Motoring magazines - hillman
I observed a boy of about eight years of age trashing the magazine display in the local Tesco. This was in view of an assistant who, sensible lad, did nothing. The boy would climb up the display, drag down a magazine, 'look at it' and then 'accidently' drop it behind the footrail. I had a quiet word with him, hoping that he would desist. Later, when we left the store - trolley full - I saw that he had returned with gusto. Oddly, all of the magazines but one were motoring mags. How I long for the days...!
Motoring magazines - matt35 {P}
Hillman,

A budding Moderator?

Matt35.
Motoring magazines - drbe
I wonder if the lad was doing this because virtually all motoring magazines are trash?

I long for the day when a magazine if published which is factual, informative, interesting and doesn't for in for ego boosting of already inflated egos. Take out the boredom of What Car, take out the ego boosting and general silliness of Top Gear, take out the cost of Which? magazine, take out the acres of eyeball hurting detail in Car Mechanics, put them all together and you might have a decent magazine.

Perhaps the lad is tomorrows publishing tycoon
Motoring magazines - PhilW
Hillman,
Just as annoying I find is that whenever I go to WHS to buy a car magazine you can't get near them for the row of (usually) men seemingly reading every magazine from cover to cover. If you do then buy your "new " magazine it is usually well-thumbed and is obviously very secondhand.
Motoring magazines - THe Growler
Any Philippines bookshop has all its mags sealed up with cling film, this is done after printing I think. Whatever, it deters private reading and your purchase is always pristine.
Motoring magazines - NitroBurner
Anybody remember "Motor"?

Was the best car magazine I thought. Unfortunately it 'merged' with another weekly about 15yrs ago. Gone, but not forgotten!
Motoring magazines - PR {P}
This months Car mag has a small column article, slagging of the new Fiat Panda, and its car of the year status, halfway down the column the "journalist" admits he hasnt actually ever driven one! (so that will be a balanced and well formed opinion then!)
Motoring magazines - Manatee
Even when they have driven them, inevitably they have a different viewpoint to somebody coughing up their own money. I used to give a lot more weight to views expressed in car mags until I recalled their largely unanimous enthusiasm for Alfasuds, and that they were all but extinct 3 years after they stopped importing them having fallen to pieces. Time will tell if the Panda is a good car or not.

The honourable exception is HJ, who does not recommend cars that real data show are not robust and reliable, even though the tests may make less sensational reading.
Does anybody else get the impression that the journalists are only interested in speed and 'whoosh'. The comfortably everyday cars don't get a good opinion at all, and most of it IS opinion. Are any of the journalists trained motor engineers, which would qualify them to report? They seem to be boy racers with white nuckles and flies on teeth. The Top Gear crew seem to write about themselves more than anything else.
Motoring magazines - peterb
"The Top Gear crew seem to write about themselves more than anything else."

At least the Top Gear people don't even pretend to be objective.
Sorry to bring up such an old thread.
Has anybody noticed that,with the exception of the HJ pages, the Telegraph motoring section has become boring and irrelevant? A recent article, supposedly on the Volvo V50, turned out to be almost not. It deserves a good spring clean, making the articles more relevant to motor cars and less to the journalists.

Has HJ spoken to the Telegraph regarding getting Growlette on the staff? It would be like a refreshing shower.

I've started to buy the Independant on Tuesday to get some real motoring content.
Motoring magazines - PhilW
Hillman,
Yep, I agree - used to read it from (almost) cover to cover, now tend to go to HJ, read that, then turn to James Mays and read that if it's about motoring which sometimes it isn't. Rest I just skim through
Motoring magazines - Sofa Spud
Autocar and Auto Express are getting more and more alike. They carry too many computer generated images of what they think forthcoming models look like, based on the descriptions gathered from 'informed sources'. A little bit of this is OK, but too often these articles are guesswork presented as fact.
I'd rather they stuck to spy shots of prototypes on test.

cheers, SS
Motoring magazines - Imagos
. They
carry too many computer generated images of what they think forthcoming
models look like,

I've got a huge pile of Autocar magazines dating back from 1989 onwards, and in nearly all cases the drawings or computer aided pictures of forthcoming models look nothing like what is actually launched.

The most laughable picture was from a 1997 edition of the Ford Focus. Looked nothing like what was the real thing.
Motoring magazines - quizman
You are correct Hillman, the Telegraph motoring section has become very poor of late, except of course HJ's column.
The photo of the posing Stephen Bayley is enough to put you off, nevermind the fact that you need a dictionary to understand the drivel he writes.
Mind you though, it is still better than the Sunday Times motoring section.(Apart for JC sometimes)
I also agree that most of the motoring mags have become rather childish, I thought that it was my age.
What Car has become just a mag to get a good deal. Which magazine just hires a car for the afternoon and then reports on it. A few years ago Which used to do proper road tests, much better.
Has anybody else read the 17th July edition of the Telegraph motoring section? There must surely be something better!
Do the Telegraph editors think that the readers find interest in a disc jockey who finds it necessary to gain respect by sprinkling his speech with four letter words? Worse still, do they?