angry driving right though. Just wondering thats all.
Was the gesture justified - Andrew-T
Ivor - in your episode I would assume that the artic wanted to attack the hill with as much speed as he could muster. Can understand that, but it doesn't mean he has a right to do it.
Was the gesture justified - kithmo
I had a similar experience on the A1 where ther are 50 mph stretches with speed cameras in between 70 mph stretches. I was travelling at 50 mph approaching the end of the 50 zone and a truck, which was travelling behind me at 50 mph, decided to move out into the right hand lane, accelerating very slowly, to overtake me just before the end of the 50 zone. As I reached the end of the 50 zone he had not quite caught up with me and I wanted to increase my speed to 70 mph, so I did, leaving the truck in the right hand lane. I got the flashes and honks for his misjudgement of the situation.
Was the gesture justified - SR
Suspect that his bad reaction was based on the principle that a driver being overtaken should not accelerate.

The fact that the attempted overtake was pointless in the circumstances will not have occurred to him. Like too many, all he will have thought about is the instant desire to get past the vehicle in front of him.
Was the gesture justified - Ivor E Tower
Andrew T - I'm talking about a flat,level stretch of about 4 miles before we get to the hilly bit. This was just someone who had no respect for the law. He'd passed me well before the hill, exceeded the limit to build his speed but then it dropped as he climbed.