tyres and alignment bmw 318 - kal
Hi

BMW 318 1999 model 47,000 kms

Car started to suffer from steering wheel wobble/shimmy at 50 -60 mph so took car to local tyre place, changed the two front tyres Bridgestones, had them balanced and also had the alignment checked, balancing was out but alignment ok, chap said steering dead straight. I remember him placing something over the steering wheel and also checking the distamce between the two wheels. He did not undo or tighten. re adjust any rods etc.

I week later still the same, steering wheel wobble at 50 60 mph, sits in my car and we go for test drive, say's every thing ok no sign of wobble or pulling. However comment that noise coming from rear tyre, says rear tyre has not worn evenly accross width, I check tyre looks good to me with plenty of tread

Can anybody help please, are my rear tyres the cause of my steering wheel vibration/shimmy or is it the front wheel alignment should I get my two rear tyres changed (4 tears old) but have plenty of tread. I live and work in the middle east where the temp can distort rubber.

Thanks for any replies

tyres and alignment bmw 318 - Dynamic Dave
If you haven't already had the rear tyres balanced, that's where I would start.
Thanks Dave, I will probably get the rears changed as well plus balancing, after all given the heat and humidity in the UAE, I might as well.

By the way over here two original 15" Bridgestone Turanza cost approx 100GBP fitted. Of course thier is little or no tax and the labour is cheaper than the UK.

I will report back.
tyres and alignment bmw 318 - John S
kal

You've probably beaten me to it, but I was going to suggest that the rear tyres may be distorted and out-of-round, which cannot be cured by balancing. Replacement is the only option. If you swap them one at a time for the spare it may identify the faulty tyre.

FWIW my 3 series wears the rear tyres very evenly over the width of the tread.

Regards

John S
Thanks John, would rear tyre distortion show up in the form of a steering wheel vibration/shimmy.

If it still persists then I will have to get a proper 4 wheel alignment check. By the way how has your BMW performed, I am mildly dissapointed with mine, quite a few electrical niggles.
tyres and alignment bmw 318 - dilbert
This subject is one I am familiar with - for ages I had similar problems with wheel balancing on my 2000 3 series.

The problem started after the car had been in for minor accident repairs. At the time, I thought the wobble was caused by damage that had not been noticed at the time of repair. In the following months the car was in and out of my local dealer numerous times for alignment checks, new wheel bearings, wheel balancing, wheel rotation, even one new wheel. It made no difference - the wobble was still there. Eventually, in desperation, my local dealer switched all the wheels and tyres from one of their demonstrators and the wobble miraculously disappeared. The tyres were just about the only components that had not been suspected and it turned out that they were the cause of the problem.

I had four new tyres fitted and it's been as good as new since. All four tyres wear very evenly. I did have a theory at the time that the tyres were somehow deformed by the body repair process, but I'm not so sure. Is paint 'baked' on? Maybe someone else can verify this. It just seemed to have a weird parallel with the UAE heat idea...

kal

Out-of-round rear tyres will tend to make the car shake, and may make the steering wheel shake but not 'waggle' the wheel in quite the same was as out of balance fronts. I've got a '99 323, now done 44k. Now had it three years, and (touch wood) nothing to complain about. First pair of tyres at 36k, and no faults at all.

delbert

Yes, the whole car can be put into an oven to bake two-pack repairs. Can't remember the temperature, but it's high.

Regards

John S
Thanks,

had the rear two tyres changed last night, rears required balancing (15g and 25g), took for test drive, steering wobble still not fixed, so will go and get proper alignment check.

Thanks for replies.
oh and by the way another problem is that when testing the car how much vibraton/wobble should one expect due to the natural camber and road imperfections in the road.

I should stress that up to 60km you can drive and place just two fingers from both hands on the steering wheel and feel nothing, at above 60km to say 80km you do notice a definite wobble or shake, if you hold the wheel firmnly you cannot feel it.

Thanks
kal

I'd swap those two new, nicely balanced rears to the front and then try it.

Regards

John S
Hiya.. and update on my BMW tyre prob..

update, had the car properly aligned, alignment out and adjusted, went on test drive car better but not perfect, back to garage, wheels balanced again, and then tested again some improvement noticed, but again not perfect, back on ramp car checked...seem control arm bushes are worn out......

could this be the problem...apparantly they should be tight, but mine have some play in them.....cost of bushes from BMW circa 100 GBP

over to you gentlemen.

Thanks for all replies and comments.

Rgds.

kal