Passat - Noise driving me mad - wonderwheels
HELP. I have a 2001 Passat 1.9 TDi.For some reason unknown to me, a noise (another!) has suddenly started.It sound like a ball bearing rolling up and down the car around the centre console region.No idea what it is.I removed the centre console around the handbrake and cannot see anything.When you brake or go down a hill it rolls forward, the opposite if you go up a hill.It isn't a "short" roll either.It is about 2 secs.Anyone got any ideas?. I actually thought I'd cracked it before.I found a ball-bearing (???) in the footwell at the rear in the heater vents under the driver's seat,but this turned out to be a "red-herring" (although I've no idea why THAT was there).
Passat - Noise driving me mad - Peter D
Always difficult to sense where noises are comming from. I would check the door pockets and may be inside the doors themsleves that would give a long run for an item to roll. Do you have kids, I ask this because they do strange things like post coins inside door !! Regards peter
Passat - Noise driving me mad - dba
if its still under warranty then take it back.
there is a common rattle problem, it involves the mounting of the radio. vw no about this and its a common problem with passats (2001 shape onwards)
on the passat that i had they just changed the mouting bracket of the radio i think.

check with your dealer
Passat - Noise driving me mad - David Horn
Golf ball in the boot? ;)

Sorry.... couldn't resist!
Passat - Noise driving me mad - Clanger
I think investigating the heater duct further shouldn't be ruled out. In my experience, stray ball bearings never travel alone ...

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Passat - Noise driving me mad - tunacat
Had a similar noise on a car I once had. Never did track it down fully, but I strongly suspect it was somehow a ball bearing in the seat runner track.
VW Dealership Advice - wonderwheels
Hi again!!.Just curious on other peoples' opinion on my most recent "run-in" with VW.My VW Passat is a 2001 model 1.9Tdi (PD 130).I took ownership of the car in July 2002.It is now 3 years old and I have owned it for almost 2 years.Since I have owned the car it has been into Dealerships approx once a month.The work done has been dashboard investigation (creaking) in 6 times.Eventually new dash fitted.New Turbo unit as it kept losing power.New indicator switch.New rear number plate light unit.New boot struts.Interior light rewire as it had failed.Rear door lock and hinge replacement. There are probably more , but that is all that I can remember.In the last 2 weeks a noise developed that sounded like a ball-bearing rolling back and forth.Put it in on Monday.Dealership used their "selective hearing" said they couldn't hear anything.Took car in myself and they heard it after I pointed it out.I had previously found a ball-bearing (approx 1 cm in diameter) in the heater duct under the driver's seat coated in grease.Dealer found an identical ball-bearing in the seat runner coated in grease.However, they are saying that I am responsible and it's not a Warranty claim.I got a bill for £40 and that was with a discount.I have never seen a ball-bearing in the last 2 years never mind put it in my car.My argument was that there was more chance of a mechanic dropping it in the car as it has been in so often.However I had to pay to get my car back. Any thoughts????
VW Dealership Advice - 659FBE
The ball bearings could come from either of the front seat runners. Do you share the car with anyone of differing height and is the seat frequently adjusted, perhaps hard against the end stops?

Vote with your cheque book when you change your car. This kind of quality and dealer treatment is shameful.

I should also have said that if the runners are like the M-B ones, if you "lose" more than about 4 balls (sorry) the seat gets wobbly.

VW Dealership Advice - Aprilia
I think the BB will have come from the seat runner mechanism - and I would have thought that it would be a warranty issue.
On further thoughts, rather than accusing a heavy handed co-driver, I wonder if the agent removed the front seats in order to do the other work on the dashboard. I suspect all of the balls didn't go back into the runners.

VW Dealership Advice - HectorG
Hi wonderwheels

2001 must have been a bad year for VW. I had a 2001 MY Golf GT TDi. In the first 2 years it had the following parts:

water pump
cylinder head
flywheel
complete engine
alarm system
sunroof motor
ECU

I can't complain about the dealer as they fitted a new engine @ 40000 miles when I did not know there was a problem. It had gone in for a service and came home with a new engine and no bill!
As the 40,000 service on this model year involved a very expensive cambelt change I was quite pleased this problem coincided with a service.

BTW, I did wonder if some grease-monkey had forgotten to put the sump plug in when changing the oil and had then started the engine!

Needless to say, I have now forsaken VW for Honda.

HectorG
VW Dealership Advice - DL
That makes for some pretty scarey reading!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link