Tyre advice - MichaelR
Hi there,

I've finally purchased a Mondeo. I collect my 99V 2.0 Ghia X on Monday if all goes according to plan.

It's going to need two new tyres in the near future though, so I intend to move the front ones onto the back and get new fronts. It takes 205/50/R16's, and currently has Dunlop SP Sport 9000's all round, which have alloy wheel rim protector things on it.

I've found these tyres for £87 at Mytyres, and the writeup on the test links they give make them sound pretty good. However I've been recommended Goodyear Eagle Venturers - and the writeup shows these to be even better. But, they dont have the rim protectors and it will mean I'll have different tyres front and rear. The Goodyears are £5 a corner cheaper.

What do you guys recommend? Any better bets to go for?

Cheers.
Tyre advice - Gazza
I was in a similar situation about 18 months ago when I was still at university so here is what I did.

Got an Nissan QX with 2.5mm on fronts and 6mm on the rear, all Bridgestones RE88, which were good tyres but no doubt the original set since leaving the factory. I swapped the rear to the front and drove the car very hard for 5000 miles, including 2 road rallies, to get the tread down to 3mm all round.

Then I went to Costco and bought 4 new Michelin Pilot Primacy for £255.40 inc. VAT which I believe was the best choice for ride and wet and dry handling. I did 20,000 miles on this set and it is still 6.5mm all round.

Dunlop SP9000 and Goodyear Venturers are both good tyres but IMHO does not justify their cost when the Michelin are less than £64 each.

Also, I heard that Goodyear Venturers wears very quickly.
Tyre advice - carayzee
They've got Pirelli P6000's for £77 - so £10 cheaper each.
Tyre advice - Aprilia
Had a set of Eagle Ventura tyres on my Merc for the last 18 months - excellent tyres and wear rate is just fine.
Got new Goodyear NCT5's on another car and they seem to be very good.
Wife's Primera 2.0i has recently had Continental Premium Contacts - again they seem good.
Its hard to recommend one over the other, but if you can get the Ventura's at a good price then go with them.
Tyre advice - MichaelR
I take it you guys dont think mixing brands is a problem?

Costco prices sound ace, there isn't a Costco anywhere near here though. People seem to rave about Micheldever tyres though - I could probably pop into them on the way home with the car. Are they a decent place?
Tyre advice - Marc
I don't think it matters (in terms of safety and dynamics) having different brands front to rear as long as they match on each axle.

I always match all my tyres (personal preference) so I tend to stick with whatever the car comes with, unless I have to replace a full set in which case I would go for the cheapest decent brand tyres I could get
Tyre advice - epaul
Ive jus put Dunlop SP9000's on my 97 328i BMW awesome, awesome, awesome has made all the difference to me. A bit epensive but worth it. My car feeels brand new
Tyre advice - ludekev
Just put Goodyear eagle f1's on my 97 Prelude Vtec and these tyres are the best I have had on any car, it feels like it's on rail lines when cornering the grip in wet & dry is a different ball game now.
Tyre advice - BobbyG
Michael, might be worth doing a forum search on tyres as there has been many a debate on whether you should put new tyres at front or back.
Logic says put them at the front, experts and manufacturers all say put them at the back!
Tyre advice - geoffster
Goodyears sound fine. But shop round on price. Get bottom line figure on fitted, balanced etc plus vat. Lots of places seem cheap until you add it all up.
Tyre advice - SlidingPillar
In fact, asking for the drive away price and not caring how they do the math, can often result in a better quote first time.

As I can no longer use the phone (too deaf) to ring around I find this a useful tactic.