Prang - why call the cops? - bazza
Folks

Today I was in a supermarket car park and there was a minor collision between 2 cars. Fair bit of damage, no one injured, people standing around etc, both cars looked driveable. A typical prang, probably happens hundreds of times daily. Half a mile up the road, squad car, lights and sirens on, heading for the supermarket. My question, WHY? I was always under the impression that as long as details were exchanged, no one injured and no damage to property etc, the police are not required. I certainly wouldn't have bothered hanging around. Am I out of date with my thinking in our "blame and claim" society?
Baz
Prang - why call the cops? - Bromptonaut
Sure they were going to the prang and not a shoplifter or drunk?

Took some persuasion to get ours out last night for cars and scooters being thrashed on the Community Centre car park.
Prang - why call the cops? - bazza
It's possible and indeed my thoughts were surely they weren't heading for the prang but it's a rural supermarket and not much else was happening as far as I could see! Then I started wondering under what circumstances people call them out these days, I certainly wouldn't want plod involved so long as I could help it! Obviously depends on the circumstances but generally speaking ...and I would have thought that typically they've more important things to do than have someone for taking a wing off!
Prang - why call the cops? - Armitage Shanks{P}
If they are in a supermarket car park they can't be hiding behind trees taking pictures of cars!
Prang - why call the cops? - Thommo
Police will not attend an accident on a public road if no one injured let alone one on private land and especially not with lights and sirens on.

Must have been going somewhere else.

Was Robert Kilroy Silk in the area by any chance?
Prang - why call the cops? - Doc
You can telephone the police if you think a motoring offence (eg dangerous driving) has been committed.

Prang - why call the cops? - Jane
You can telephone the police if you think a motoring offence
(eg dangerous driving) has been committed.

My cousin tried that whilst following a very erratic (drunk?) driver for around 15 miles. 3 phone calls to Sussex police explaining that the car was all over the place elicited no response. Cousin and 'drunk' parted company at a roundabout but half an hour later my cousin came back up the country road that the other driver had gone down and surprise surprise, encountered a tailback caused by a fairly serious crash between an innocent driver and the one the police had been warned about 3 times.

Maybe there was a queue at the doughnut shop, who knows...
Prang - why call the cops? - pdc {P}
Took some persuasion to get ours out last night for cars
and scooters being thrashed on the Community Centre car park.

next time tell them that the drivers are exceeding the speed limit by about 3 mph and they'll be there in a shot!
Prang - why call the cops? - Chad.R
>>
>> Took some persuasion to get ours out last night for
cars
>> and scooters being thrashed on the Community Centre car park.
>>
next time tell them that the drivers are exceeding the speed
limit by about 3 mph and they'll be there in a
shot!

No, they'll just fit a SC in the Community Centre car park :-)

Chad.
Prang - why call the cops? - runboy
A static Special Constable (SC) eh? Whatever next...... :-)
Prang - why call the cops? - Carl2
My car was hit by a geriatric driver. He got out of his car and apologised. He said he would pay for the damage if I could give him an estimate. I gave him the estimate and he said he could not afford it so he would sendit off to his insurance company. After a week I had not heard anything from his insurance so I popped round to see him. He picked up his phone and pretended to be having a go at his insurance co. another week went by and I phoned his insurance co. They had not had any contact with this gentleman but said any claim at his age would make him uninsureable with them. I told him what had been said and he then said the accident was my fault. I went straight to the police station where I was told hard luck. So in future any accident I am involved in you will find me complaining of a bad back. Then the police will have to make out an incident report, and save me the hassle.
Prang - why call the cops? - Hawesy1982
I think that in any future accident i am in where there is any doubt at all over blame, i would either want a decent civilian witness to be in attendance, or want the police to attend to view the incident. Add to this pictures from a one-use camera kept in the glovebox. All to often the situation is arising where guilty parties retrospectively change their story
Prang - why call the cops? - Blue {P}
I reported my minor bump recently, pleased I did as well, and also had the benefit of the camera.

The taxi driver claimed the next day that the accident was my fault as I was in a no-car lane so shouldn't have been there in the first place!

The fact that it was 12:30am (no-car lane operates 7am - 7pm) and the no-car lane ended 50 yards before the junction where I was actually stopped appear to have been forgotten!

Fortunately I had the camera and a Police report there to remind him :-)

Which reminds me, I must update my accident thread!

Blue
Prang - why call the cops? - runboy
Toyota good on this point-free camera when I got my Corolla last year.