HT Leads Audi - dba
advice would be appreciated

HT leads have gone on 1998 A6 1.8T, anyone know rough idea of cost to replace them. also do you have to replace the distributor as the same time?

cheers
HT Leads Audi - MW
Try Europarts.
They seem to quote an A6 1.6/2.0 ADT/ABK/AAE 1994-1996 at £39.75p + VAT.
I don't think the distributor cap has to be replaced. They don't specify a distributor cap in the catalogue. Maybe a VW one fits. Take the old number along. If it is a Bosch. The number should be stamped on it.
Whenever I have bought a new second hand car I always replace the distributor cap and rotor arm. Usually this is under £20, and it gives you peace of mind that you have about 5 years with no trouble in this area. Seems a shame to relace the laeds, and not go the whole way. It makes replacement easier, especially as these componants can 'Rust in' if it has distributor screws holding the cap on.
3 tips.
1). If there are screws, put a little grease on the threads so it comes off easy next time.
2). Replace each lead, one at a time so you get them in the right order connected to the right plugs. Then no misfire.
3). Never pull off leads from stubborn plugs by the lead itself and not the plug connector.
I did, and that's why I needed new leads! Stupid really, and only the result of lack of patience.
Halfords quoted me over £100 for Mercedes leads, Europarts £30!
Go on, replace the lot. You will feel good afterwards.
HT Leads Audi - dba
whats the rotor arm do and how much would u expect a garage to replace it? i can get part from europarts. my mechanic charges £25 an hour which isnt bad
HT Leads Audi - steveo30
you really should change these your self....its very easy,not worth the hassle going to a garage
HT Leads Audi - dba
think i mite invest in haynes manual and do it myself. what spanner level is it!!
HT Leads Audi - RichardW
1.8T? Isn't this the engine VAG had all the trouble with the coil packs on - and therefore is probably doesn't have HT leads? Most big engines built in the last few years seem to have gone over to coil packs, and I think it's very very unlikely that a peformance engine such as this has an archaic rotor arm.... I could be wrong of course - I only buy cars that don't have spark plugs :-)

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
HT Leads Audi - Cyd
Since you're running a turbo petrol can I suggest you upgrade to some decent leads rather than the pathetic items most OEs fit. i upgraded my Rover turbo to Magnecor KV85s about three years back after going through several sets in a short time. Basically it was the heat of having a turbo that killed them. the KV85s were developed for power boat racing in the USA and come with a 10yr guarantee. They improved the running on mine and are still going strong.

www.demon-tweeks.co.uk do them, but look up Magnecors own site and find a nearer stockist.
HT Leads Audi - DL
Richard - I'd agree with you aswell.....I wouldn't expect to find HT leads on this motor.

But...we could all be wrong!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link