2nd car diesel v petrol - Chuffer Dandridge
A forthcoming job change means I need a 2nd car. As I only need the car for work, I?m trying to workout how best to ensure my running cost are covered by my mileage allowance. A small petrol engine car, e.g. Fiesta 1.1, Corsa 1.2, Peugot 1.1, gives lower insurance and tax, but a lower allowance of 37p/mile. The diesel equivalents are higher tax, tend to be higher insurance, and seem similar on mpg, but will qualify for a higher mileage allowance of 43.5p/mile. My calculations suggest a diesel is the better option, as the higher rate of mileage more than offsets the slightly higher running costs. Have I overlooked anything? Is there anyone with a similar experience who can offer advice?

Other information: My journeys will all be local, probably covering no more than 200-250 miles/month. Performance and looks are not an issue, and I aiming to spend no more than 1K on purchase.
2nd car diesel v petrol - Maz
I aiming to spend no more than 1K on purchase.

Just get the best car you can for the money. In this price range you should be thinking about potential repair costs.
2nd car diesel v petrol - Ben79
I think there have been threads on here about Bangernomics before, I remember that at £1000 mark, you will struggle to get a good diesel, then probably have more chance of emissions problems at MOT time.

On a seperate note, you are only allowed to receive 40p a mile (upto 10,000 miles) under the current income tax regulations. Anything over 40p will be taxed as a benefit in kind.

2nd car diesel v petrol - Chuffer Dandridge
Thanks. Peugot 106 1.5 diesel is in £110 tax band, does 60mpg(?), and being over 1500cc qualifies for higher mileage allowance. £1,100 will buy an M plate with 84K on the clock & FSH. How likely is it that the running costs would outway the fuel economy? How likely am I to have emmission test problems? Would I be better of with the petrol equivalent, even though it will return a lower mpg, and only qualify for the lower allowance?
2nd car diesel v petrol - El Hacko
Don\'t know where you reside, Alan, but here in Epsom, Surrey work colleague is advertising the following: Peugot 205 diesel 1.8XLD, marine blue, 3 door hatch, G \'89, 55,000 miles, tax and MoT to July, family owned from new, nerw clutch and rad, very reliable and economical £550 - ring Julie 01372 756864.
PS I don\'t know her or car!