Cassette stuck in player - Ford Focus - smokie
Mrs smokie uses listening books on cassette to help her journey to work pass quicker.

Tonight she had a tape which was going slower then faster, and now it won\'t eject. It\'s from the same set which unravelled itself inside the player a few nights ago (different tape though).

I tried ejecting, the tape moves upwards but not outwards. Although I can grip it with pliers, it seems to be locked in position. Would removing the unit help?

Any ideas how to remove the tape pronto, before the library fines start to mount??? Is this likely to be a fault with the tape or something with the player?

Car is a Focus.
Cassette stuck in player - Ford Focus - Civic8
You will need to remove unit.once you have it out take the top off.1 to 3 screws hold it in place.in some cases just prise it off.you will possibly find tape wound round the head or aligning wheels.need to use fingers to pull tape away.unless badly creased should be able to save it.it is likely the tape mechanism needs cleaning as poor tapes or cheap tapes leave a residue on the wheels and heads.causing the tape to stick to them.Hope that helps?
Cassette stuck in player - Ford Focus - billy25
oh dear smokie,
sounds like the mechanism has caught a loop, and you will probably find that several yards of tape are wrapped around the various guides, locking the cassette in place. the tape will probably be useless now, so don\'t think you have much to lose by being a bit \"forceful\" with the pliers!. even if you remove the unit and open it, i don\'t think the libary will be able to lend it out again! so might want to negotiate.
sometimes caused by either using slackly wound tapes, or dirty pick-up innards of player.

billy.
Cassette stuck in player - Ford Focus - Dynamic Dave
I can grip it with pliers, it seems to be locked
in position. Would removing the unit help?

Yes, remove the unit and whip the lid off. Don't try pulling it out with pliers, you'll only end up bending or snapping the capstan pin or knackering the mechanism completely. By removing the lid you should be able to see where it's jammed.

Don't forget to look for the radio code beforehand though.
Cassette stuck in player - Ford Focus - Mapmaker
Then CLEAN the tape heads! With a cotton bud and some meths. And do it every 8 hours of listening (as important as the Cam belt or the oil change!)

If you do clean the tape heads, then this is beginning to be a regular problem, so you may need a new tape player.

ALTERNATIVELY<********** = black>

Maybe the last person to take out these tapes from the library had a duff cassette player that ate them, and it's their fault, not yours. I'd send Mrs S back to the library with her novel half unread (unlistened?) if I were you!

Don't pull at it. Follow the intellectual approach.
What happened? Mods? ?
Cassette stuck in player - Ford Focus - Dynamic Dave
As you predicted last night, \"font color\" has been added to the list of banned words. You know the reason why.

DD.
Did I really predict that? How clever of me. Was really looking forward to widespread use of invisible ink!
Cassette stuck in player - Ford Focus - timp
I got a cassette stuck in my Focus' cassette player once too. I managed to get it out by alternately attempting to eject the tape and playing the tape. Might be worth a try before dismantling it?
Cassette stuck in player - Ford Focus - smokie
Thanks Timp, I tried that one last night. Chappie at wife's work removed the player today but said the unit has anti tamper screws so he's taken it home to do tonight.

I wasn't averse to doing it, but as someone else volunteered... :-)

Will update tomorrow, and buy a cleaner tape!!