Keep the bonnet shut!! - henry k
Recently I read the comment to the effect that "I do not want to open the bonnet to do things in there" which raised the following thoughts.

That sounds reasonable for most folks.
What is the current situation supporting this approach.

On non executive cars:
Low brake fluid indicators are normal.
Electronic dipstick is available e.g. Renault Scenic.
Low coolant / overheating. Yaris has no temp gauge just blue thermometer on start up and red if things overheat.
Batteries sealed for life but charge indicator obviously standard.
Low washer bottle contents warning e.g. Focus.

So why open the bonnet? All the vehicles I have been involved with have the washer bottle in with the engine or in the front wing and you need to lift the bonnet for access.
Why not have a little external flap like the fuel flap?
Cost and appearance spoiling the line?
But many vehicles pump washer fluid from the front to the rear washers so why not have the bottle at the rear with a little flap and a small filler tube, then pump fluid to the front. Or have the filler pipe in the boot. There must be some volume available there somewhere. The bottle could be any shape.

My logic suggests that with available sensors etc it should be reasonable to leave the bonnet shut. The only thing the user needs to top up is the washer bottle so make that easily accessible elsewhere. Perhaps half litre bottles of 25 percent strength washer fluid could be available so you just emptied it in with no fear of overfilling?

If implemented it may require be a major retraining exercise.
Are the car makers listening or have I missed some key factors?
Keep the bonnet shut!! - keo-the-dog
who's been looking at volvo's new concept car then
Keep the bonnet shut!! - Alpha Dio {P}
or the Audi A2?
or the Audi A2?

>>
Only saw the original review of A2. Where is the little washer bottle flap?

It was the Volvo ladies concept car that triggered my thoughts.
Keep the bonnet shut!! - AR-CoolC
The A2 has a flap at the front of the car (the grill) where all of the services can be accessed. It does not have a bonnet as such but has an engine cover that is removed by releasing locking pegs and lifting the cover away.

Cracking idea

(Glass-Tech)
Keep the bonnet shut!! - daveyjp
It is a great idea and certainly raises eyebrows at petrol stations when you check the oil! 'Bonnet' removal is really easy too so no excuses not to go in there to check brake fluid levels, radiator hoses etc.
Keep the bonnet shut!! - trancer
Bad idea I think. Convienient access to washer bottles etc is great, but unless you open the bonnet on a regular basis and have a good sniff around how else will you see that frayed belt or bulging coolant hose about to let go. Both could cause a minor inconvienience, but that broken plastic retainer clip that has allowed a wiring loom to rest on a hot exhaust manifold could make for a very intersting journey.

Even the DSA driving test now requires you to open the bonnet and identify various items within.
Keep the bonnet shut!! - RichardW
Despite the changes to test, most people have not the first clue what they are looking at under the bonnet (especially with modern cars). Better for the dealers / manufacturers if people don't fiddle with what they don't understand.

Personally I would never buy a car on which you couldn't open the bonnet as I like to have a look under there every week or so to spot any impending problems (but then I tend to drive 100k+ cars).

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Keep the bonnet shut!! - Welliesorter
Even the DSA driving test now requires you to open the
bonnet and identify various items within.

I thought you just had to describe how to do things. I seem to remember reading that they were too afraid of personal injury claims to ask the candidates to fumble about under the bonnet.

As for cars as sealed units, isn't this just a continuation of the trend of hiding the engine with a plastic cover? Do these serve any purpose other than to discourage duffers (like me) from tampering with things?
Keep the bonnet shut!! - P 2501
Trancer is right, these days you do have to actually demonstrate how to check levels on the test - particularly oil.

The missus just passed last week and i havn't finished hearing about it yet...
Keep the bonnet shut!! - pmh
So what happens when you show up to the Test in an A2?

Better still in an elctric car.

Any Driving Examiners out there??????

pmh (was peter)
Keep the bonnet shut!! - Welliesorter
So what happens when you show up to the Test in
an A2?

If it has electronic sensors to check the things you'd normally look for under the bonnet you'll be OK:
As vehicle technology advances more and more vehicles are being equipped with electronic diagnostic systems, which inform the driver of the state of the engine fluid levels and tyre pressures.

It will be acceptable for a candidate to refer to the vehicle information system (if fitted) when answering questions on fluid levels or tyre pressures...
See www.dsa.gov.uk/driving/changes_to_practical_test.h...m .

Keep the bonnet shut!! - Alpha Dio {P}
> So what happens when you show up to the Test in an A2?

Given the possible questions:

Open the bonnet, identify:

1. where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how
you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.
2. where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me
how you would check that the engine has the correct level.
3. where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you
would check the windscreen washer level.
4. where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would
check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.

1 and 3 are accessible from behind the service flap and 2 and 4(?) if you pop the engine cover - though this is not something you really want to be doing on a test.
Keep the bonnet shut!! - disco2andy
try doing your test in a 911 then...

1. check engine oil - let engine idle for a couple of minutes whilst hot & read gauge on dash
2. Coolant - whats that then?
3. washer reservoir - inside fuel filler cap - have volvo only just copied that.
4. A bit more fiddly open front boot, remove carpets etc.

Andy
Keep the bonnet shut!! - AdrianM
My ex-boss bought a new Merc after moving to the US. The dealer was a bit amused when he asked to look under the bonnet as they saw no reason for him to ever have to do it. When he asked where the spare wheel, toolkit etc was located he was told that should he ever get a puncture all he needed to do was press a button inside the cabin and MB would send someone out to get him on his way again.

On the A2 you can't check the windscreen washer level from the service flap - you just fill it regularly!

On a smart

1. Under the engine cover which is located under the boot floor - note to self remove shopping, toys, brolly, coats, hats etc before deciding to check oil!

2 and 4. Stand facing the front of car, unlock right hand side service hatch with the key. Remove pollen filter housing, check coolant level and brake fluid levels (if you can see it properly!). Refitting is reversal of above!

3. Stand facing the front of the car, unlock left hand side service hatch with key. Pull washer filler hose really hard to release it from bottle. Remove filler hose cap and fill with water - you can't see the bottle as its behind too much other stuff! Refitting is reversal of above!

As you can see its a bit more complicated than just lifting the bonnet!
Keep the bonnet shut!! - helicopter
On the A2 you apparently cannot remove the hub cap without special type of allen key .

Brother in Law discovered this when he had a puncture, he emptied the boot of luggage after a weekend away to find the requisite bit missing from toolkit. Had to call out the AA to fit the spacesaver . He needed a new tyre also so he was not happy.

Is it me or is the A2 the ugliest car on the road? Looks like a wood louse.
Thanks for your contributions. As I expected there are two camps.

FIRST group. The non touchers. Those who do not know and do not want to know what goes on under the bonnet.
My ex-boss bought a new Merc after moving to the US.
The dealer was a bit amused when he asked to
look under the bonnet as they saw no reason for him
to ever have to do it.

For them supply a flashing light and buzzers to indicate an urgent garage visit is needed or top up a fluid soon.
I liked the Citroen SM approch. A large red lens in the middle of the dash that lit up STOP if any critical problem was detected.

Results so far:
The A2 does not really solve the situation with its diddy bonnet.
But:
>>try doing your test in a 911 then...
washer reservoir - inside fuel filler cap - have volvo only >>just copied that.

It appears that this is the only example of what I was suggesting
for the washer bottle top up

SECOND group. The Pokers, like me and some others above.
We prefer to have a look and check for any pending problems. That is provided you can see much under covers and in packed engine bays.

I believe the number of non touchers is growing very fast so give them an easy time with a washer bottle access outside the engine compartment and "Keep the bonnet shut".
Keep the bonnet shut!! - David Horn
I open my bonnet and check everything once a week. I have a Citroen Xsara 1.9TD and while it has an oil level gauge on the dash I like to poke around and check belts, hoses etc.

TBH, with my Xsara everything critical is monitored from inside the car - radiator level, brake level, oil level, brake pads and so on. The fan belt could break and I can still drive it quite happily as the fan is electric and the coolant pump driven from the timing belt.

My grandad's car (Honda Accord 2.5 Auto) has it's bonnet lifted once a year at it's service and the screenwash is filled then.
On the A2 you apparently cannot remove the hub cap without
special type of allen key .

Not on my A2 - there is a tool to remove the hub cap, but I\'ve never used it to get the cap off - nor did the tyre fitter down the road!