MkII Golf - Notchy Steering - Rob the Bus {P}
Good morning all

On my way home from work just now the steering on my '89 Golf GTD suddenly became very notchy.

I feel as though I am 'fighting' the steering, especially when turning left. I checked for punctures etc, but as it was dark could only ascertain that the tyres were the round shape that the makers intended.

The steering will turn maybe an eighth of a turn, then notch, the another eighth, then notch and so on.

If you have any idea of what this maybe, then I'd be very grateful. I just hope it isn't going to be too expensive!

Cheers

Rob
MkII Golf - Notchy Steering - Wee Willie Winkie
How much can a steering rack be for one of these? If it's more than £150 then forget it! (for reasons you well know). Going to send you e-mail now.
MkII Golf - Notchy Steering - AN Other
I remember from my Mk II GTI the front suspension and rack take a beating on these cars. It's worth checking the following:

1. Are the strut top swivels seized? If you open the bonnet and turn the steering, you should see them moving. You or a friend might spot if one appears stiffer than the other. Might be easiest checked on axle stands. The black plastic caps just pull off the strut tops.
2. Same goes for the lower ball joints.
3. Seized track rod end? Unlikely, but possible.
4. The steering rack may be partially seized. The GTI ones used to wear quite badly, so I wouldn't be surprised if this were the problem. They're not dear from the breakers, but fitting is probably 2-3 hours garage labour or a fun half day if you do it yourself and enjoy lying underneath a car in very uncomfortable poses. I speak from experience...

Hope this helps.
MkII Golf - Notchy Steering - Rob the Bus {P}
Thanks for you replies. Ta for the e-mail DB.

I got into it this morning to take it into the garage and it drove absolutely fine. No notchy steering at all.

The garage couldn't find anything wrong, although they did pick up on worn engine mountings which he said *might* have had something to do with it.

Never mind, it's going in for it's MoT next Wednesday. Should be fun...

Cheers

Rob
MkII Golf - Notchy Steering - Drew20
might just be the bearing in the steering column, or the universal joint at the bottom of the column
fingers crossed
MkII Golf - Notchy Steering - Ben {P}
Yeah bearing in the steering column goes- can move the steering wheel up and down? There are nylon bushings at the end of the rack where the track rods emerge from (well there is on a gti). the can wear and break. Maybe one had broken and got caught. Is there any play in the rack. Get the car on ramps and yank the track rods.
Give the front wheels a kick- are the top mounts gone? Not that difficult to change with the right tool- i got a friend to weld me one up i piece of steel with a whole in it welded to a socket.
Does the car have power steering?