noise on mk3 Golf 1.8 - M1ke
I am after a bit of knowledge for a problem that has reared its ugly head.

My 95 Golf 1.8 (SOHC Single point injection *I believe*) is making a worrying noise from the alternater/water pump area. It sounds more towards the engine block (ie waterpump)than the alternater. The noise from cold is a scrunching noise about 3 times a second on tickover, however when warmed it up sounds more like a rattle (eg couple of stones in a tin can). It started yesterday and having driven it home and another mile to the garage this morning it has gotten significantly worse.

Normally I would just send it to the garage to diagnose and fix as although reasonably competent I am nowhere near expert level, however the garage can't do anything until 5th January, unfortunately I need the car as I am on-call for work.

Popped it down the garage just to get an opinion this morning and they were mentioning either waterpump or pretensioner (timing belt pretensioner I assume). Obviously I am currently not driving it anywhere but need to try and diagnose it myself and pray that the local VW garage has the parts I will need. Probably worth mentioning that the water pump was replaced about 16,000 miles ago.

My plan is to:

Remove the belt that goes around the water pump and alternater, start engine. If noise still there then rule out both alternater and water pump, if noise goes then do some further playing with first the waterpump then the alternater.

Is there anything else that this could reasonably be? If it does turn out to be the "pretensioner" is this a relatively simple job or is it best leaving to the pro's? Any advice on diagnosing? Any problems I should be wary of?

Any advice gratefully recieved and I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very merry Christmas!

Mike
noise on mk3 Golf 1.8 - Peter D
Use a long screw driver and rest it on the possible offending part, Alternator etc and rest your ear on the handle. This noise could he the belt itself and is stopped by squiring wd40 on the steering pump pulley surface. If it stops get a new belt and change it.
If it turnes out to be the tensioner then ensure line up the pulley markings and mark the belt and sprockets so you are doubley sure the belt has not jumped. Did it have a new belt with the waterpump change. if not and depending on the mileage I would be tempted to change it with the tensioner. You can listen to the tension bearing with a screww driven but be very careful as a slip here could end up with the screw driver stuch in the cam belt Regards Peter