Hard cold starting, Yamaha Scooter.125cc - Greg R
I have a Yamaha Scooter (125cc yp125).

The problem I have is that it is difficult to start in the colder weather. I can hear the starter is turning but the engine will not fire. The charging system has been charged and is O.K.

I had to have the bike started with leads by the RAC where it started first time.

Also, in the colder weather, it seems to stall when started and can only be kept running if I opening the throttle.

When started, it re-starts first time.

I hope some can help me;
Many thanks in advance.
Hard cold starting - solara
I assume this is a two-stroke engine.
Do you have a manual choke? Do you use choke on cold start?
How old is your battery? Have you checked batt level, and tried starting with it fully charged?
Hard cold starting - Greg R
It is a four stroke.

The battery is fully charged and the level is O.K.

Usually it starts first time in the summer.

Do you think a new battery is the best bet?
It is an automatic choke; perhaps it is sticking?

Also, would a low water level in a battery cause it to be ineffective?

Also, the battery is only 1 1/2 years old now. I use the bike for long 30 miles + trips so I doubt the battery is flat.
I assume its electric start, and thats when you have a problem. Does it have kick start? Does it start okay with that?

Batteries usually show up weaknesses in the cold. So Id suspect that first.
Regarding your engine dying after a short start, it may be that the automatic choke is sticking. Check the state of your spark plug after it dies. Is it black and sooty. If so, then it is running on choke for too long.
The spark plug after start-up from cold seems to be fine. I had this checked by the RAC as they came out. But, with regards to the sticking choke - can they be cleaned and returned back to normal or does it need replacing?
It does not have a kick start -it simply has an electric starter motor.
Soryy dont know specifics of your carburettor. But I would guess the automatic choke is some type of thermo-mechanical device. If you've never opened up a carb up before, I'd leave it to a garage to check.

I would check the battery first, as the electronic ignition module on two-strokes can be fussy on the voltage. My 2 stroker would fail to start with a weak battery, and thats with a good kicking! Starts first kick once battery is charged up.
Hard cold starting - Malcolm_L
Two separate problems here.

Low voltage appears to the cause of non-starting, the fact that it started first time on a jump start speaks volumes.

First of all - is the starter turning over at a reasonable speed?
If it isn't and the battery is suspect - get it replaced.
I'd also check the voltage when running - is there enough output from the alternator.
I'm not familiar with scooters but if the ignition system isn't getting full voltage, the spark may be very weak which is causing the non-starting.

The stalling when cold is probably just a choke/idle speed adjustment which needs sorting.

Italian tune-up might help although smaller engines tend to
work harder anyway.
Just a thought. Have you ever tried jump starting it?
Having it jump started makes it start first time;

The rectifier which is the alternator has been checked through the battery terminals and is working properly. It seems only with freezing temperatures that it doesn't start i.e. it snowing here in london.

Would a sealed battery be better at starting the motor? Scooter batteries are very small and I think the problem probably lies here.
Sorry Greg, I meant push-starting it (jump-on-whilst pushing, not via jump leads). Agreed, replace the battery.
Hard cold starting - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

If the battery is only 1 and a half years old i suggest you take it back for a warranty claim if you still have the reciept as they should have at least a 2-3 year warranty.

Hope this is usefull.
Martin Winters.
Hard cold starting, Yamaha Scooter.125cc - THe Growler
Two things I'd do here (in biker mode).

Junk the battery and get a maintenance-free one. Buy an aerosol of carb cleaner, take off the air cleaner and spray generously with the engine running. Whether the problem is the fuel system (sticking choke) or the battery oomph that should fix it. You may need to adjust the idle screw after this or you may not.

PS: 3 year warranty on a bike battery? Not where I live. I reckon on a 2 year life max on my bikes.
Hard cold starting, Yamaha Scooter.125cc - Nortones2
Maybe the first and cheapest thing to do is to check the battery connections for 1. corrosion and 2. mechanical tightness. Then find the earthing strap if steps 1 and 2 are no good, and clean that. Only then spend money on a new battery.
Hard cold starting, Yamaha Scooter.125cc - Greg R
Out of interest, is there a way of using a car battery in a motorbike or scooter? I know that both are in my case 12v. How would one bypass the connections difference? In terms of space, I have space under the seat so that wouldn?t be a problem. Also, what precautions should be taken when starting a bike with jump leads; I saw one patrol use a screw driver connected to the jump leads to the positive terminal but do not know the reasoning behind it.

Also, can a diesel car battery be used in a petrol car. Just wondering if there are any differences.

Finally, with regards to THe Growler advise. When using carburettor cleaner, does the engine need to be warm when applied. Also, should the bike be run for a certain number of miles for it to be effective? And, what would be the implications of over application?

Many thanks for everyone?s advise.
Hard cold starting, Yamaha Scooter.125cc - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

I believe that a diesel battery has to have more cranking amps to turn a diesel engine over longer than a petrol car to get it going.

I may be wrong.

Regards.
Martin Winters.
Hard cold starting, Yamaha Scooter.125cc - Schlafen

I had a simillar issue and I don't know whether it relates to this one but I fixed it by fixing valve clearance. I thought I'll share it here.

It was a massive pain to figure this out. But when sorted - everythihg is ticking as new. Phew...