Mayonnaise on oil filer cap Merc E class - Bblls94
Looking for some help/advice from you all out there.

I bought a 98 E240 Elegance estate with 125K miles up last October.
Car has full history and in excellant condition.
After christams when the car had done around 1K mile ropund trip I checked oil and needed to add a little and found creamy deposit on the oil filer cap. I took the car straight back to dealer who said if it was not using water (which it hasn't), then it was unlikely to be head gasket and that all manner of other reasons could explain the deposit. He cleaned it said to come back if there was a problem.

Any thoughts/comments similar experienece welcome. Thanks

Mark
Reading
Mayonnaise on oil filer cap Merc E class - A Dent{P}
Is there mayo on the dipstick?, if not the thermostate may have failed open, is it warming up ok or taking ages?, or could be something else, or even nornal in this weather.
Mayonnaise on oil filer cap Merc E class - Aprilia
If not using water then unlikely to be a problem (just condensation).
Keep an eye on water level though - these engines have a bit of a reputation for head gasket going (head bolts can snap).
Quite a lot go at 50-60k miles, from what I've heard, so it may already have had a replacement head gasket.
Mayonnaise on oil filer cap Merc E class - NormanB
It could be as simple as short runs, lazy or defective thermostat (all combined with winter!)or the more expensive head gasket.

There a re a couple of cheap tests that could help diagnose head gasket failure but it is more of an art than a science. Test expansion tank for products of combustion with exhaust analysis sniffer and pressure test expansion tank to check applied pressure held. Both are really garage jobs unless you happen to have the kit.