Oil Leak - Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) - MarkSmith
Hi,

My Rover 220 turbo (petrol, 1995, 60k miles) has developed quite a nasty oil leak. It's come on very quicky and oil is basically pouring out when it's running. It runs down to and drips off the bottom of the gearbox (the flat part with the mount at the front).

Degreased engine/box as best I could on the weekend - got the bottom pretty clean but access to the top is terrible (rigid air con pipes in the way). Did my best anyway. Made sure the area around the block/head join just below the distributor was clean and dry.

Ran for a bit and there was plenty of oil runing off the gearbox. Could trace it up the front of the gearbox but after that I just couldn't see.

Although there is a leak (as with all these engines) from the head, this is a tiny weep and almost certainly not the cause of oil running off the bottom. It was still almost dry.

So: anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be? The only thing I can think of is the oil seal around the crankshaft. Anyone have any experience of these causing trouble?

I will get a garage to have a look (not taking the gearbox off myself!) but I'd like to go armed with suggestions to avoid paying for unnecessary investigation and/or work.

Thanks!
Mark
Oil Leak - Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) - DL
Yes....it'll almost certainly be the crankshaft rear seal.

Hopefully your clutch will have escaped injury....but I guess it'll be replaced when the box come sout - it's false economy not to.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Oil Leak - Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) - MarkSmith
Thanks very much. Garage will be looking at it tomorrow so I'll try and remember to post their diagnosis.

Here's hoping for a straightforward repair without replacing the flywheel etc...

Cheers,
Mark