Carlton cutting out. - elisa1
Wish I'd scrapped this car now! After an engine rebuild etc our Carlton is now back on the road. Unfortunately whilst driving on the M1 the other night it just totally lost power and cut out. We pulled into the hard shoulder and it started again and was fine. It did this 2 or 3 times, once the engine almost "coughed" as well. The tickover is a bit low as well and whilst I can adjust this myself would this cause these symptoms?
Carlton cutting out. - frostbite
Simple things first! When this happens, take the filler cap off slowly and see if there is a sucking noise.

It could be a blocked air vent causing a vacuum and stopping the fuel getting through.
Carlton cutting out. - Dynamic Dave
Is the air intake correctly fitted over the exhaust, and secondly, is the valve that allows either cold or warm air into the intake working? From what you're saying, it sounds like your fuel/air mixture could be icing up.
Carlton cutting out. - Philflies
an engine just cutting out can be a v.difficult one to diagnose. A year ago our Astra started doing pretty much what you described, just stopping dead without warning and then after a moment or two, you could restart and it would run fine.
After much tinkering and numerous visits to garages we had the Distributor and Ignition coil replaced (costly), been running fine since. (I shall spare you the stories of Vauxhall putting the distributor on completely wrong).

errrmm hope that helps ?
Carlton cutting out. - SpamCan61 {P}
I haven't had time to do a proper forum search; but I'm sure I've read somewhere that dodgy fuel pump relays can give this sort of problem on Vauxhalls of this age.