VW Golf Mk IV - alpeshxp
Am considering buying a Mk IV Golf and need some advice, seen a Euro import VW Golf Mk IV 1.9TDi PD (130PS) 5dr with tiptronic transmission. This model isnt sold in the UK but the is being sold NEW by a well known car super market for £15,500.

It is a sports model with 16inch alloys met paint climate control sports suspension, sports steering wheel and instrument dials. However it comes without any radio / cd player.

My main worry is that they dont allow you to test drive and I havent seem car of similar spec ie diesel tiptronic in a sports model at any VW dealer so dont know what it drives like. Its advertised as a 130PS(old bhp)so should have some oomph but not sure what effect the tiptronic transmission will have. Im not interested in a manual at this price.

ANY ONE DRIVEN ONE OR KNOW HOW THEY PERFORM AND WHAT PROBLEMS IF ANY WILL I HAVE RE INSURANCE AND SERVICING

Other minor question is Ive been offered a very high mileage 120,000 !!! (mostly on motorway) Y reg 2litre Golf Mk IV GTi with one company owner, full service history and good interior / exterior condition for £6500.

ANY ADVICE ON WHETHER THIS REPRESENTS A GOOD BUY ? WHAT ARE THE DANGERS, IF ANY, OF A VW GOLF WITH SUCH HIGH MILEAGE COVERED IN SUCH SHORT SPAN OF TIME (APPROX 2.75yrs. Outside it looks great but Ive yet to see how it drives

Any advice would be appreciated
VW Golf Mk IV - Robble
\"WHAT ARE THE DANGERS, IF ANY, OF A VW GOLF WITH SUCH HIGH MILEAGE COVERED IN SUCH SHORT SPAN OF TIME (APPROX 2.75yrs.\"

A lot fewer dangers than one with very low mileage that has done lots of short trips around town!
The essential thing to look for is that the car has a full service history. Make sure the oil changes have been done regularly at the specified intervals. This is even more important on a turbo-diesel car as the engine pumps soot into the oil. The soot particles will eventually knacker the turbo if it is not changed when it should be and that will be expensive!
VW Golf Mk IV - Mark (RLBS)
>>they dont allow you to test drive

Bit of a high risk strategy. You could be in the position where the car is fine, but simply not to your taste in performance or behaviour.

Have you at least driven something with tiptronic ?
VW Golf Mk IV - carlh
Consider the warranty period, a UK sourced car is three years. No radio/cassette/CD ? which is worth a couple of hundred quid. Golf 4 is currently in roll out so, unless it's vital you have Tiptronic, you are likely to get a pretty good deal from your local dealer. Don't always assume the import company's will be cheaper than a UK dealer.
VW Golf Mk IV - Malcolm_L
Golf IV with the 130 PDI lump does have lots of oomph, shame about the handling though.
The car is too heavy on the front and understeers badly.

Depreciation on a non-standard Golf IV is going to be higher.

There are better cars out there for £15k, tiptronic or not.
VW Golf Mk IV - bertj
For some reason auto diesel VW's (I know tiptronics aren't fully automatic) have very poor fuel consumption compared to manuals. I would have thought that, with a bit of haggling, you could get near your price from a VW dealer for a 'proper' 130bhp Golf. Consider also that Mk 1V's are now regarded as 'old' models that dealers will be glad to get rid of. However, given VW's reliablity record of late I would agree with another member that there are an awful lot of other make good cars out there for £15k.
VW Golf Mk IV - Peter D
Are you sure you can get the tiptronic in RHD as an import. Regards Peter
VW Golf Mk IV - akr
Don't do it. It'll be rubbish with loads of faults and dealers who are too busy/useless to fix it. Go and buy an Avensis or at least something that you know will be more reliable. I talk from experience.
VW Golf Mk IV - carlh
I bought a new Golf Mk4 in March 02. It has not had a single fault and for £15K, despite what you may be told, you will find it difficult to get another car with the interior quality of the Golf. My Golf has had two services at the VW dealer and I had no problems their either. Yes, Golf 4 has had some problems but you could find some fault with almost every other model on the road.
VW Golf Mk IV - merlin
I was a great Golf fan. I had a mk2 Golf for 10 years and 170k miles with few problems, however today I would not recommend either of the mk4's you are thinking about. The mk4 Golf is overpriced for what you get. Read some of the forums about Golf problems - there have been many. Even the interior quality isn't all it's cracked up. I had a test drive in a 130 bhp diesel a couple of years ago. It had interior rattles and squeaks and that was a new car. The only plus point I could see is retained value but even that is about to be hit with the introduction of the mk5. Personally I would go for something Japanese like a Mazda, Toyota or Nissan. I bought a secondhand Mazda 626 diesel last year with 60k miles. No problems yet, over 50mpg and only £5k.
VW Golf Mk IV - Malcolm_L
I drive a 2001 Passat which hasn't let me down but I've been less than fortunate with incidents.

A dealer who I can't mention who left hoses disconnected and didn't follow the service routine (whilst checking the box to
say they did).
A new turbo.
Another dealer who incorrectly fitted the replacement pollen filter which left me with 50mm of water in the passenger footwell.
New climate control (faulty control panel).
New boot release mechanism.
A heavy clonking sound from the front which still hasn't been
rectified after 3 attemps and for which VW will require the
car for 4 days.
(Their argument was that although they can't find the problem it's nothing to worry about - my counter-argument was if you don't know what it is, how do you it isn't a problem?)

My father owns a Golf MK4 which has been fine, however being retired he does less than half my annual mileage.

Better dealer service would make me happier as the car is basically fine, IMHO the dealers take the money and don't give good service, if you paid their rates to any tradesmen you'd expect a bludy good job!

Still think that there are better cars for 15k, it does depend on what you want out of a car though.