Volvo D5 pop-up - GrumpyOldGit
Please can that Volvo ad be changed? It\'s right in the way and when you click \'close\' it doesn\'t go away, it just compacts a bit.

SORRY TO INTRUDE ON YOUR POSTING, GRUMPY, BUT IT\'S THE BEST WAY TO GET THE MESSAGE OVER QUICKLY AND STOP PEOPLE STARTING OTHER UNNECESSARY THREADS.

THE ANSWER, AS PROVIDED BY NO DOSH, IS TO HIT KEY F5 TO REFRESH YOUR SCREEN. YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO DO THIS TWICE TO LOSE THE POP-UP.

HJ
Volvo D5 pop-up - 20w50
and freezes my computer!
Volvo D5 pop-up - No Do$h
Comments have been sent to HJ regarding this ad. He will be speaking to the agency responsible to try and remedy the problems that have been encountered.

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk

Update: If you click on any of the backroom links you shouldn\'t see the ad on the next page. Please do consider having a click on the ad if you think you may be in the market for any of Volvo\'s product.
Volvo D5 pop-up - L'escargot
If it crashes a computer then it probably conflicts with some
software the owner of the computer has uploaded to his computer.
This might happen with some of the older or flakier pop-up
killers.
HJ

I hope you're not suggesting that any of us squeaky-clean Backroomers might have gone and installed a pop-up killer! Shame on you. We all love pop-ups, don't we guys and gals?
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Volvo D5 pop-up - patently
Perhaps we could all agree on a day when we stop posting and instead click on every ad we can see on HJ's site to keep the numbers (and the site) up?
Volvo D5 pop-up - No Do$h
You never know, you may actually find something that you want to buy?
Volvo D5 pop-up - David Horn
Honestjohn - do you know how much bandwidth (in GB) per month the site uses? You might find it easier to offload some heavy images onto certain servers with free space available - I have 250GB/month on my web server I never use. That may cut down the bills somewhat.
Volvo D5 pop-up - flatfour
Thanks HJ, Happy Christmas, you are the motorists white Knight
"Pop Up" Obscures Text - rg
Mr Moderator,

Sure you need pop-ups to "fund the site". You have made this quite clear before now.

But a Volvo one has just "popped up" and obscured some text on the "battery charger" posting.

It's surely time to review this stuff when an advert makes a posting unreadable?

rg
"Pop Up" Obscures Text - ajsdoc
Thank God someone's said it! I have been holding off to avoid the usual ticking off regarding complaining about pop-ups. This one completely covers text and as far as I can work out cannot be made to disappear.

I have no complaint about other adverts etc. etc. but this one is that annoying it would make me less likely to buy a Volvo! There must be a better way.

Andy.
"Pop Up" Obscures Text - Civic8
I noticed even the pop up killer won`t work on that one.But is annoying
...and as some kind of joke, it's now popped up and over my first posting. And now obscures...xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

...about that much....

....arrgghhh...

Please take it off...it's ridiculous!

rg
...maybe we can have a "click counter" counting down to when it goes away....

:-))

rg
d5 pop up - Martin Devon
I am trying to read other matter on this site, namely road tests etc. and that annoying ad wont go away and blocks out text even when close is selected. Is this beyond the admin crew or whoever to sort it please.

Regards.
d5 pop up - Rob the Bus {P}
Martin,

I am mindful of the fact that it is Christmas Eve, so peace and goodwill to all men and all that.

I am also very mindful of the fact that I am not a moderator.

But, I do wish that people would read the 'Welcome' notice on the Announcements thread, and also the small print every now and then. This would save the mods an awful lot of unnecessary work.

As has been explained countless times, the site has to have the pop-ups otherwise there would be no site at all. Simple economics.

Sorry if it seems like I'm having a go at you personally, Martin - I'm not.

Merry Christmas to you all,

Rob
d5 pop up - Rob the Bus {P}
Ooops {finds himself blushing}

I hadn't noticed the thread by GrumpyOldGit about this matter.

Sorry if I've trodden on any toes here...

{slopes off whistling casually to himself hoping no-one notices}

Cheers

Rob
d5 pop up - Martin Devon
Dear RTB,

Got no probs with anybody having an earn and i am fully conversant with the reasons for these pop ups, ads or whatever you wish to call them, but my undersatnding of the situation is that if you close they actually go away! As I was trying to read a road test, of all things a volvo one the ad was obscuring the text which made things impossible. I don't think I'm being unreasonable. NOW, I'm going to get another large Scotch and I WILL be back. Peace on, (no sorry), TO, you all.

Christmas Regards.
d5 pop up - rg
Martin,

In between slugs of Scotch, click on the ad., please.

It's as if we are paying some kind of PacMan game:- click on the target until it sinks.

Christmas Greetings to all.

rg

(stone cold sober)

:-((
d5 pop up - rustbucket
As previously stated popups are required to fund the site,but they are counter productive if they annoy so many viewers in this way.Iam sure even Volvo must realise this and would want this problem addressed.

rustbucket
Volvo D5 pop-up - Martin Devon
Hello all. This is Martin Devon becoming a Grumpy Old Git, having just finished my breakfast of Smoked Salmon, Scrambled egg and Champagne! No not Cava.

On a more serious note, I would rather pay for this superb site than to tolerate the likes of the Volvo advert. It is as simple as that. It is unprofessional and bludy intrusive. Say no more, (for now), as SWMBO says the veg needs 'doing' before I am allowed to open the Sherry!

Very Best Regards to everybody, ENJOY.
Volvo D5 pop-up - Mark (RLBS)
You wil notice that I am not moderating this thread. I am unable to defend this pop-up.

HJ is trying to resolve it with the advertisers, there is nothing else I can add.

Happy christmas one and all.

Mark.
Volvo D5 pop-up - billy25
merry chrimbo all,

don't know if HJ's managed to sort this ad or not, but i've just discovered that it will close straight away if you click on the TINY close box at the bottom of the ad when it first pop's up in strip form!!

billy.