Wreg Omega 2.5V6 idle ticking noise - davef
My Omega makes an annoying ticking noise when idling. Sounds fine under the bonnet but get inside the car and it sounds a bit like a diesel. Not just when cold, but all the time. Seems to disappear as the revs increase.
I've also had a 3.0 MV6 Omega which was silent, so I know what they can sound like.
Any ideas?
Wreg Omega 2.5V6 idle ticking noise - Dynamic Dave
Could be a worn hydraulic valve lifter, or just the Idle speed control valve clicking away.

Another thought - is the noise still there with the blower fan turned off? I once had a stray leaf get stuck in the spinning mechanism once on my Vectra and basically it imitated a card stuck into a bicycle wheel spoke.
Wreg Omega 2.5V6 idle ticking noise - davef
It's not the blower fan as I switched that off.
One chap suggested it might be the rev counter mechanism because it was so prominent inside the car.

Any thoughts on how to investigate your suggestions. Worn hydraulic valve lifter sounds serious?

Cheers,
Dave
Wreg Omega 2.5V6 idle ticking noise - andy j
I have an S reg 2.5 V6 and found a ticking noise which on opening the bonnet became more like a squeak at idle (as on rollers on some photocopiers etc), eventually going away after a couple of miles. I'd recently had a new cam belt fitted, and the noise was caused by one of the tensioners. Vauxhall dealer replaced the whole cambelt kit under warranty (cheaper than replacing a whole engine, presumably!). Might be worth looking in that direction?
Wreg Omega 2.5V6 idle ticking noise - cheddar
Had similar noise on a Vectra 2.5 V6 (same engine, other way around) did it from new, cambelt and tentioner change made no difference, still going strong at 86k when I got rid of it. I have noticed it on other Vectra V6's as well.
Wreg Omega 2.5V6 idle ticking noise - Aprilia
Wouldn't be the rev-counter because they are a cross-coil design these days.
Could it be the gears rattling (does it go if you dip the clutch). What happens if you put the engine under a little bit of load (i.e. feather the clutch at idle).

Worn lifter would be easy to hear under the bonnet. I use my trusty stethoscope for such things (get one off eBay for £10). Lifter will be much louder if you remove the oil filler cap and stick your ear by it.