BMW 540 Touring - richard turpin
I have been offered an N reg 540 Touring, 95,000 miles, full main dealer history from new. The price is about £5,000. It has leather and air. Does anyone have any opinion as to whether I should buy it? Am I letting myself in for trouble, or not. It goes very well. Thanks.
Re: BMW 540 Touring - Mark (Brazil)
I have no idea about the price and whether it is a good deal, but I had one. Absolutely great car. I would never have sold it but I changed countries.

At least on mine I never had any problems of either reliability or quality and it was great to drive long distance. Mind had something around 140,000 miles on it by the time I left it.

loved it, loved it, loved it.
Re: BMW 540 Touring - honest john
Could have the Alusil bore liner problem which manifested itself on these alloy block V8s. Different from the Nickasil bore lining problem on the alloy sixes, but essentially mthe same thing. Bore lining material eaten away causing heavy oil consumption.

HJ
Re: BMW 540 Touring - Andrew Bairsto
If you source a BMW in Germany as Dave is looking to do it will not have bore wear problems caused by crap petrol
BMW 540 Touring - David Lacey
This is one of the cars I have been looking at in the German Autotrader (www.Mobile.de)
Estates appeal to me and buying one of these in LHD and converting it to LPG operation seems worthwhile.
Insurance is a bit steep though.
I was wary of the cylinder liner problem, but I guess one with a few miles under its belt should be OK

David
Another site is autoscout24.de for sourcing German new and secondhand cars.
Regards the 540 they are regarded as pyriahs in Germany I do not know why but my local BWM man says keep to straight six petrol and diesels engines, v8 maintainance and repairs can go through the roof.The favourite is the 2.5tdi estate good for 500000km and more.
Re: BMW 540 Touring - richard turpin
Many thanks for all the replies. I was unaware of the bore wear problem on the V8. A friend had it on a 328 at about 90,000 miles but BMW paid for it. Cost £3,200. Will be a fortune on the V8.
ANDREW: You say it's caused by crap petrol. Do you know which brands are OK, or is there a product one can add to the petrol to avoid bore wear problems?
Thanks again everyone, and HJ for highlighting the problem.
Its basically all uk petrol.this problem did not arise in mainland europe.but as BMW have now changed their engines it is important that you buy one that has been converted
Re: BMW 540 Touring - Martyn
a mate had one from new in about 97 - he sold it after a very short time because of poor reliability and appalling service from arrogant BMW dealers