K-jetronic AFM resting position on a Scirocco - Colin J
I am trying to set the resting position for the airflow meter plate on my 1987 Scirocco GTX. I did try to perform this adjustment some months ago, so I can?t remember the exact dimension that was quoted in the Haynes manual (0.6mm??). However, on dismantling the AFM, there was a label attached to the plate, but this quoted a different figure for the setting (1.9mm??). Does anyone know the correct setting for this calibration?

The car produces popping noises from the exhaust on the overrun, so I thought this may be related to the problem.

Cheers,
Colin J
Re: K-jetronic AFM resting position on a Scirocco - Ben Chapman
Popping noises sound like a problem with the over-run cut off valve. Is the car running rich?
BTW do you have an 8 or 16v model?

Ben
Re: K-jetronic AFM resting position on a Scirocco - Colin J
Ben

It's only an 8V. I'm not aware of it having an over-run cut-off valve, I thought these were only used on carbs.

As far as I know it's not running rich, since it returns around 38mpg, but the MOT test will tell me in the next couple of weeks.

Colin J
Re: K-jetronic AFM resting position on a Scirocco - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
As a general rule the plate should lie flush with the top of its register in the venturi or slightly below. The popping on overrun is probably a leak in the exhaust.
Re: K-jetronic AFM resting position on a Scirocco - Colin J
Andrew,

I think you're spot on with the exhaust leak. I had the front pipe replaced + 'O' ring gasket and C-clips recently. It seemed OK for a while but has started to make the pop noise again. I guess that the manifold seating is too pitted to make a long term seal, as the old front pipe was certainly pitted.

Also, do you have any advice on how best to remove the fuel injectors from the inlet manifold. I tried when I had the cylinder head on the bench (new head gasket fitted some months ago) but they wouldn't budge. Maybe it will be easier with a hot engine - might ease the o-rings? Any thoughts?

Colin J
Re: K-jetronic AFM resting position on a Scirocco - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
To remove the injectors I find best way is a long pry bar under thr shoulder of the injector levering against a piece of ply on the cam cover. Sounds brutal but works. Trick is sustained persuasion rather than a hard grunt. Spray the aperture with penetrating oil and be prepared for the hardened O ring to break up once it lets go.
Re: K-jetronic AFM resting position on a Scirocco - Guy Lacey
......and your elbow to make contact with the nearest 90 degree edge causing much pain! Ouch!
Re: K-jetronic AFM resting position on a Scirocco - Ben Chapman
It helps to run the engine up to temperature before trying to remove the injectors as well.
Make sure you get the right seals. Best to go to a VAG dealer, as there are a number of injector variants on the 8v engine.

Ben