Do spoilers work - Civic8
I have had one or two questions regarding do spoilers work.I gather on small cars that.they don`t and are purely there for looks.in some cases are there to help the cars fuel economy if it so needs it.
My question is if a spoiler is installed upside down will it cause the car to lift off the road.Not litteraly but take the weight off the road wheel.so causing a loss of traction on rear wheels.I am no expert on spoilers.
Do spoilers work - Rob C
Spoilers create a downward force which is used the press the rear wheels into the tarmac thus increasing traction through fast corners, i.e. very fast 100mph plus, thus keeping the driving wheels driving.

Not much use on the majority of modern road cars, being FWD and of course legally restricted to 60mph on a good A-road (the sort of road that would include fast corners where one could lose the back end at high speed)

My own Supra has a huge spoiler but its shape and profile is quite rounded, so I suspect it provides no aerodymanic benefit. Look at the spoilers on F1 cars to see the real thing.

I also suspect the spoilers used on BTCC cars are more cosmetic than useful, and they look quite like the sort of thing available to boy racers, available thru sponsors Halfords.
I await to be shot down on that one though.
Do spoilers work - smokie
Mech - if you are thinking of my reply to a post in discussion, that was purely tongue in cheek. The guy was talking about his 16" alloys etc and poor grip at speed.

However, there must become a point where a spoiler becomes a wing, and generates uplift. Or maybe an inverted spoiler would have the same effect. I don't know, aeronautics is not my field.

A few years back at Le Mans, Mercedes had a problem with flying cars. There was a smallish hump in the Mulsanne straight which the cars would reach at ??180mph. Peter Dumbrecht was the last Mercedes driver to take this hump - his car flipped through the air, doing (from memory) 540 degree spin, and his fall was broken only by trackside trees. However, this was (I think) due to the design of the underside of the car, rather than the effect of spoilers. His was the third Mercedes to go off in similar circs, before MB withdrew from the race. The sequence can ben seen briefly in the opening sequence of Question of Sport.

Finally, I heard that spoilers might not always be performing the task you think they might - it must be assumed that they add to downforce, whereas in road cars they are sometimes introduced solely to reduce aerodynamic noise, which is rather more "cosmetic" than giving greater grip.
Do spoilers work - Marcos{P}
Spoilers do work, otherwise no one would have bothered to invent them.
They create downforce as a wing on a plane would but the big thing now is using the underneath of a car as a kind of big sucker. This basically creates the effects of huge amounts of suction so the car literally sucks itself to the ground. The big problem here is, as noted above, when a car that is travelling at high speed suddenly loses that suction due to a jump etc it is in big trouble as Mercedes found at Le Mans.
At Sindlefingen in Germany ( Mercedes )they have a huge tour bus that goes round a track and used to go upside down on a small section of looped track to show the effects of this downforce.
As for spoilers on cars I tend to think that they are a waste of time. Some of the fastest cars on the road do not have spoilers, Merc E55, Ferrari 550 and so on.
Do spoilers work - Ian (Cape Town)
BMW 318i and 323i (80s models) One with 'spoiler' on back, one without. Same weather conditions, same 1000km journey, same roads, same speeds, but one week apart.

323i (with spoiler) needed the back lights and number plate cleaned of thick dust coating at every stop. 318 (without) didn't.

Do spoilers work - nick
I remember an article about this in a magazine many years ago. Some research was done and the outcome was that spoilers had no significant effect on roadholding under about 90mph. Some spoilers actually slowed the car down due to extra drag, especially diy ones where the design is based more on looks than function.
I suspect they are fitted to road cars by manufacturers as penile extentions to make owners feel more like racing and rally drivers and to justify a higher price tag.
The main thing stopping me buying an Impreza (apart from lack of funds!) is the spoiler. I wish they were a delete option.
Do spoilers work - RichardW
Audi TT required an aerodynamic redesign to stop the rar lifting off the road at 100 mph plus - the only visible difference is a small lip across the back, although I think they changed the rear suspension as well.

I also STR that some supercar (Lambo?) was orignally designed without spoiler, but customers wanted one, so the engineers designed one that had no aerodynamic effect, but kept the customers happy!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Do spoilers work - Steve S
Richard,

I think the TT spoiler was largely cosmetic to help identify cars that had the necessary set up adjustments. Spoilt the design IMO.

It may be my memory fading but didn't the problems only occur at exceptionally high speeds with throttle lift-off on cornering? As if such treatment wouldn't upset most cars.

Spoilers just add weight and a bit of drag to road cars - but they look nice to some.

Do spoilers work - Civic8
Hi smokie.I have always found it to be an interesting subject

and still is.But I did wonder on those self fitting ones that were fitted upside down,Purely because they look good
(matter of opinion)Whether in windy conditions it may upset the handling of the car even at lowish speed ie 60/70 ish.
Bearing in mind the design is for the fin/fins to push down the rear of car.The underside of the fin is designed for free air flow.Which to me says one fitted upside upside down.Would in windy conditions like today may tend to lift the rear.As has been said most are there for the looks.Which is fair enough.
I have to admitt the posts are interesting reading.

So it wasn`t just what you said.Just something I have always
wondered about.Thanks for the input
Do spoilers work - J Bonington Jagworth
I think this one does... :-)

www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/plymouth-superbir...l
Do spoilers work - OldPeculiar
Spoilers can add a bit to the performance of the car - but then blue LED's in the washer jets and under the drivers door can also make the car more visable at night (tounge firmly in cheek)
Do spoilers work - Wilco {P}
Very useful if they provide a flat surface - for balancing briefcase, shopping, cup of tea etc.
Do spoilers work - peterb
A Renaul salesman once told me that spoilers are really useful...... for showing you where the back of the car is when parking!
Do spoilers work - Garethj
The theory of spoilers is sound, but I can't say if all the different ones fitted actually work!

When a car drives along at speed, the fact that the air travels faster over the top than under the chassis means that the pressure above the car is lower and creates lift (just like an aircraft wing).

Theoretical case: Imagine a car weighing 1000kg, and because lift increases with speed you might find that there is 300kg of lift at 100mph. Factor in a crosswind (where the air flows faster over the top than under the chassis again) and there might be another 100kg of lift. Your car then only "weighs" 600kg, the suspension might be unloaded where it doesn't give the best stability and you might come across some undulations on the motorway feel the suspension compress as you go hit the bump and then.....oh dear! You weren't planning on changing lanes at all were you?

That's the theory, it works to a greater or lesser degree depending on the aerodynamics of the car, its suspension and its design speed. And the stylist usually has a go too!

Gareth
Do spoilers work - PoloGirl
The thing that looks like a shark fin on the back of new BMWs - what's that for? Does it actually make a difference?

Do spoilers work - BazzaBear {P}
The thing that looks like a shark fin on the back
of new BMWs - what's that for? Does it actually make
a difference?

It's an aerial, but it looks cooler. Not sure that it's meant to have any aerodynamical effect.
Oh, just thought of another benefit - it won't get ripped off by an automatic carwash.
Sorry for all the posts in a row, but I forgot to add the word 'alledgedly' to this sentence:

It's an aerial, but it looks cooler.
Do spoilers work - Chad.R
PG,
IIRC the "Shark fin" thingy is the antenna for the radio/SatNav/telephone etc. I supposed it is designed with aerodynamics in mind - to cause minimal drag.

Chad.
When a car drives along at speed, the fact that the
air travels faster over the top than under the chassis means
that the pressure above the car is lower and creates lift
(just like an aircraft wing).

Not true. At least, not for a correctly designed and fitted spoiler.
The purpose of a spoiler on a car is to be an inverted aerofoil. That is, do exactly the opposite of an aircraft wing, and force the car down into the ground, not provide lift. Thereby 'sticking' the car to the road better.
As has been mentioned before, whether they're of any benefit at the speeds road cars attain is arguable.
Do spoilers work - Garethj
Not true. At least, not for a correctly designed and fitted
spoiler.

No, this is for a whole car, not just a spoiler! Sorry it wasn't clear.

Gareth
Not true. At least, not for a correctly designed and fitted
>> spoiler.
No, this is for a whole car, not just a spoiler!
Sorry it wasn't clear.
Gareth

Oh right, sorry Gareth, I see your point now: a fast moving car generates unwanted lift, and a spoiler (theoretically) negates this.
Course da spoilers work, man. Dey make my ride luk wikeeed. ;)
Do spoilers work? - peterb
Yes. They identify which cars the traffic police should keep a close eye on.....
Do spoilers work? - patently
The problem lies in making a direct comparison between the same car with and without, something we in the BR are going to find difficult.

What is interesting was that in the previous model 5 series, the \"sport\" version had redesigned front aerodynamics and a rear lip spoiler on the boot lid. The latter could be deleted on request, suggesting that it had little if any effect.

Whether the front spoiler had an effect is difficult to say. However, I do remember that one of my early impressions of my 530i Sport was that, at speed, the steering response was much more precise than the unspoilered 323i that preceded it. That is by no means conclusive but would suggest that there is some effect.

Interestingly (well, maybe), Porsche provide a pop-up spoiler on the 911 Carrera models that only extends above 75mph \"when needed\" and retracts at other times, allegedly to maintain the correct aesthetic effect. You can replace it with a fixed version but you can\'t delete it.

Of course, as it only extends above 75mph, we won\'t see any extended 911 spoilers in this country ;-)
Porsche provide a p***** spoiler

This originally read p o p - u p but was not intended to refer to the recent activities of the Volvo advertising department so I feel happy that in re-instating it I will not cause offence!

{Have now edited the omited pop-up word that the swearfilter got hold of. DD}
Do spoilers work? - Maz
I understand that the spoiler was 'invented' by Colin Chapman of Lotus fame. Looking out of the window of an aeroplane, he thought of turning it upside down to create downforce instead of lift.

I think front spoilers/air splitters definitely work at reasonable speeds as they stop air getting under the car and lifting it up. The Lotus Elise even has a totally flat underside so that air doesn't 'build up' underneath.

Rear spoilers are a mixed bag. I'm in no doubt that on nearly any racing car you care to mention they do work. On many road cars they don't do much. Either because they're designed for show or the drivers never get to situations where a spoiler's called for.

On others, such as the 911 and yes the TT, they do increase downforce and rear wheel traction. To think that you can make a spoiler for your Nova or whatever is laughable. Unless these chaps have got wind tunnels and have mastered aerodynamic/ suspension set ups. And if that were the case, they'd be able to walk wthout dragging their knuckles.

Do spoilers work? - BobbyG
I remember a friend had a booted Rover 800 with a huge factory fit spoiler on the bootlid. Problem was that the boot struts literally couldn't support it so everytime he went into the boot, he had to get someone else to hold it open for him!
Which may say more about Rover (in those days) than spoilers?

Of course, if he drove off the massive downforce presumably slammed the boot shut for him?
Do spoilers work? - malteser
Well, they sure work for those who manufacture them. ££££££!!
"Rude, crude and socially unacceptable"
Do spoilers work? - Ian (Cape Town)
Big business indeed - especially amongst our local cap-on-backwards brigade. For more, look here:
www.autostyle.co.za/hispeed/hispeed_html/other_15....m
Do spoilers work? - henry k
Interestingly (well, maybe), Porsche provide a pop-up spoiler on the 911
Carrera models that only extends above 75mph \"when needed\" and retracts
Of course, as it only extends above 75mph, we won\'t see
any extended 911 spoilers in this country ;-)

If I recall correctly Porche recalibrated the spoiler lift system so that it deployed at under 70 mph just for the UK market so that one could pose within the law.
I have certainly seen them deployed at legal speeds.
Do spoilers work? - BazzaBear {P}
>>
>> Interestingly (well, maybe), Porsche provide a pop-up spoiler on the
>> Carrera models that only extends above 75mph \"when needed\" and
retracts
>> Of course, as it only extends above 75mph, we won\'t
see
>> any extended 911 spoilers in this country ;-)
>>
If I recall correctly Porche recalibrated the spoiler lift system so
that it deployed at under 70 mph just for the UK
market so that one could pose within the law.

IIRC, there\'s actually a button in the cockpit for deploying it, not too obviously posy then...
Do spoilers work? - Mr Tickle
Changing course slightly, does anyone know the purpose of wiper spoilers? Do they force the wiper against the screen, thus making clear water more effectively or do they improve the car's aerodynamics? I notice that spolier wiper blades cost more than standard blades of the same size; could it be that their real purpose is to make more money for manufacturers?
Do spoilers work? - Marcos{P}
They are there just to push the wipers onto the screen as at speed they have a tendancy to lift.
Do spoilers work? - Civic8
I think you mean the spoiler`s for window wipers.if put on the wrong way round will lift wipers away from screen.Hence your prob? correct me if wrong.?
If I recall correctly Porche recalibrated the spoiler lift system so
that it deployed at under 70 mph just for the UK
market so that one could pose within the law.

The advice from dealers and in the owner's handbook is that it goes up at 75. Once up, it only comes down once you slow to 40 or so, thus there is a good chance of seeing them deployed at legal speeds.

Its just a bit of an obvious giveaway that you've been over 75, which is (I suspect) why:
there's actually a button in the cockpit for deploying it,

the problem being that the button concerned is in the footwell so its a bit difficult to claim that it got knocked accidentally (officer)
Do spoilers work? - Brill {P}
I also thought that they spoiled or disturbed the air behind the car in an attempt to break the vacuum effect of the void behind the boot. Thereby also reducing drag, whereas the downforce benefits are negligible given the (reltively) slow speed, unlike an F1 car.

Stu.
Do spoilers work? - Colin M
Technically the device on cars is an aerofoil (inverted to provide downward force at speed). The \"spoilers\" on an aircraft are designed to be deployed on touchdown to \"spoil\" lift from the wing. Immediately on touchdown, a plane is typically still travelling at some margin above it\'s minimum flying speed so the wing is still developing substantial lift.

To decelerate the aircraft and improve traction with the runway, the spoilers pop up destroying the aerodynamics of the wing thus killing the lift.

> Porsche .. there\'s actually a button in the cockpit for deploying it, not too obviously posy then...

I was told by the dealer that was for cleaning purposes. As it is a small button tucked away in the footwell, I wouldn\'t like to have risked deploying it for pose value!

Do spoilers work? - disco2andy
Older 911s ie aircooled up to 1997 have the spoiler popup at about 55mph and only retract at about 4mph, as well as providing stability at speed it increases airflow round the engine to aid cooling, the handbook advises not to drive over 60mph if the spoiler fails to come up to avoid overheating the engine. The newer cars being watercooled only need the spoiler for stability purposes.

Andy
Do spoilers work? - Ian (Cape Town)
Thnx Brill - that would explain the whirling dust cloud effect and the filthy light clusters!
Do spoilers work? - matt35 {P}
My wifes' last Matiz did not have a spoiler - the current one has a spoiler.
I can't honestly say it affects the handling :)

Matt35.
Do spoilers work? - smokie
Sometimes they perform a task other than providing grip. Didn't the original jelly mould Sierra get some aerodynamic bits to prevent lateral movement in gusting wind? Or it can reduce wind noise. So you wouldn't ALWAYS notice a difference.
Do spoilers work? - owen
You're right smokie, early models, due to their aerodynamic shape, were prone to becoming unstable in crosswinds. Small strips were fitted i think down the sides of the rear window, which had the effect of "spoiling" the airflow in a cross wind, preventing the generation of lift.

Also, the Rover 25 has a small spoiler on the top of the rear window, as apparently the angle of the tailgate is the optimum angle to maximise drag - the spoiler effectively changes this angle. Can't imagine it makes a huge difference in performance or fuel consumption, but a favourable Cd value will look better in the adverts!
Do spoilers work? - henry k
You're right smokie, early models, due to their aerodynamic shape, were prone to becoming unstable in crosswinds.

>>Small strips were fitted I think down the sides of the rear window, which had
the effect of "spoiling" the airflow in a cross wind, preventing the generation of lift.

My Sierra Sapphire has said strips (strakes?) fitted. They are a real pain when cleaning the car. Small leaves get trapped behind them and turn into compost unless regularly blasted out.
I have no idea if they aid the aerodynamics as I do not explore
the limits especially with 165 tyres.