Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - PST
This isn't really a "what car shall I buy" thread, really just seeing if I am going to make a spectacle of myself.

I currently drive a 2001 Wobbly 3.0 Omega which for reasons I've posted before I've got to get rid of. None of the cars I've driven in the past(mostly company cars) can I honestly say I've enjoyed driving - particularly the Omega. The one real exception was about 15 years ago when I had a Golf Gti 16V (Mk2 I think) - a revelation to me at that time.

So on the basis I want something enjoyable to drive above fuel economy, space etc I'm looking at the Impreza WRX - recent threads on reliability and good residuals back up that this mightn't be a bad choice.

The main thing that concerns me though is if this is a car that attracts unwanted attention from the police and thieves. The Omega driven by a 42 year old is completely anonymous and that's great - I don't want to get stopped every 5 minutes by the police thinking its stolen nor have to worry about where I park all the time.

Any Impreza drivers out there with any thoughts (I did try Scoobynet forum but unfortunately a lot of them do seem intent on attracting attention to themselves).

Paul
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - Morris Ox
The WRX is a phenomenal piece of kit, with rocket-ship acceleration and cornering ability which should defeat all but the stupid or suicidal. There will be those who say a Mitsubishi Evo Mk 93 or whatever is better, but we are well into on-the-limit hair-splitting territory here.

So point number one is to have considerable respect for the car's abilities. Ordinary it ain't.

As you've already identified, the biggest issue is the attention it gets, with an unfortunate turbo nutter you-know-what image stemming from the activities of secondhand models driven by third-rate drivers. It's up to you to be mature enough to ignore the invitations to take on the basebals caps in over-tyred Novas and Saxos.

As far as the police are concerned, responsible driving shouldn't attract anymore attention than it does in any other car.

The Scooby is a wonderfully enjoyable car if you drive it in the right way, and pretty solid mechanically. Serious reliability issues temnd top crop up only if the car has been ill-treated or (so I was told by someone at Prodrive) if the flat four is taken past 330bhp without appropriate mods.
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - spikeyhead {p}
I've been driving an imprezza awd for the last 18 months as a second car. Never been stopped.

With a thatcham cat 1 alarm and tracker I'm not too concerned about it being stolen, but the aluminium bodyworks picks up car park dents like you wouldn't beleive.

Buy one, they are loads of fun and still practical.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - carayzee
I could have bought a Scooby or an Evo, and nealy did, but couldn't live with the image. Bought an A3 3.2 Quattro instead (which is only a grand more from a broker),the Impreza drives better, but I like stealth. Surprised you didn't get a response on Scoobynet, then again, hardly anyone on there drives one any more. But if you think they have good residuals you're in for a shock.
Plenty of more subtle alternatives, A3, Golf R32, Leon Cupra R, BMW 330, Focus RS, Clio V6 255 (non-subtle) Alfa 147 GTA, second hand M5 etc.
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - Aprilia
From what I've seen, the residuals are not that good....
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - nick
I'd get one and ditch the spoiler.
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - DavidHM
I don't think that £11k at three years, which seems to be more or less the going rate, is too bad on a car that you can pick up new for £18k ish.

That is similar to an Audi A4, which has the halo of being a new model at the time while the also new Impreza of the time is stimatised as ugly and bug eyed.

Of course, it's not going to be worth £5k in ten years, like the old ones are, but it's not like an Omega (which, admittedly, no private person buys new).
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - patently
If you want to and you can afford it without worries, then do it. You only live once and if you never try it then you'll sit in the old folks home one day whinging that you never had any fun and now no-one visits you any more.

What did you want to be when you were 14? I bet it was more along the lines of fighter pilot/F1 driver than sensible family saloon car driver who no-one notices.

Spend the money and kiss goodbye to it. Then, if its not for you, sell it and you have a bonus in your hands and the satisfaction of knowing that you tried it.

As regards the reputation, that will depend more on what you do with it. People are quite happy to hate a rudely driven Omega.
Thanks guys....I feel like that character off the Fast Show - he makes a decision and then his mates say 'what about...' and he changes his mind. There are some other fantastic cars out there but I wonder if they have an element of compromise to them compared to the WRX from a driving viewpoint.

If I could get one without the spoilers I would although the WRX is a little less garish than the STI with it's boot mounted picnic table and gold wheels.

I'm not sure where I got the residual impression from...may have been Parkers online or similar but they were quoting rates similar to BMWs and Mercs. But on a £20K car whether it's 50% or 35% over three years isn't going to make a huge difference (well £1K per year but this isn't necessarily a rational purchase...a Mondeo would be the sensible choice).

I think it might be a case of going for it - as you say Patently, I can always get rid of it...maybe get a good deal on a sensible Legacy estate.

Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - Wilco {P}
Get the 5 door Impreza wagon rather than the saloon - more understated so attracts less attention, handles better due to more weight at the back. Slightly heavier so in theory slightly slower but you'll never notice.

De-badge it, stick a Prodrive performance pack on it and you've got the ultimate Q car - go for it!
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - daveyjp
The bosses wife picked up one of the 5 door estate models for very little money. Only problem they have had is someone nicking the fog lights!
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - Burnout2
On the contrary, I believe the saloon has a wider track than the estate and therefore handles better. It should also enjoy a marginal depreciation advantage.

The only problems I have with the Impreza are lousy fuel economy and Grp19 insurance (less of a problem when you're 42), plus the fact that as a single bloke I don't need a four door saloon. A Civic Type-R meets my need for a cheap performance car better - hence I ordered one - but the Impreza is more refined and has lots more torque. I thought it was a great drive.

I don't think you'll attract much unwelcome attention - certainly not in the standard WRX, which is basically a bog-standard looking Jap saloon with big alloys and a subtle boot spoiler.
My next door neighbour is now on his third. He buys new and doesn't keep them long.
He is moaning that this latest one has dropped a lot in value - he has been offered very little money for it by the dealer and I think its only about 12-18 months old.
Apparently the car has become a victim of its own success and there are too many chasing too few buyers (so the dealer told him). Also I think the whole 'Imprezza' thing is starting to run out of steam - they are popping-up on council estates now.
People are also discovering that if the older ones DO go wrong they cost an absolute fortune to fix.

Still think they are great cars, BTW, its just the financial aspects that make them look a bit suspect.
I think the Omega's already a Group 17 or 18 so hopefully there shouldn't be too much difference in the insurance. I have thought about the 5 door just don't like the looks quite as much as the saloon but it would be the choice for practicality.

There does seem to be a big variation in pricing between private, independent and authorised dealers - more so than some other makes I've looked at. The Subaru dealers (not many of them and in strange rural locations) seem to want very silly money for nearly new.

Maybe there's a deal to be had if what you say is correct Aprilla. I had heard about the high cost of fixing but I'd be looking to buy new and offload after 3 years.
Apparently dealers (if you can find one given there are fewer about) will haggle and something a bit over £18K is attainable.

Or buy an import - Litchfield are advertising EU imports cheaper - and they still come with the 3 year warranty - if you sell at 3 years you'll be covered throughout.

No personal experience of them but they seem highly regarded in the Scooby world.

www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/subaru/wrx.html

Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - jd
Having owned 6 Subaru's including an Impreza Turbo and a Forester Turbo I would say "Go for it".

Don't worry about the running costs - once you realise how much enjoyment you can have from piloting such a great driving machine you will forgive the facts that you will use a bit more petrol, insurance will be a bit more and servicing is required more regularly.

Go for it and enjoy !!

JD

Maybe there's a deal to be had if what you say
is correct Aprilla. I had heard about the high cost of
fixing but I'd be looking to buy new and offload after
3 years.

I was just trying to make the point that potential high repair costs do affect used values - so at the end of the three-year warranty people can be a bit wary of taking one of these cars on. In other words, the residual tends to undergo a bit of a 'step change' at three years; its not a linear decline in value.

A chap I met at one of my sons clubs had a 4-5 year old Imprezza and the centre AWD coupling unit failed. He tried to get a s/hand unit, but there are apparently a few different variations and he ended up going to a dealer. Cost him about £1200 for a fairly small part - I think it put him off the car a bit.

Whatever you do I would haggle hard. Certainly my neighbour has decided to keep his because the dealer trade in value is much lower than he expected (he's just retired and doesn't have as much cash to throw around now).
I'll certainly give the haggling a go. I've seen some new ones around at the car superstores for about £16.5K but I suspect these are imports and with the number of Impreza variations would be wary of these. There seem to be a few independents outside of the dealer channel selling new models for between £17.5 and low 18s. I'll give the brokers a go too.

I'd probably take some form of finance from a dealer so that may be in my favour but I've also got an Omega to PX and I can't imagine that will be in my favour at all.

I've turned decisive again now from all your posts...I'll go for it.

hmmm...now stick with the WRX or is the STi worth the extra?.....
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - jd
PST

Unless you really must have an STi, I would personally stick with the WRX - you get all the performance you need in the real world.

From your posts I would assume you are not going to go out trying to look cool (!), so the WRX in a good colour will be as good as you require - unless you are looking for that extra few tenths of a second !!

I also think the standard WRX might be more saleable, although I never fret about residuals - if you can afford the car you want then get it and enjoy it. If it's worth something after a couple of years then I see that as a bit of a bonus, but for the type of car I think you want, there seems little point worrying.

The other thing about residuals is you hear " Oh, VW's are rock solid", "Merc's are rock solid", but the market changes, new models come out, reputations take a knock (VW at the moment for example), so again - I wouldn't worry about it.

JD
Re Supermarket cars - check where they come from - I think the Morotpoint ones come from Malta & therefore outside the EU (at the moment anyway) - spec will be different (you'll need to fund a Cat 1 Alarm), and they only come with a one year warranty.

Re performance, I've tried a WRX fitted with the Prodrive PPP performance pack - for around £1600 this boots torque up to STi levels (although bhp still lags)and you keep your warranty intact ans its an officially approved mod - the improved driveability plus the softer (than STi setup) suspension makes it the best proposition over UK roads in my humble opinion...

Get along to a few dealers - some have cars with and without PPP so you can see/feel the difference.

OK - WRX it is then in a quiet colour - and I'll have a look at the Prodrive performance pack too.

Is this Prodrive the same one that you see when heading up the M40 near-ish to Banbury? Are they owned by Subaru or are they analogous to AMG and the like - i.e. an independent tuning company.
Yep - they're in Banbury. Independent from Subaru (they do work for others) but obviously a close connection in developing the rally cars.

PPP is expensive for what it is (basically an ECU remap and revised exhaust) but is the only Subaru approved performance mod so you keep the warranty intact which given potential costs if things do go wrong, I would consider important.

Loads of other ways to upgrade, all covered on Scoobynet in vast detail. However if I can persuade Mrs AD, a WRX with PPP will be the way ahead for me.

PS Met Silver is the colour - lower profile than the rally-car blue....
Sorry meant to include this link to Prodrive re PPP (pdf file)

www.prodrive.com/uploads/03MY%20WRX%20PPP.pdf

Opinion seems to be that you don't need to upgrade to 18" wheels as advised in the material.....just trying to part you with more money presumably.

Good luck whatever you do - post back if/when you get one...
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - carayzee
PPP is well over-priced IMO. Run the thing in then see if you need more power. Don't see the point in the STi, nearly Evo money, and the Evo at that level IS the better car.
Definately silver in colour for stealth. I'd definitely import one if keeping for 3 years. As mentioned Litchfield are highly regarded, a lot of folks also seem to get them direct from a dealer in Holland, excellent service apparently, lift from the airport, bunch of flowers for the Mrs etc. around £16,500 iirc. Get back on Scoobynet for an answer.
Don't touch the Motorpoint cars, they are Cyprus cars with no EU warranty.
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - Leon on Derv
Had one and sold it - one of my few regrets in life.... Have asked the individual who now owns her to give me first offer when he is selling her on.

The WRX is a serious motor as are the Evos. If you are a car operator as opposed to a driver I would leave it. If you enjoy performance and have a few quid to burn on some fun go for it.

There are loads of these motors about today - so be choosy. If buying privately and you have any doubts - just don't. I would always be wary of any of these motors which look like they have been modded by the boy racer. If the owner claims the car is pushing out over 300BHP, examine closely who did the mods. Unless it was Prodrive or someone dealing in race prepping these motors I would walk away. Also avoid any bearing max power stickers.

The upgrade to STI brakes is well worth the money. The sensible modders will opt for Gp N competiton proven components. I opted for ECU Remapping Gp N gearbox (expensive but worth it if you enjoy acceleration more than speed!), Stainless exhaust, Gp N Homologated suspension, STI brakes with Tar-Ox ceramic discs, Replacement steel braided hoses and various other minor mods. A lot of the work done by a prodrive engineer in his own time. Car certified to be putting down 360BHP.

Expensive and needless to say you dont get it back in the re-sale. If you drive her on, you could be looking at servicing every 3,000 Miles, and you will be doing well to get into the low 20's for MPG.

The car as is, is a piece of purist engineering, the masses of power on tap demands respect, they handle superbly once you learn to trust the AWD. If you want to put your motor on the limit, there are track days which are worth it, just to give the motor a good shakedown. if you can't get into the WRX league dont be tempted to go for a normally aspirated 2.0 sport. It just doesnt have the power to bring such a stiff chassis to life.

If you want individuality go for a type 22B if you can find one.

For some useful info and to meet some great people visit www.sidc.co.uk - Subaru Impreza Drivers Club. I am not in any way affiliated with the running of this organisation.

one last thing - garage it. The organised element that take motors like this will simply call to your home and demand the keys.

Leon
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - Leon on Derv
Two other things -

Use only Super unleaded.

If you do a bit of serious motoring, have a turbo timer fitted. It takes a bit of getting used to but may help you prolong the engine / turbos useful life if you are not used to allowing things to cool before switching off.

Leon
Well, I've done it....stuck a deposit on a new WRX today.

The test drive swung it - everything seemed taught, responsive with great brakes and superb gearchange. A short spell on a dual carriageway revealed a suprisingly quiet ride too at 70mph. The steering was a little lighter than I was expecting but incredibly accurate.

Got a good PX on the Omega (£8K) and a bit off the WRX list and they'll hold the PX value (which drops £400 per month according to Glass's) until March 1st so I can get an 04 plate.

And finally, what a pleasant surprise with Subaru dealers. I visited 4 of them - I know I was dealing with the sales side - but all were well informed, not pushy and ready to deal. The one I signed with even rolled out a brand new WRX from the showroom (2 miles on the clock and involved shuffling 5 other cars) to give me the test drive.

Thanks for the comments above - I suspect I'll enjoy it but will let you know.

Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - bradgate
Congratulations, PST.

You have made the right decision and won't regret it.

On the subject of unwanted attention, perhaps my experience will be reassuring.

I own a W reg Impreza Turbo (i.e. one of the last 'classic' shape). The car is Silver, completely standard and unmodified. It looks tasteful and understated and in the 6 months I have owned it has attracted no unwanted attention whatsoever. The kids in modified Novas ignore me, and I certainly ignore them. I drive sensibly, NEVER aggressively and always obseve speed limits in built-up areas (I am fortunate to both live and work in semi-rural areas, so finding B roads on which i can safely enjoy my toy isn't a problem for me). Consequently, I retain a clean licence and have never been stopped by the police while driving the Impreza.

Enjoy it, and welcome to the club.
Thanks Bradgate

I've gone for silver - as you say a bit more understated than the blue and easier to keep clean. On the test drive I couldn't go above 4000rpm as it was a new engine but even keeping well within speed limits on NSL roads it was an absolute joy to drive.

Bartycrouch - the STi as you probably know is the performance model above the WRX. It has approximately 40bhp more plus more torque but lots of revisions to the suspension (inverted dampers?), light alloy suspension components, uprated brakes, and a 6-speed box.

The WRX was pretty flat but from what I hear the STi is a much firmer ride with even flatter cornering. The consensus from the few reviews I've seen is that the WRX gives the best compromise for day to day driving whereas the STi is the better performance car.

Paul
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - bartycrouch
Is the STI any better than the WRX when it comes to body roll? I don't mind a bit of discomfort in a sports car as long as corners as flatly as possible.
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - Arty
In Oz Rexes are a dime a dozen. Try and find yourself a Nissan Skyline.
Arty - don't think I'd get a Skyline on my budget and aren't you then moving into the servicing at every 5000 miles and 150 mile range on one tank type scenario (slight exaggeration, I know).

The reason for the WRX is that it still makes reasonable sense as a family car and everyday commutomobile - not sure the likes of the Skylines and Evos do even though I think they're very desirable.
PST

Congratulations - I'm envious! Must leave the brochures out again in my none too subtle attempt to woo she who controls the purse strings.

Top colour choice as well. Post back here with impressions once you've run it in!!
Thanks AD

I didn't actually woo SWCTPS - but I'm trying to bring her round by replacing her ageing Scenic with a Fiat Doblo...she thinks I'm trying to make her look ridiculous :)

And if you fancy getting into 'sad level of detail' mode - I found some interesting bits on the Subaru Global site...the design behind all their mechanical bits and some amusing animated diagrams.

www.subaru-global.com/about/parts/index.html

Paul
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - Arty
I was going to advise you to get a Falcon XR6 Turbo; 4dr sports car in the same price bracket, but that doesn't exist in Europe.

Rather unfortunate.
Impreza WRX - shall I, shan't I - Stargazer {P}
Arty,
Many cars found in Oz are not found in the UK which in some cases is a good thing...fuel is nearly 2.5 times the price so consumption figures are a very big deal also big cars like the Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore simpley will not fit well on our roads and garages and driveways.
Mind you I would not call the Falcon XR6 a sports car....more an agricultural muscle car! The handling of the big Fords has never been a strong point and in noway compares to the Subaru.
regards

Ian L.