Clio petrol tank problem - volvoman
Brother in law has just shelled out c. £800!!!!!! to have the petrol tank in his 'R' plate Renault Clio replaced. Apparently it had ruptured although the garage couldn't really explain how. Anyone come across this probelm before ?
Clio petrol tank problem - NormanB
I know nothing about Clios.........but as you say 'ruptured' and not 'punctured' I would say the fuel tank venting/breathing system had become blocked (or failed) and as the fuel in the tank was used an excessive vacuum within the tank caused tank collapse and rupture.

But as I said I know nowt about Clios.
Thanks for that Norman - it's an important distinction and I confess I don't recall whether the term used by the BIL's garage was ruptured or punctured. I posted about this because I was interested to see if this was a well known problem with the Clio or just a one-off.
Clio petrol tank problem - Civic8
I would be interested to hear what the outcome is as I would have thought the fuel pump would give in before tank collapse.
Clio petrol tank problem - si span
I have recently been notified by one of my customers that he had recieved a recall notification from Renault to have a modification made to the fuel tank on his clio which is a 98 model 1.2, I would assume this is a direct response to problems that are occuring, I would advise you speak to your local dealer and see if they are prepared to help you.

Thanks ery much for that SS - I'll let B-I-L know and see what he wants to do. Is the official recall modification chargeable and, if so, do you know how much ?
Clio petrol tank problem - si span
The letter stated that modifications would be made free of charge.
Thanks for that again SS - very interesting indeed!
Clio petrol tank problem - Civic8
Not saying this is the cause but check out page 2 of this site
maybe usefull.

www.autoshop101.com/forms/h62.pdf