Would you accept this offer? - OAP
A friend of mine recently advertised his car on a \'Trader\' type web site and received a reply as per (censored) copy of e-mails below.

Have other Backroomers had similar replies? How did you / would you react?

> Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 12:32 AM
> Subject: 1996 ROVER 100 1.5 SD 3dr Hatchback.......£675
Hello,
My name is anonymous, i am interested in purchasing
your used car for sale.do let me know if this still
avalible.i based in ITALY IN ACCONA ,do not worry about
the shipping,My client in UK will issue you
payment.also do let me know if you accept check for
the payment.i look forward to hearing from you as soon as
possible if still for sale.i was moved by your price which
you placed it for sale.thanx

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:52:
wrote:
> Hello
> Yes the car is still for sale. I would have to wait for
> cheque to clear before releasing the vehicle to you.
> therefore cash would be easier as the transaction can be done
> same day.
> Look forward to hearing from you

Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 11:14 AM
Subject: payment and shipping arrangement

Thanks for the mail,i really appreciate your speedy response and all the details.as for payment ,there is an associate of mine in U.K who is owing me the sum of £5000 he did promise to pay me by issuing me a cashier\'s check of that amount since this is the case i will not like to delay you, i will instruct him to issue out payment that he is owning me to you so that you can deduct your £675 and send the remining to my shipping agent in italy that will settle the shipping company for the pick upplease i am willing to trust my balance to you after you have deducted your own money and any other charges. please i do not intend to send any fund to my shipper for picking up.this mean without any delay in the shipping, once the payment is in your possession i will like you to send the balance of the payment to my hipping agent via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER ASAP.for the picking i am doing this to hesten the shipping.if this proccedure is okay by y ou i will like you to forward me your contact adress where the payment will be sent to or your account information, immediatly,so as to send it to my associate immediatly to issue you the payment as soon as possible, as follow
NAME...........
STREET........
STATE.......
CITY........
ZIPCODE....
CELL PHONE......
PHONE NO..........
i will be greatful if the recent pics will be forwarded if there is one in your next mail,Your immediat respose will be highly be appreciated.
Would you accept this offer? - Garethj
It's a scam unfortunately. Ignore it and forget about it.

Gareth
Would you accept this offer? - Mark (RLBS)
You\'ve got to be joking !

He\'ll try and get the £4325 out of you before the other funds have cleared and which then strangely not materialise.

Could be fun to push it along & wind the guy up, but for goodness sakes don\'t send any money or any banking/personal details.
Would you accept this offer? - OAP
I should have said that I advised my friend not to touch it with a bargepole (in fact I almost called this thread "One born every minute?") but thought, nevertheless, that it was worth putting on the Forum as a warning to others.
Would you accept this offer? - HF
This is just like all those Nigeria things that have been written about here before. Good to see it's now spread to Europe!
Would you accept this offer? - No Do$h
Details of how this works (and a link to a rather amusing site explaining how to wind these scammers up) appear here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=17243
No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Would you accept this offer? - HF
ND you are chasing me around the forum!

I shall have to do some more random nonsensical posts later and see if you can catch me ;)
Would you accept this offer? - No Do$h
Would I do that to you?