TESCO fiasco, again - GY
I think I have enough from Tesco, ... but it may be of some interests for some backroom readers.

After find out my insurance policy has been terminated without my knowledge, they promised to reinstate it for me. Well, to my amazement, I received a letter from Tesco to state that they cancel my breakdown assistance coverage at MY REQUEST, etc. I was on the phone for almost an hour and no one, including the Manager, can explain what this is all about to me. The Manager even said that the letter was sent out earlier before received my phone call on Monday, ?, but I told her the letter stated explicitly that the insurance policy is reinstated but the breakdown assistance coverage has been cancelled at my request! I suggest to fax her all the relevant documents to proof that I am not lying, she just told me the same answer again and again, ? (one of her colleagues told me that they sent me 5 letters before terminate my policy ? suddenly 3 more letters appeared out of nowhere within 3 days!!!).

The manager even told me that my policy has been terminated on the same day that I called them, what a coincidence! Martyn & others are right - their administration & customer service is "excellent", so "well" that you can't ask for more!

I eventually decided to terminate my policy since I don?t know what will happen next indeed. I have to pay more for the new policy but I don?t want to worry about driving without insurance, etc.
Re: TESCO fiasco, again - Martin Wall
I may be mistaken but I believed that the Tesco insurance service was actually provided by Direct Line - at least the web pages used look stunningly similar.

Does anyone know if this is correct?
Re: TESCO fiasco, again - Dan J
Forwarded related topics to someone here (for their own protection) who has just taken out Tesco insurance - they swapped from Direct Line and the two polices documents side by side are identical save for the letter head on the paper.

Tesco seem to be about 2/3 the price of Direct Line so why they would be selling their own insurance on and undercutting their own price is anybody's guess...
Re: TESCO fiasco, again - Chris
Dan J wrote:
>
> Tesco seem to be about 2/3 the price of Direct Line so why
> they would be selling their own insurance on and undercutting
> their own price is anybody's guess...

It's called "price differentiation". It's the same principle that VAG uses when it badges essentially the same cars as VW, SEAT and Skoda. The idea is that some people will pay the higher price, so why not give them the opportunity to do so. Clever stuff, huh?

Chris
Re: TESCO fiasco, again - Martyn (Back Room Moderator)
In the first generation of this thread, I wrote:

> Out of interest, last year I was insured through Tesco
> (it's a front end for Direct Line Insurance, by the way,
> or so they told me).

Talk about nappies!
Re: TESCO fiasco, again - Mark (Brazil)

To whoever it was that asked if Direct Line & Tesco were the same insurance..

Tesco Personal Finance Limited is a joint venture between The Royal Bank of Scotland plc and Tesco PLC.

Information you provide to UK Insurance Limited may be shared amongst Tesco PLC, Direct Line Group Limited and Tesco Personal Finance
Re: TESCO fiasco, again - mike
TESCO'S !!! ha i spit on thier service.

anybody with tesco insurance, read the policy VERY carefully. If the car has to go in for damage repair/paintwork, you will not get a courtesy car, even if the garage where the car has been taken has cars available. almost all other policise i have looked at will give you the courtes car.

renewal dates, when they send you a reminder, the date on the letter is about 2 to3 weeks before the renewal date, but it seems to take 2 weeks to get to you. I kept the last one, and the date on the post mark of posting from leeds, was 10 days after the date on the letter, i wonder how that happened?
Re: TESCO fiasco, again - John Kenyon
mike wrote:
>
> TESCO'S !!! ha i spit on thier service.
>
> anybody with tesco insurance, read the policy VERY
> carefully. If the car has to go in for damage
> repair/paintwork, you will not get a courtesy car, even if
> the garage where the car has been taken has cars available.
> almost all other policise i have looked at will give you the
> courtes car.
>

Direct Line have a similar policy for own fault accidents.

The answer is to get yourself a quote from a local garage who provides
a "free" courtesy car.

Note the quotes around "free" as the insurer will usually end up paying in
the end.

/john