40 years on.. - Peter M
Does anyone want to share reminiscences about student transport? I was thinking about Swansea in the early 60's, we were driving around in a Jaguar SS 100,(£80) Fiat Topolino, Austin Big 12 Convertible,(£45) etc, all bought for a song and taken for granted at the time..talk about 'wasted on the young'!
Peter M.
Re: 40 years on.. - Martin
You lucky sod...

I had (in order of appearance):
- A BSA Starfire (250cc) traded in
- A Yamaha YCS3 (200cc) sold
- A Honda CB72 (250cc) blown up then crashed!
- A Honda 125 - sold
- Hillman Husky (Imp Estate)...looked like a hearse - crashed!
- A Mini Van - eventually sold

Then I got a job and bought a Simca 1100...

Martin.
Re: 40 years on.. - Dave
Peter M wrote:
>
> were driving around in a Jaguar SS 100,(£80)

You are kidding? That car is sex.

Worth 125k today?
Re: 40 years on.. - Peter M
Hi Dave-
When I say driving around in, I didn't mean 'own' - these cars were bought by various fellow students.-I had a Morris Minivan..! not as interesting as the other cars, but it once transported a whole can-can troupe(12) of art students!
(the front wheels touched the ground just often enough to steer it.)
I did own a 'frogeye'Sprite for a few years, but sold it when I married and aquired two young children.To replace it I bought a Mk. 2 Cortina, the worst car I've ever owned.
Peter M.
Re: 40 years on.. - Dave
Peter M wrote:
>
> Hi Dave-
> When I say driving around in, I didn't mean 'own'.

Even so. An SS 100 or an SK 120 would be a welcome addition to my stable of zero thoroughbred sportscars!!!
Re: 40 years on.. - Tomo
Well,

Over a somewhat intermittent and extended period as a student (at one stage in Glasgow I was a first year engineer AND a life member of the Union!) there were:-

1. 1940 Austin 8 (mothers' really - father had a two and a half Jag before he died but I never got my hands on that), the original rustbox.

2. BSA B31, full of expensive Gold Star parts (a Goldie would have been cheaper but I never had all the money at once). Did the ton on the Kilmarnock road, with a south westerly gale behind it - myself in sports jacket and flannels.

3. 1929 Lagonda high chassis 3-litre special, reputed to be ex-Brooklands. I only found out years later that the Z-type box was supposed to be difficult; if the clutch stop was set up properly third to top was almost instantaneous.

4. For my sins, a one and a half (1.7something really) Jag. A rather dreadful car, buit had belonged to either the procurator fiscal or some big wheel in the police in Perth, and we, my young lady and I, were once saluted!

5. Oh dear, but times were hard, another Austin 8 - 4 doors this time.

Later there were such contrasting things as a Vauxhall Velox and an XK150, but we are getting into modern times when the good lady, starting with an Imp, had the bigger shout; though she was mostly reasonably kind to me,
and has now approved what I see as my real retirement car, about 17 years after my early retirement! Must try to stay fit for a year or two.

I should, of course, have been Alan Clark
Re: 40 years on.. - Andy Bairsto
1.1937 austin 10 BKW 581
2. 1949 austin 16 BHL 999
3. 1952 triumph tr2
4. 1955 jaguar mki 2.4
5. 1959 mini van
6. 1960 fiat 1100
7. 1963 vauxhall cresta
8. 1965 vauxhall vx 4/90 60 CUB
And thats before I was married happy days past forever.
Re: 40 years on.. - Tomo
Hello Sue,

Yes, the Imp was unreliable. The gaffer used to give me it to take to the agents on the South side of Glasow, with no clutch or no water pump or whatsoever, to drive through the city traffic! I used to say that they should have a magazine for fresh rounds of water pump.

But when it was working, being an early one, it was quick and far more interesting than the Mini to drive (The engine was basically a Coventry Climax).

A good car wrecked by being sent for production to another hotbed of the unions. Imagine, could it have been built by VW!
Re: 40 years on.. - Mike Harvey
1. 98 cc Excelsior - pushed it more than I rode it
2. Honda 90 C200 - good & reliable, ran on 2/6d worth of paraffin
3. Triumph Tiger Cub - Wow, how fast was that.
4. '57 Norton 88 with watsonian monaco
5. '57 Norton 88 without watsonian
6. '57 Norton 88 with Triumph 500 engine (Triton)
7. '65 Hillman Imp, head gasket in 45mins, pneumatic throttle with puncture
8. Ist job and a Ford Anglia
Mike
Re: 40 years on.. - Richard Hall
I was a student 1987-90, just before the insurance companies started trying to force young drivers off the road. I funded my motoring by buying old cars cheaply, tarting them up a bit, running them for a few months and then selling them. The profit paid for the tax and insurance, and in 3 years I owned a Morris Minor, two Heralds, two Land Rovers, an early Alfasud Ti (top student transport, but the only car I made a loss on, due to the floor falling out) and a Hillman Avenger. Couldn't do it now, with TPFT insurance at £800 or more even for a Fiat Panda.
Re: 40 years on.. - Sue
Ah, the Hillman Imp! Had been wondering whether to start a post on unlamented extinct species ...My sister had one just as I was learning to drive in the 1970s. It was the most unreliable car any of us have ever owned.

And I think my brother had a Simca - have been trying to remember the name. Big, tank-like thing, with a hugely heavy drop down arrangement for a boot, including wind-down window in it? He had my mother help him lift the engine out, once!

For the year after I passed my driving test I drove my parents' Ford Anglia around Durham, in one of the worst winters ever. What I learned then has kept me safe in freak weather 'down south' ever since!

The boyfriend had a very old and leaky mini. Following him across the Pennines I learnt that you can't take bends at the same speed in a Ford Anglia as you can in a mini ... They don't teach you that in your driving lessons.

Then I bought my cousin's Renault 6, bright yellow and beautiful in my eyes, if a trifle underpowered with what felt like a top speed of 50 mph. Despite that, my flatmate reckoned I was the fastest driver she knew: she seemed to think I rarely went below that speed, even in London. I'm sure it's not true, but I was young at the time ...

A friend wrote off the Renault just before I married, so we bought a Vauxhall Viva, in which I don't think we ever went more than 30 miles without breaking down! For some reason we've kept to Cavaliers and Astras ever since, and it's the need to replace the latest (stolen) which has led us to HJ and the Backroom.
Re: 40 years on.. - The Growler
Love these nostalgia trips:

1956 Mobylette (tax and insurance officer? what's that?)
1955 Tiger Cub 199 cc, did an amazing 47k on same engine till big end fell thru crankcase.
1955 Enfield Bullet 500 - trad Brit single, great bike
1955 BSA A10 Gold Flash (utterly reliable, lovely bike)
1954 BOnd MK 9 (guessed it -- girlfriend had arrived! and only had bike licence)
1934 Austin 10, would run for 2-3 days after Holts PIston Seal created sufficient compression, then had to start again. Eventually both kingpins broke at 20 mph.
1951 Chevrolet Fleetline 6 cyl LHD 125 quid. Beautiful car, totally reliable, very smooth. PUlled the ladies, but held together by bondo inder a self respary of cream over Triumpg gold.
1959 Lambretta 150 cc (hit hard times at that point!)
Not for long -- 1954 Mercury v8 LHD 150 quid. Vinyl bench seats great on corners with the girlfriend in front. Pulled down and rebuilt the giant V-8 outside the house in the street!
Got a proper job, 1953 Austin A30. Not much style but never broke down.
Lost job -- 1959 Bedford CA Van 95 quid. Drove it to INdia and Nepal on a set of cheap remoulds over dirt roads in temps up to 120 with only one puncture and an airlock somewhere in YUgoland. Sold it in Katmandu for $2000. Laid my claim to be a pioneer of what became the hippy trail.
1967 Arrived in Oz. Bought a 1955 HOlden FJ with six volt elecs and a body so rusted that the it bowed and the back doors wouln'r open. Drove this the whole way on Haighway 1 from Wyndham in the NW to DArwin (that's the anti-clockwise route). D Survived 380 miles of dirt on the NUllarbor and the Barkley Highway in Qland without a problem.
All these cars were simple, had nothing much to go wrong and were easy to fix by self and cheaply when they did.

Whatever happened? Where did the fun go?
Well, I still have my 66 Mustang rag-top, so can still relive it. LIke I suspect many many others who make up the classics brigade (so many out on the roads that recent beautiful Sunday for Goodwood.

My Dad in the 1960's used to say quote unquote modern (then) cars were nothing like what he used to have when a kid (bullnose morrises etc). Doubtless in 20 years my daughter will be saying how wonderful thoise old diesel Fiestas used to be when she was at art college.......

Peter M wrote:
>
> Does anyone want to share reminiscences about student
> transport? I was thinking about Swansea in the early 60's, we
> were driving around in a Jaguar SS 100,(£80) Fiat Topolino,
> Austin Big 12 Convertible,(£45) etc, all bought for a song
> and taken for granted at the time..talk about 'wasted on the
> young'!
> Peter M.
Re: 40 years on.. - Richard
I was a student in Sheffield in the mid 70s. I had an 850cc Mini estate (the one with the woodwork). Leaky (in really wet weather pools gathered in the front footwells), but otherwise a good car. Fine with just driver and one passenger, but once or twice it failed to get up a steep hill with five people. Perhaps a mite underpowered, or maybe I was expecting too much. It had done about 96,000 miles with no major problems before I passed it on. At that time I did all my own repairs / servicing, so it was cheap to run.

For a while I also owned a Volvo 121 estate (1.7 litre, I think). Rather battered rear door on passenger side, staved in by previous owner, and paintwork in sad condition, but otherwise a good buy for £85. It had an unusual problem, too. On stopping and switching off, you'd hear a funny noise from the engine compartment: hiss... hiss... hiss... hiss. (an intermittent hissing noise repeated a few seconds apart). I couldn't think what it could be until I opened the bonnet and found out. Petrol was dripping from the carb on to the hot exhaust manifold. A case of no smoking when you checked the oil!

One day I came out of the house to find a policeman standing in the drive looking at the Volvo. 'Is that your car sir?' I admitted it was, and immediately started to feel guilty - Had I been caught speeding? Had I cut up the Chief Constable on his way to work? No. He wanted to buy it.

Richard
Re: 40 years on.. - Stu
Mini 1000, left hand drive, learned and passed my test in it, ran fine till it shoved a con rod through the block in the middle lane, over-revving to get past a lorry.
volvo amazon. - ladas are cool
i remember my old volvo amazon automatic, big red leather seats, wood dash, and it felt like you were driving a tank, it was wonderful, but i sold it and got a austin maxi in 1975 (now that WAS a horrible car).
Re: volvo amazon. - ROBIN
I used to breed pre war Mg's,in various improbable states of tune.
You could really wind the old XPAG engine up without it breaking.
You certainly couldnt do that to the horrible MPJG in the TA.
The chassis were really rather badly executed though,and the bodywork plain crude.I never missed them much.
I used to co-own a shedful of xk120/140's too.they were never road legal,although we drove them on occasion.Another car I could never see what the fuss was all about.
Like E types,Alan Clarke was quite right.Cramped,heavy,evil handling at speed.
how could the makers of the immortal D type do it?
Accountants.
I never drove a good Aston either.
never put one on a ramp and look underneath,you may not beleive what you see!
I came to be quite cynical in the seventies about the vehicles the mags were raving about.
I was in the West -End carriage trade in those days and got to drive them......
We could have a basement full of Shadows,italian exotica,American flash.....and what did we drive?
minis,mostly,and for special occasions,XJ6's.
Did you know that the much reviled Austin 3litre outhandled anything else of the same size?
Shame about the rest of it!
And if all those people who raved about Mustangs,camaros etc had actually driven them for any distance they would be raving about Plymouth barracudas.
Even then,and for many years after ,we used to read road tests of new cars we knew well and positively wet ourselves,it was so blatantly obvious they had never driven the things.
You know,Kipling was right ,nothing much changes in the motor trade.
I used to breed pre war Mg's,in various improbable states of tune.
You could really wind the old XPAG engine up without it breaking.
You certainly couldnt do that to the horrible MPJG in the TA.
The chassis were really rather badly executed though,and the bodywork plain crude.I never missed them much.
I used to co-own a shedful of xk120/140's too.they were never road legal,although we drove them on occasion.Another car I could never see what the fuss was all about.
Like E types,Alan Clarke was quite right.Cramped,heavy,evil handling at speed.
how could the makers of the immortal D type do it?
Accountants.
I never drove a good Aston either.
never put one on a ramp and look underneath,you may not beleive what you see!
I came to be quite cynical in the seventies about the vehicles the mags were raving about.
I was in the West -End carriage trade in those days and got to drive them......
We could have a basement full of Shadows,italian exotica,American flash.....and what did we drive?
minis,mostly,and for special occasions,XJ6's.
Did you know that the much reviled Austin 3litre outhandled anything else of the same size?
Shame about the rest of it!
And if all those people who raved about Mustangs,camaros etc had actually driven them for any distance they would be raving about Plymouth barracudas.
Even then,and for many years after ,we used to read road tests of new cars we knew well and positively wet ourselves,it was so blatantly obvious they had never driven the things.
You know,Kipling was right ,nothing much changes in the motor trade.
Just to bring that into more recent times,about nine years ago I read nothing but praise for the Corrado G60.
Indeed I see that they still make premium money.
I read all the road tests,even drove one briefly,and spent nineteen grand of my employers money on the thing.
I really wanted a three series coupe,but dealing with BMW dealers was just as impossible then as now.
After a week I listed twenty two unecessary design faults.
I reported them ,as asked,to VW,their reply was condescending.

At the same time ,or thereabots,I bought a Clio diesel as a runabout,new and cheap.
It had 4 unecessary design faults.

To return to the Corrado,for that sort of money is it too much to ask for a sunroof that doesnt buffet violently at certain speeds?
And that closes on the key with the windows?
is remote central locking unreasonable?
Should the paint be so soft you cant risk the thing in a car wash?
Should the ABS have a noisy orgasm every time you start up from cold?
Is a second gear that engages smoothly,every time,rocket science?
Does the engine really need a total fuel cut off at 6000 rpm?
Is a supercharger that only produces power over 70mph of any use at all?
What happened to variable speed supercharger drives as fitted to Daimler -Benz aero engines in WW2?
What about the Perbury-Hayes drive?
And how come a MK2 Golf coupe weighs about four hundredweight more than the saloon?
The build quality was certainly no better than the Renault 21 that preceeded it.
That only had three major design faults,and for ten grand I forgave it.
The dreadful old pug 405 barge that I tend to inhabit lacked only electrically heated mirrors and a decent engine.
I remember when I bought it,it was so well recommended that I didnt bother to test drive it.
Was this not the much vaunted XUD turbo?
So how come we have this flat spot all the way to 2250 rpm?
I mean for Gods sake ,you dont have to know much about compressed air supply to solve that one,especially as the pressures are trivial.